Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backstop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

yer making a mountain out of a molehill lads:p jokin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

rrpc wrote: »
    If that were true then it would follow that any range that was passed suitable for .22 would also be passed suitable for .308 or any centre fire round.

They are not.

Would you (by the same level of reasoning) compare an air rifle to a .22?

I wrote that post in response to tac foleys post about shooting angles and suitability of land.

I wouldn't fire my .270 into the air nor would I an air rifle.

Ranges are a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

patsat wrote: »
    I wrote that post in response to tac foleys post about shooting angles and suitability of land.

I wouldn't fire my .270 into the air nor would I an air rifle.

Ranges are a different story.
    How are ranges a different story? Do calibres suddenly change characteristics when they're on a range?

How are ranges a different story? Do calibres suddenly change characteristics when they're on a range?

As I have said before I was talking in relation to the comment about shooting angles? When would it be ok to fire a .22 into the air and unsuitable to fire a .308?

I never talked about a range so why are you bringing it up? The conversation was about suitability of land??:rolleyes:

As I have said before I was talking in relation to the comment about shooting angles? When would it be ok to fire a .22 into the air and unsuitable to fire a .308?
    Nobody mentioned shooting into the air, so the issue of suitability doesn't enter into it. As I've pointed out earlier, a 1.5 degree angle would equate to 13.5m at 500 yards by which distance (assuming the 1.5 degrees is above sightline) a .22 round would have hit the ground whereas a .308 would still be travelling. That in itself is a significant difference which would bring the terrain and land suitability into question.
    I never talked about a range so why are you bringing it up? The conversation was about suitability of land??:rolleyes:
    Our conversation was about whether land suitable for .22 would also be suitable for .308 and vice versa; an assertion you made in response to tac foley's post and with which I disagree. Ranges came into it because they differentiate between rimfire and centrefire quite significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Nobody mentioned shooting into the air, so the issue of suitability doesn't enter into it. As I've pointed out earlier, a 1.5 degree angle would equate to 13.5m at 500 yards by which distance (assuming the 1.5 degrees is above sightline) a .22 round would have hit the ground whereas a .308 would still be travelling. That in itself is a significant difference which would bring the terrain and land suitability into question.

Our conversation was about whether land suitable for .22 would also be suitable for .308 and vice versa; an assertion you made in response to tac foley's post and with which I disagree. Ranges came into it because they differentiate between rimfire and centrefire quite significantly.

Shooting into the air was mentioned in Patsat's defence earlier in the thread.

I have seen folk fire .22lr and .223 on the same 100 yard range.
    Main difference was sound insulation ;)

There is a fair drop on a .308 too, one of it's Achilles heels.
    Almost 4 feet @ 500 in some grains.

So lads, it is all relative.
    It all comes with experience and training/instruction.

Shooting into the air was mentioned in Patsat's defence earlier in the thread.
    After he made the statement about land being suitable for both calibres, not before which makes it irrelevant to this discussion, which is about that statement.
    I have seen folk fire .22lr and .223 on the same 100 yard range.
    Main difference was sound insulation ;)
    But the range is authorised for centre fire and so also for rimfire. If it was only authorised for rimfire, you wouldn't see or hear it :rolleyes:
    There is a fair drop on a .308 too, one of it's Achilles heels.
    Almost 4 feet @ 500 in some grains.
    So what takes care of the other 40 feet?

After he made the statement about land being suitable for both calibres, not before which makes it irrelevant to this discussion, which is about that statement.

But the range is authorised for centre fire and so also for rimfire. If it was only authorised for rimfire, you wouldn't see or hear it :rolleyes:

So what takes care of the other 40 feet?

Well I don't normally use 40 feet hold over ;)

Well I don't normally use 40 feet hold over ;)
    It's not a holdover, it's a misaimed or misdirected shot 1.5 degrees above the line of sight. Not beyond the realms of possibility; a badly handled recoil would have a similar effect or a mistimed trigger release coming down on to the target.

It's not a holdover, it's a misaimed or misdirected shot 1.5 degrees above the line of sight. Not beyond the realms of possibility; a badly handled recoil would have a similar effect or a mistimed trigger release coming down on to the target.

