Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backstop

Options
  • 21-06-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

hi guys

can anyone tell me roughly what deep of backstop one would need to stop a .308 round?

tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    hi guys

can anyone tell me roughly what deep of backstop one would need to stop a .308 round?

tommy
    An adequate sand bank or ditch is sufficient, but if your shooting on lower lands, then maybe you can build one quite economically. Some great ideas on the net. Seen a good one made from railroad sleepers and fill them with sand. You can make it as big or as small as you want. One i seen was only 4' high, For safety reasons I myself would prefer something higher and wider. 8' high and 8' wide be more suitable especially if your going to be pushing out the range as you probably will with a .308;) Safety is number 1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

hi guys

tommy

I have not got a .308 round to penetrate deeper than 6" or so in all types of earth or sand.

I would think it was the hight of the backstop moreso than the dept.

If you miss, you want to have several feet in all directions for the round to deploy its energy in.

The same rules apply for all rounds really.
    Safety on an air rifle should be treated the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As Tackleberrywho says, the majority of rifle rounds appear to be brought to a halt at a depth of 6-18 inches or so in sand or soil, as a bit of digging in the bullet trap at a range will attest.
    That's not the point of a 'backstop' though; the backstops at approved ranges are the size and shape they are so that they'll catch the rounds that aren't perfectly on target and to reduce the statistical chances of a round escaping the range to as close to zero as practically possible.

If you're thinking of knocking something 'informal' together somewhere, be very careful you don't do something that sees you coming to the attention of the Range Inspector and/or the subject of the test case that decides 'What is a Range?' :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

The side of a mountain blanketed in bog! might be alright for a one or two shot zero check, a sand quarry would be better..

And as far as things go it seems fairly well excepted that your allowed a few shots to check and adjust your zero..

Make sure that any soil bank you pick is safe and stable and try to avoid big rocks....

The side of a mountain blanketed in bog! might be alright for a one or two shot zero check, a sand quarry would be better..

And as far as things go it seems fairly well excepted that your allowed a few shots to check and adjust your zero..

Make sure that any soil bank you pick is safe and stable and try to avoid big rocks....

The High bank in a bog is ideal. as sand in a quarry can get into tight spots and cause irritation :D

Nobody can stop you zeroing, but if you decide to empty 100's of rounds you will get unwanted attention.

Midlands has the best back stops in Ireland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

the reason i asked is because i wondered that if i toke a few practice shots in the field what would i shoot at that would stop the round? this leads me to my next question if unstopped by anythin how far would a .308 round travel before it hit the ground?

tommy

the reason i asked is because i wondered that if i toke a few practice shots in the field what would i shoot at that would stop the round? this leads me to my next question if unstopped by anythin how far would a .308 round travel before it hit the ground?

tommy

A lot of physics here, I won't give you BS but in around the region of 2.5 miles.

The old .22lr extreme range is 1.5km on most HV rounds.
    .308n has a longer range exactly I am unsure, but a good few people have been killed around the world with eejits firing rifles into the air etc.

Most important, when in doubt DON'T SHOOT :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

According to the "experts" a .22 will travel for about 1.2 miles, a .223 for 2.2 miles and a .308 for roughly 3.4 miles. All these vary and depend on bullet type, grainage, make up etc. It is also understood that the bullet would "land/strike" at a 66 degree angle.

Also the rifle would have to be shot at between a 35-40 degree angle to achieve this distance and any TOOL doing this needs a slap. Worth keeping in mind when judging whether to take a shot or not.

.....................KNOW YOUR BACKSTOP......................
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    According to the "experts" a .22 will travel for about 1.2 miles, a .223 for 2.2 miles and a .308 for roughly 3.4 miles. All these vary and depend on bullet type, grainage, make up etc. It is also understood that the bullet would "land/strike" at a 66 degree angle.

Also the rifle would have to be shot at between a 35-40 degree angle to achieve this distance and any TOOL doing this needs a slap. Worth keeping in mind when judging whether to take a shot or not.

