Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backstop

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Interesting post ;)

I wonder who he's referring to :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I wonder who he's referring to :p

So do I Bunny.
    It seems lately there has been a lot of ill will on this forum.

Hopefully it has stopped now ;)

Did you take a look at the back stop I helped construct at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

It seems lately there has been a lot of ill will on this forum.

It's only cyber space here NOT reality, what goes on here stays here as far as I'm concerned
    Hopefully it has stopped now ;)

Lull before the storm, maybe :eek:

No, not yet ;)

It's only cyber space here NOT reality, what goes on here stays here as far as I'm concerned

Lull before the storm, maybe :eek:

No, not yet ;)

I have a pic, but the lads asked me not to post until Range was in operation.

It is an impressive site if I do say so myself.
    Some fun driving a 9 tonne dumper up it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

rrpc wrote: »
    How are ranges a different story? Do calibres suddenly change characteristics when they're on a range?

I actually am a lot more comfortable firing a center fire rifle in a field situation than a rimfire one for the simple reason that center fire calibres tend to be significantly less ricochet prone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I actually am a lot more comfortable firing a center fire rifle in a field situation than a rimfire one for the simple reason that center fire calibres tend to be significantly less ricochet prone.
    Yes, the significantly higher energy of a centre fire round is more likely to fragment the bullet rather than ricochet it. However, that high energy is also likely to allow fragments of the bullet continue for some considerable distance. The physics that causes a bullet to skip and therefore ricochet does not take a holiday because you're using centre fire ammo and you don't always get the distinctive ricochet sound to alert you.

I agree with you on that, the simplest rule is still the best. If there's any niggles in your mind about a shot don't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

What backstop is that??

patsat wrote: »
    What backstop is that??

The Biggest one in the country.

PM me your e-mail and i'll e-mail you a pic. the lads don't want me to post one until it is open to the public and on the website.

Sorry meant to say where??

• Advertisement

I've been shooting on indoor ranges where the backstops were made of shredded aircraft tyres ( no metal wire in them ) . According to the folks running it the place it should be fine to stop just about any rifle round you could get your hands on.

Sorry meant to say where??

Midlands

No need for a pic!

Was up their with a friend on saturday with the .270! Nice set up I must say!

Ya that 1200 yards looks pretty impressive!

No need for a pic!

Was up their with a friend on saturday with the .270! Nice set up I must say!

Ya that 1200 yards looks pretty impressive!

A great backstop ;)

Fairplay to lads who gave their summer holidays off work to help it.
    Especially a wee man from the wee County.

You know who you are ;)
    2nd biggest public range in Europe now :D

I was proud to be a small part of it, others gave waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time and effort than I.
    You know who you guys are too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

seen a video on youtube lately about an underground range in england, it was just two seperate concrete pipe lines about 100m long underground with targets at the end and a big heap of sand behind them, i'll try find the link to it, some echo in there

ormondprop wrote: »
    seen a video on youtube lately about an underground range in england, it was just two seperate concrete pipe lines about 100m long underground with targets at the end and a big heap of sand behind them, i'll try find the link to it, some echo in there

Try Reds Indoor range South Austin TX.

100 yard indoor range, I fired an AK47 there amongst other guns :D

http://www.redsguns.com/facilities.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ormondprop wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fieldsportschannel#p/a/u/1/Cqe8eKxekgk
    shows it for about the first minute and a half then again about 11.30 minutes in

Hey does anyone know the current fee for membership to the midlands and yearly rate after that??

I'm thinking of joining!:D

Hey does anyone know the current fee for membership to the midlands and yearly rate after that??

I'm thinking of joining!:D

Joining year 1 is expensive and €285 a year after that.

Not sure new member fee.
    I'm a member a long time so I can't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I was chattint Jim a few weeks ago. I think he said its 585. Not 100pc sure but it was 5 something anyway for new members. I think they are taking new members in July i think he said. Best give him a buzz

• Advertisement
Advertisement