Thats why the trigger is the last part engaged.
    To make sure you are on target.

I'd question where this line of sight is, all things are relative.
    As all rounds travel in a curve the all hit the ground sooner or later.
    If the target is a bunny ayt the bottom of a hill and the hill is 50 feet tall and the shooter fires @ 180 deg parallel with the ground, the barrel being 10" above the ground 100 metres from a target etc...

Sounds like we are getting back into Theoretical and not actual.
    I could quote degrees and angles all day, i do not bring a protractor out in the field.

Good judgement comes from learning ones craft on the small bore and then moving out to the larger bore.

The situation may change, the rules stay the same;)
    Know your back stop.

• Advertisement

If you take time to look back Tac talks about shooting angles in order to prevent accidents such as a golfer being shot from half a mile away.....

Feidhlim Dignan also tells of a GAA umpire who was hit by a .22 bullet from half a mile away....

Does this not mean shooting into the air??

Thats why the trigger is the last part engaged.
    To make sure you are on target.
    Doesn't matter whether it's the first or last if the other mechanical elements of being on target fail for an unforeseen reason. Misdirected shots happen, they don't happen often, but they do happen regardless of your utopian dream. Which is why you try to engineer the situation to cover such unforeseen possibilities
    I'd question where this line of sight is, all things are relative.
    As all rounds travel in a curve the all hit the ground sooner or later.
    If the target is a bunny ayt the bottom of a hill and the hill is 50 feet tall and the shooter fires @ 180 deg parallel with the ground, the barrel being 10" above the ground 100 metres from a target etc...
    The line of sight is a direct line from the rifle to the target. It's not rocket science, it's simple mechanics. Your sights may be offset to take account of the path of the bullet, but the line of sight is always straight. A deviation from that line happens at the shooters end and can be caused by anything from a sneeze to a fouled barrel.
    Sounds like we are getting back into Theoretical and not actual.
    I could quote degrees and angles all day, i do not bring a protractor out in the field.
    No we are talking about statistical probability, only last week we had a poster here complaining about 10 shots missing his target completely for a (then) unknown reason.
    Good judgement comes from learning ones craft on the small bore and then moving out to the larger bore.
    And if your judgment does not take into account the possibility of a misdirected shot then it's not very good is it?

If you take time to look back Tac talks about shooting angles in order to prevent accidents such as a golfer being shot from half a mile away.....

Feidhlim Dignan also tells of a GAA umpire who was hit by a .22 bullet from half a mile away....

Does this not mean shooting into the air??
    Only in the sense that every shot is in the air until it hits the target. The question is whether or not the target was the intended one.

Doesn't matter whether it's the first or last if the other mechanical elements of being on target fail for an unforeseen reason. Misdirected shots happen, they don't happen often, but they do happen regardless of your utopian dream. Which is why you try to engineer the situation to cover such unforeseen possibilities

The line of sight is a direct line from the rifle to the target. It's not rocket science, it's simple mechanics. Your sights may be offset to take account of the path of the bullet, but the line of sight is always straight. A deviation from that line happens at the shooters end and can be caused by anything from a sneeze to a fouled barrel.
    A fouled barrel will not send a round at 100 yards out of the ballpark, as I use Moly I have no fouling :D

No we are talking about statistical probability, only last week we had a poster here complaining about 10 shots missing his target completely for a (then) unknown reason.
    Probability dictates variation is natural, not every shooter experiences same issues. Experiences would have stopped the experienced shooter after shot 1 was not on target to Investigate, Root cause, Trouble shoot which ever expression you prefer

And if your judgment does not take into account the possibility of a misdirected shot then it's not very good is it?

My judgement is just fine ;)
    The trigger finger is the ultimate safety.
    when in doubt don't deploy finger.

backstops like the Himalayas are for worst case scenario's.

As you have already explained in simple terms for us lay people. A small hill as a backstop at 100 is just the bees knees.

Or the sugar loaf if you are a bad shot :D

My judgement is just fine ;)
    The trigger finger is the ultimate safety.
    when in doubt don't deploy finger.

backstops like the Himalayas are for worst case scenario's.

As you have already explained in simple terms for us lay people. A small hill as a backstop at 100 is just the bees knees.