.....................KNOW YOUR BACKSTOP......................

Good Man Ezridax, good to see you back on Boards.
    I could not think of the exact distance. I knew it was quite a bit.

You may know more than most on backstops having built one quite sucessfully with a little help from a few good men :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

a guy in my local gaa culb was hit in the chest by a stray .22 bullet while he was doing umpire for an under 12 game. some lads on a hill shooting rabbits about a half mile away. he was ok after surgery and all but just shows you what can happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

This is one of the reasons why the assessment of land for shooting is best left to the professional who is familiar with firearms and the various calibres used on open land in such a small country as the RoI.

My $0.02

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LongGun

tac foley wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons why the assessment of land for shooting is best left to the professional who is familiar with firearms and the various calibres used on open land in such a small country as the RoI.

Opinions like that should be kept to yourself. The last thing we need in this country is the "Powers That Be" deciding on a "field-by-field" basis what calibres of firearm, if any, can be used. Greater Government control should not be a substitute for common sense.

LongGun wrote: »

Opinions like that should be kept to yourself. The last thing we need in this country is the powers that be deciding on a "field-by-field" basis what calibres of firearm, if any, can be used. Greater Government control should not be a substitute for common sense.

Easy there tiger.
    it was only an opinion.

And common sense is not that common.
    A bog high bang or a sandy, or earthy hill is a great back stop.

I have some deer hunting on extremely flat land, so I think a tree hid will be my best course of action.(or maybe the bucket of a teleporter :D)

LongGun wrote: »

Opinions like that should be kept to yourself. The last thing we need in this country is the "Powers That Be" deciding on a "field-by-field" basis what calibres of firearm, if any, can be used. Greater Government control should not be a substitute for common sense.

Here in UK it is not an 'opinion', but a requirement, and the calibre you are permitted to shoot over that land depends on it. You, the shooter, have to demonstrate to the FEO that you understand about safe directions and shooting angles that would prevent the repetition of incidents like bunny shooters from accidentally killing a golfer half a mile away. Just remind me what it was you that you said about common sense?

You'll admit, I hope, that if your golfing pal had been hit by a .308 he wouldn't be half so cheerful today.

He would, not to put too fine a point on it, be very dead.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

If a land is suitable to shoot a .22 in then it is suitable to shoot a .308 in it.

If its unsuitable for a .308 then its unsuitable for a .22....its up to the shooter to take responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 LongGun

Here in UK it is not an 'opinion', but a requirement, and the calibre you are permitted to shoot over that land depends on it. You, the shooter, have to demonstrate to the FEO that you understand about safe directions and shooting angles that would prevent the repetition of incidents like bunny shooters from accidentally killing a golfer half a mile away. Just remind me what it was you that you said about common sense?

You'll admit, I hope, that if your golfing pal had been hit by a .308 he wouldn't be half so cheerful today.

He would, not to put too fine a point on it, be very dead.

tac

This is Ireland, not the UK. We already have enough control of anything firearms related, be it from the DOJ or the mood of your Super, so as to have a strangle hold on Irish shooting and field sports. We don't need more and we don't need opinions form individuals outside the jurisdiction, especially those with no "vested interest" so as to have "nothing at stake", about how our firearm laws are not strict enough.

As for common sense, just because some individuals decide not to show any does that mean we should allow the Government to legislate for every aspect of our lives, there by removing the need for the rest of us to have a brain of our own?

In fact, maybe the next time I need to wipe my a*se I'll give Dermot Ahern a ring to find out how best to proceed, just in case.

patsat wrote: »
    If a land is suitable to shoot a .22 in then it is suitable to shoot a .308 in it.

If its unsuitable for a .308 then its unsuitable for a .22....its up to the shooter to take responsibility.

You mean like the guys who fired into the air, they knew not where, and hit a bystander?

Anyhow, I can see that this post is getting way too personal for me.