Or the sugar loaf if you are a bad shot :D
    Complacency is the worst thing you can bring to the field: You're never in doubt when you do something wrong, that's why it happens. I have been shooting for over thirty years and fired tens of thousands of rounds and I freely admit that I've had my fair share of misdirected shots through any number of factors.

The trigger finger is not the ultimate safety, anything but. It's the most dangerous part of the shot routine and is wont to do any number of unpredictable things through weather, stiffness, carelessness or just plain in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've managed to catch the trigger whilst closing the bolt, not felt the second pressure through coldness and slipped off the woodwork because of sweat in extreme heat.

And please don't minimise the need for an adequate backstop, if you don't have one, chances are it'll be when you need it most. You may think you're completely safe, but you cannot in all honesty tell me that every shot you ever took went where you wanted to send it.

Complacency is the worst thing you can bring to the field: You're never in doubt when you do something wrong, that's why it happens. I have been shooting for over thirty years and fired tens of thousands of rounds and I freely admit that I've had my fair share of misdirected shots through any number of factors.

The trigger finger is not the ultimate safety, anything but. It's the most dangerous part of the shot routine and is wont to do any number of unpredictable things through weather, stiffness, carelessness or just plain in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've managed to catch the trigger whilst closing the bolt, not felt the second pressure through coldness and slipped off the woodwork because of sweat in extreme heat.

And please don't minimise the need for an adequate backstop, if you don't have one, chances are it'll be when you need it most. You may think you're completely safe, but you cannot in all honesty tell me that every shot you ever took went where you wanted to send it.

I never said that a back stop was not important, I was being proportional that is all RRPC.

I would recommend shooters gloves for winter, and checkering for your timber or an ergo grip.

I have been only hunting 25 years or so, but these were the tips I picked up.

Of course I have missed targets RRPC, But I was always in the ball park. not in the next parish.
    I have to thank my granddad lord rest him for that.
    He was a great instructor.

I never said that a back stop was not important, I was being proportional that is all RRPC.

I would recommend shooters gloves for winter, and checkering for your timber or an ergo grip.

I have been only hunting 25 years or so, but these were the tips I picked up.

Of course I have missed targets RRPC, But I was always in the ball park. not in the next parish.
    I have to thank my granddad lord rest him for that.
    He was a great instructor.
    You can't use a 40 gram trigger with gloves on without creating more problems. The slip of the finger only happened once. You however have missed my point entirely, which is that sh*t happens whether you think you've prepared for it or not. And a misdirected shot is a misdirected shot regardless of where it ends up and quite frankly how do you know where it ended up if it was misdirected? In my case, the end result was a six instead of a ten so the only thing damaged was my pride :o

What you seem to be arguing for here Tack is that people should ignore all the learned data about shooting and rely entirely on their own abilities and not take any account of the phsyical characteristics of the land they are shooting on. That they should take every shot secure in the knowledge that they can do no wrong and that there is no need to take into account even the merest possibility of a shot going astray.

I pointed out that the smallest angular deviation of a rifle (no more than a twitch of a half degree) can send a round 20 feet above the line of sight at 500 metres when we're discussing firearms that can send bullets up to seven times that distance and you claim I'm not being proportional?

You can't use a 40 gram trigger with gloves on without creating more problems. The slip of the finger only happened once. You however have missed my point entirely, which is that sh*t happens whether you think you've prepared for it or not. And a misdirected shot is a misdirected shot regardless of where it ends up and quite frankly how do you know where it ended up if it was misdirected? In my case, the end result was a six instead of a ten so the only thing damaged was my pride :o

What you seem to be arguing for here Tack is that people should ignore all the learned data about shooting and rely entirely on their own abilities and not take any account of the phsyical characteristics of the land they are shooting on. That they should take every shot secure in the knowledge that they can do no wrong and that there is no need to take into account even the merest possibility of a shot going astray.

I pointed out that the smallest angular deviation of a rifle (no more than a twitch of a half degree) can send a round 20 feet above the line of sight at 500 metres when we're discussing firearms that can send bullets up to seven times that distance and you claim I'm not being proportional?

I never ignore lkearned data

I do a risk assesment every time I go shooting. So do you I expect.

Every time we fire or discharge a firearm we run a risk.
    I said we were broadly in agreement about 4 posts ago.

Yet we are still talking about it!
    You speak to me about angles if I have no concept of them?
    If you want to send a projectile 7x500 metres, you need serious hold over.

So 1 deg would not cut the mustard.
    I take my hat of to anyone who can hold over at that distance.

Flat shooting round or not.
    I am affording proportionality to the rounds speed weight and SD.

Two guys from Oz Recently tested a back stop for an Air Rifle.;)

I really think we have talked this to death. we are in agreement on a backstop is needed, we both say it needs to be higher than the target, we both say it has to be able to absorb the round

Can we move on now?
    More interesting Threads on the go ;)

I said we were broadly in agreement about 4 posts ago.

Yet we are still talking about it!
    More like ten posts and then you jumped into a subsequent discussion between myself and patsat and away we went again :rolleyes:
    You speak to me about angles if I have no concept of them?
    If you want to send a projectile 7x500 metres, you need serious hold over.

So 1 deg would not cut the mustard.
    I take my hat of to anyone who can hold over at that distance.
    Well apparently you still don't understand what I'm talking about. I'll spell it out really carefully.

You take aim at a bunny at 300 yards, something goes wrong with your shot and it goes away one degree high (measured at the muzzle of your rifle). The bullet clears your bunny by a good 5m and carries on passing 500m now 9m above the original bunny bashing height. Merrily it carries on its way (having lost a few feet through trajectory) passing the 1000m mark some 18m above the line of sight minus trajectory shift. Your original backstop was a sandbank 20 feet high about 100 yards behind the bunny which the bullet cleared by a good four or five feet. Do you understand now?

Say yes and indeed we can move on. ;)

More like ten posts and then you jumped into a subsequent discussion between myself and patsat and away we went again :rolleyes:)

I wudn't call what we had a discussion...

• Advertisement

I wudn't call what we had a discussion...
    :D

More like ten posts and then you jumped into a subsequent discussion between myself and patsat and away we went again :rolleyes:

Well apparently you still don't understand what I'm talking about. I'll spell it out really carefully.

You take aim at a bunny at 300 yards, something goes wrong with your shot and it goes away one degree high (measured at the muzzle of your rifle). The bullet clears your bunny by a good 5m and carries on passing 500m now 9m above the original bunny bashing height. Merrily it carries on its way (having lost a few feet through trajectory) passing the 1000m mark some 18m above the line of sight minus trajectory shift. Your original backstop was a sandbank 20 feet high about 100 yards behind the bunny which the bullet cleared by a good four or five feet. Do you understand now?

Say yes and indeed we can move on. ;)

You are right, we can move on.
    If the bunny was bunny, he lives on a sandbank.
    If round misses, normally left or right due to wind speed.

In regards to your question?
    I will never understand you :D

You have bunnies 100 yards from a ditch/Hill/backstop never happens.
    the live at the butt of hills.

A miss to me is not hitting a bunnies head @ 300 not missing him by 5 metres.

You must get a nightforce and an accurised centrefire rifle.

missing by 5 metres, I'd return the rifle to RFD as a Dud ;)

I feel your pain!:D

You are right, we can move on.
    If the bunny was bunny, he lives on a sandbank.
    If round misses, normally left or right due to wind speed.

You have bunnies 100 yards from a ditch/Hill/backstop never happens.
    the live at the butt of hills.

A miss to me is not hitting a bunnies head @ 300 not missing him by 5 metres.

You must get a nightforce and an accurised centrefire rifle.

missing by 5 metres, I'd return the rifle to RFD as a Dud ;)
    Oh. Good. Lord.

The shot is misdirected, not misaimed.

Something happens for it to go astray; you sneeze, a dog comes along and pees on you, a golden eagle swoops down and takes your hat, your bipod breaks, you're lying prone on sand and a mole comes up and eats your crotch. Something goes FUBAR and the shot goes wonky.

And the bunny came out of a burrow in a small ditch between you and your sandbank backstop.

I really think I might have to draw a picture :eek:

Oh. Good. Lord.

The shot is misdirected, not misaimed.