I'm off back where I belong, over on the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland site.

Bye now.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.................and the various calibres used on open land in such a small country as the RoI.

Condescending, arrogant and personally a very insulting tone to that post. Not the first time i might add.

What has the size of the country got to do with it? A field is a field, and the size of the country that field is in has no bearing on the ability to shoot safely or not. It is the individual shooter that makes that determination, and as they have been granted a firearms license, An Gardai seem to think that they are responsible enough to make such decisions.

This is the Republic of Ireland NOT the UK so as i would no more put up with people comparing us to the USA (gun culture and other crap of that nature) i do not like comparisons from people (seemingly) forcing their native countries customs, laws, practises and opinons down our throats with an air of superiority, as though we are losing out by not following suit.

Best to read your posts before submitting to avoid any further misunderstandings or (unintentional) insults.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Folks, can we keep the first rule of the charter in mind please? How we got to tearing strips off one another from such a specific OP escapes me, but I think we can drop the tearing strips bit there.

ezridax wrote: »
    Condescending, arrogant and personally a very insulting tone to that post. Not the first time i might add.

What has the size of the country got to do with it? A field is a field, and the size of the country that field is in has no bearing on the ability to shoot safely or not. It is the individual shooter that makes that determination, and as they have been granted a firearms license, An Gardai seem to think that they are responsible enough to make such decisions.

This is the Republic of Ireland NOT the UK so as i would no more put up with people comparing us to the USA (gun culture and other crap of that nature) i do not like comparisons from people (seemingly) forcing their native countries customs, laws, practises and opinons down our throats with an air of superiority, as though we are losing out by not following suit.

Best to read your posts before submitting to avoid any further misunderstandings or (unintentional) insults.

I'm sorry you see my perfectly simple statement as insulting. The rules I mentioned are in place here in UK simply because the UK, too, is a small country. You, in particular, seem to take great delight in belittling my comments on this board, in spite of my efforts to keep them friendly, helpful and informative. I hardly think that commenting the difference between the way you do things in Ireland differs from here in UK is 'forcing' anything down your throat in any way.

The firearms laws in the RoI remain the main difference between it and much of the rest of the world that shoots, but you will notice that at no time have I ever criticised them on this board, or any other board. Since I don't live there and am not bound by them, that would be out of place. I was simply letting you know how the laws are applied in another small country.

Sadly it appears that whatever I say on this forum, you will say that it is criticism of Ireland and possibly even you personally. Your ultra-defensive and parochial view - not wanting to hear how others, equally tied down by legislation, manage to cope against many obstacles - will, in the end count against you.

Perhaps a less defensive and easily offended attitude would not come amiss from your side.

In future I'll refrain from any mention whatosever of anything to do with shooting that is taking place anywhere except the Republic of Ireland on this board. As I've only been home once in the last ten years, for a security conference with An Garda Siochana, that will cut down my post-count considerably, to your undoubted delight.

For anybody else who may be interested in anything I might have to say in future, I DO provide a lot of shooting information about firearms and their history on another well-known Irish site.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

patsat wrote: »

If that were true then it would follow that any range that was passed suitable for .22 would also be passed suitable for .308 or any centre fire round.

They are not.

Would you (by the same level of reasoning) compare an air rifle to a .22?

To answer the original question, the depth of the backstop is not as important as its height. Providing the backstop is suitably high, it will also be suitably thick.

For ranges, the height of a backstop is usually based on a safety angle which eliminates the effect of distance. In other words, if you use the same angle at all times, your backstop will get higher at longer ranges. This aspect of range design is highly technical and involves calculations of ricochet angles and misaimed shots.

According to the UK MOD range guidelines, an appropriate safety angle for firing at a fixed target from a fixed firing point is approximately one and a half degrees. This equates to a 3m high backstop at 100 metres or 5.7m at 200 yards (assuming a prone firing position).

This also assumes that the area beyond the backstop is not populated. The size of this area is defined by the type of ammunition used.

rrpc wrote: »
    To answer the original question, the depth of the backstop is not as important as its height. Providing the backstop is suitably high, it will also be suitably thick.

For ranges, the height of a backstop is usually based on a safety angle which eliminates the effect of distance. In other words, if you use the same angle at all times, your backstop will get higher at longer ranges. This aspect of range design is highly technical and involves calculations of ricochet angles and misaimed shots.

According to the UK MOD range guidelines, an appropriate safety angle for firing at a fixed target from a fixed firing point is approximately one and a half degrees. This equates to a 3m high backstop at 100 metres or 5.7m at 200 yards (assuming a prone firing position).

This also assumes that the area beyond the backstop is not populated. The size of this area is defined by the type of ammunition used.

I helped build the biggest backstop in the country recently, and it was quite big.
    (photo's later ;) )

The most important [parts of a back stop are absorbsion of the round.
    The reason they have to make so big on ranges is they have to make them idiot proof.

ie worst case scenario and all that.

I do have to say I fire a shotty in a much different way than a rifle for that reason.
    the round trajectory effective range et al.

I am always consious that the .308 can go further and fawster than a .22lr.

I equally have fired air rifle indoors, Match quality rifles with the DF.
    Our backstop was hard plastic sheets.

i have also switnessed people hitting the ground on a military range and not the backstop.

If you build a house you design it with a risk assessment, if you build a public building that risk assessment is much different.(speaking from my experiences)

so for hunting, a safe back stop should be several metres high and several meters deep, of a material capable of absorbing the round.

a .308 will go through a deer so you want a safe backstop as the deer is not.

A range has to be extreme as people on a range may have never shot before and they require a super safe place to fire as a result before they go into a field.
    That is why I would encourage a young lad to do a bit of range work on paper before he goes into the field.
    So they would understand what they are doing before they start doing it.

My final point is for Mr Foley, Tac Sorry if your points were taken up wrong, it's just sometimes lads get very passionate about the sport they love. Take it with a good pinch of salt.

I still maintain you would be made welcome in Ireland.

a safe back stop should be several metres high and several meters deep
    Yes, but that's more to do with the physics of construction than the physics of terminal ballistics though - earthen berms can't be several metres tall and only a few centimetres thick, or they'll fall over. The vast majority of the berms you see on ranges isn't there to stop the rounds - that's done by less than a few percent of the mass - but to stop the berm from collapsing.

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, but that's more to do with the physics of construction than the physics of terminal ballistics though - earthen berms can't be several metres tall and only a few centimetres thick, or they'll fall over. The vast majority of the berms you see on ranges isn't there to stop the rounds - that's done by less than a few percent of the mass - but to stop the berm from collapsing.

Oh I agree totally, (I thought that was my poin, maybe it was earlier in the post)
    I have shown pics of retrieving my .308 out of earthen backstops.

If hunting, shooting into a hill/ bog bank IMHO is as good as it gets.

As I said I helped construct the biggest back stop in Ireland, I drove a 9 tonne twaites onto the top of it:eek:
    Sand by its nature will always slide/roll.

Most backstops on ranges are measured every few months and added to if the wind has eroded them away.

I helped build the biggest backstop in the country recently, and it was quite big.
    (photo's later ;) )

The most important [parts of a back stop are absorbsion of the round.
    The reason they have to make so big on ranges is they have to make them idiot proof.
    ie worst case scenario and all that.
    Idiots aren't confined to ranges ;)