Something happens for it to go astray; you sneeze, a dog comes along and pees on you, a golden eagle swoops down and takes your hat, your bipod breaks, you're lying prone on sand and a mole comes up and eats your crotch. Something goes FUBAR and the shot goes wonky.

And the bunny came out of a burrow in a small ditch between you and your sandbank backstop.

I really think I might have to draw a picture :eek:

picture would be good :p
    No moles in ireland, all the Eagles are poisoned, I don't have hayfever and A dog peeing on me?
    I'd pee on the dog.

FUBAR , that would be the Bunny. red Mist

I never disagreed about needing a backstop.
    I even posted pics of a .308 after hitting a good backstop.
    I did fie it @ 50 yards, which might mess up your maths as the rifle would have to be pointed into the air to overcome the backstop.

Maybe I should draw a picture too?
    or post one?

I never disagreed about needing a backstop.
    I even posted pics of a .308 after hitting a good backstop.
    I did fie it @ 50 yards, which might mess up your maths as the rifle would have to be pointed into the air to overcome the backstop.

Maybe I should draw a picture too?
    or post one?
    I think it would be kindest to end this discussion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Quote[ezridax]
    This is the Republic of Ireland NOT the UK so as i would no more put up with people comparing us to the USA (gun culture and other crap of that nature) i do not like comparisons from people (seemingly) forcing their native countries customs, laws, practises and opinons down our throats with an air of superiority, as though we are losing out by not following suit.

Quote[Tac]The firearms laws in the ROI remain the main difference between it and much of the rest of the world that shoots, but you will notice that at no time have I ever criticised them on this board, or any other board. Since I don't live there and am not bound by them that would be out of place. I was simply letting you know how the laws are applied in another small country.

Sadly it appears that whatever I say on this forum, you will say that it is criticism of Ireland and possibly even you personally. Your ultra-defensive and parochial view - not wanting to hear how others, equally tied down by legislation, manage to cope against many obstacles - will, in the end count against you.

Ezridax, as an Irish shooter I find your response to Tac foley very offensive and not representative of the opinion of most Irish shooters.

You state (This is the Republic of Ireland NOT the UK so as i would no more put up with people comparing us to the USA (gun culture and other crap of that nature)

Are you aware that all ranges to date in ROI are built to JSP403 British Military of Defence standards or Canadian, we are told that the new range standards will be based on the Canadian Standard so whether you like it or not we have and will have outside influences effecting our shooting sports.

And then when we have the powers that be deciding to do it the Irish way in relation to the firearms acts, we discover they have made a complete cock up of it. Because of the new firearms system we now have more unlicensed/illegal firearms in the country than we ever had.

Ezridax no disrespect, but maybe you are just working on your own agenda and not considering other people in the shooting sports.

Above is my opinion only and has nothing to do with any club or association that I am part of.

Sikamick

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sikamick wrote: »
    Ezridax, as an Irish shooter I find your response to Tac foley very offensive and not representative of the opinion of most Irish shooters.

I said it offended me "PERSONALLY". Not you, or anyone else.

.................... maybe you are just working on your own agenda .............

Thats a rather serious accusation. :eek::mad:

So as not to get banned by breaching charter rules and Sparks warning (as per post #20)............
    Sparks wrote:
    Folks, can we keep the first rule of the charter in mind please? How we got to tearing strips off one another from such a specific OP escapes me, but I think we can drop the tearing strips bit there

..................... i will refrain from posting further in this thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I think it would be kindest to end this discussion now.

RRPC,
    I agree with you. I read your earlier post somewhere in the first page or so and thought it is posts like that one which make this board worthwhile - good information, succinctly expressed. Sadly, to find some words of wisdom here one has to wade through drivel, writen by those who clearly know little. (I could say wade through posts by those who put mouth into gear before operating brain, but that would be complimenting them by admitting that they had the latter.) Look at the posters and what they write; look at the replies and you will see that those who contribute meaningful FACTS on a regular basis ignore the drivel posters and do not argue. No point in doing so, you could be goaded into saying something that could be considered offensive and getting a caution. (Like me.:() Drivel posters get away with it because they keep BB numbers up. Ignore them.
    Rs
    P.

• Advertisement

Interesting post ;)

Advertisement