Before the backstop is capable of absorbing the round's energy, it has to be in its path. Hence it must be the correct height for the distance to the shooter.
    I equally have fired air rifle indoors, Match quality rifles with the DF.
    Our backstop was hard plastic sheets.
    That's not ideal. The backsplash distance for air rifle is 10m and hard plastic is a very good deflector. Plywood or softboard is much more effective.
    so for hunting, a safe back stop should be several metres high and several meters deep, of a material capable of absorbing the round.
    As I said earlier, it's all relative to the distance. A one and a half degree increase in elevation (and lets face it 1½ degrees is a tiny deviation) will have the round clearing 13.5m at 500m and a whopping 27m at 1000m. That's almost 90 feet :eek:
    A range has to be extreme as people on a range may have never shot before and they require a super safe place to fire as a result before they go into a field.
    No, a range is designed to be safe for all shots because there are a lot more shots fired on a range than 'in the field' and the chances of misaimed shots become statistical certainty very quickly indeed. It has nothing to do with the level of competence of the users, in fact if anything, the competence of the user should already be negated on a range due to the presence of ROs and RCOs as well as strict induction training and safety procedures.

That's not ideal. The backsplash distance for air rifle is 10m and hard plastic is a very good deflector. Plywood or softboard is much more effective.
    The backsplash distance is actually a lot more than 10m, as I've found myself on more than one occasion :D
    But angled hard plastic is actually pretty useful, so long as it's deflecting into a containment vessel of some kind (there are similar systems for smallbore too, using spiral conduits - though not using plastic :D ).
    No, a range is designed to be safe for all shots because there are a lot more shots fired on a range than 'in the field' and the chances of misaimed shots become statistical certainty very quickly indeed. It has nothing to do with the level of competence of the users, in fact if anything, the competence of the user should already be negated on a range due to the presence of ROs and RCOs as well as strict induction training and safety procedures.
    Though isn't there a part of the range standards that covers accidental shots (from a dropped loaded rifle or a standing shooter passing out or whatever)?

Idiots aren't confined to ranges ;) I never said that!

Before the backstop is capable of absorbing the round's energy, it has to be in its path. Hence it must be the correct height for the distance to the shooter.
    That is what I said

That's not ideal. The backsplash distance for air rifle is 10m and hard plastic is a very good deflector. Plywood or softboard is much more effective. Nothing in the DF is best , it is the cheapest :D!

As I said earlier, it's all relative to the distance. A one and a half degree increase in elevation (and lets face it 1½ degrees is a tiny deviation) will have the round clearing 13.5m at 500m and a whopping 27m at 1000m. That's almost 90 feet :eek:
    Most hunting is done at 50-150m your 13.5 @500 is a small hill ;)

be that as it may a Civie range is a public place and has to be up to ridiculous standards .

Most hunting is done at 50-150m your 13.5 @500 is a small hill ;)
    OK, 14 feet at 150m :p. Remember that it's only an angular deviation of 1½ degrees, change that to 5 degrees and your bullet will clear 13.5m at 150 (or a small hill if you prefer ;))
    be that as it may a Civie range is a public place and has to be up to ridiculous standards .
    Actually the standards we've worked to for very many years were military ones. The current standards are a derivation of original military standards with additional areas that by their nature would be civilian only. I don't agree that they are ridiculous. Their purpose is to make shooting a safe and enjoyable sport and that it continues to be for the forseeable future. Even with all these standards, the strangest and most bizarre things can happen. I remember shooting on Century Range in Bisley when an immediate cease fire was called; the reason being that some idiot decided to take his dog for a walk along the top of the butts (with over 200 rifles pointing at him :eek:).
    Sparks wrote:
    Though isn't there a part of the range standards that covers accidental shots (from a dropped loaded rifle or a standing shooter passing out or whatever)?
    All ranges are engineered to factor out the effect of misaimed, accidental or other discharges. They are either designed as Danger Area, Limited Danger Area or No Danger Area ranges and also combinations of the above. The idea being that either no shot can leave the range area, or shots that leave the range area can do no damage.

• Advertisement

So we are broadly in agreement, thank god for that! :D

The midlands of Ireland are fully of sandy hills and bogs so it is actually a great place to find a safe backstop.

I still have the quandary of some deer permissions in an Glacial outwash plain with slugs not permitted, yet in my opinion they would be best suited for the job.

But hey, them's are the rules!

Advertisement