Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chile vs Switzerland (Group H - Monday - 3:00pm)

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Chile may steal a draw at Spain IMO. I haven't seen Honduras so have no idea about them.

Chile wasting chance after chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Never let that lad near the pitch again.

Two terrible finishes.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

The absolute idiot... that could be the difference between qualifying and not qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cross!

What a goal that would have been. OMG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

What a miss,

that is shocking.

Switzerland should have scored... bet hes regretting their substitution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Chile are actually awful.

1-0 up with a few minutes to go and they are committing 7/8 men forward.

Getting in great positions and being ridiculously greedy and missing chance after chance.

Complete inability to defend.

Poor finishing all round.

Score that goal and Swiss were through IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Chile have some very greedy players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well done Ref, diving Cheat.

Finally a dive is penalised

Referee in making good decision shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

How is this 1-0:pac:

Paredes is fucking useless

FT. The win was the most important thing, so Im delighted with that at least.

Disgraceful dive there. Chile have great technical players but still not convinced.

Dire finishing and too greedy. Remind me slightly of Ghana.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Best match so far - crazy but full of tension!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I dont get RTE going on about how the swiss desperately need a point. Worst case scenario they have to beat Honduras by 2 and thats ONLY if spain win their two games and only beat Chile by one. Otherwise 6 points would do them and Spain would go out or Chile if Spain beat them by 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell, not sure what Swiss player it was but at the end there he had 3 chances to cross into the box in the last minute and 3 times he couldn't get the ball into the box....terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

MR NINE wrote: »
    I dont get it. Is it coz I asked what the record was when someone had already previously posted it?

No no, i just found it funny that when they beat the record, they conceded a goal almost straight away.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I dont get RTE going on about how the swiss desperately need a point. Worst case scenario they have to beat Honduras by 2 and thats ONLY if spain win their two games and only beat Chile by one. Otherwise 6 points would do them and Spain would go out or Chile if Spain beat them by 2.

Do you honestly think that the Swiss with their tactics can score 2 goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Switzerland are anti-football according to RTE panel. Cant say I disagree with them. Last World Cup they bored the ****e outta me. Spain and Chile would bring much more to latter stages if they went through.

Not sure about RTE panel lambasting the Swiss. Plenty of other teams have used tactics like that before and they praised their defence.

Also I thought the Swiss were not that defensive especially in the last half hour.

I mean anti football jibes from Ardiles and co, while drooling over Chile. Too far fetched.

murpho999 wrote: »

I assume they will change their tactics, and they aren't too bad going foreward. They might have won this match if it wasn't for the unfair sending off

Easily. They scored one against Spain, and should have had more.
    They can easily score two vs Honduras.

• Advertisement

Switzerland are anti-football according to RTE panel. Cant say I disagree with them. Last World Cup they bored the ****e outta me. Spain and Chile would bring much more to latter stages if they went through.

Trying to get players sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yes I do. They had the right tactics against the best team in the word and picked up 3 points luckily therefore the right thing to do was look for a point today so again, right tactics, unlucky. I think they'll play more attacking football against Honduras and remember they only need to win by two if Spain beat Chile by 1. Otherwise a win (or if Spain lose) a draw will do.

DB10 wrote: »
    Not sure about RTE panel lambasting the Swiss. Plenty of other teams have used tactics like that before and they praised their defence.

Also I thought the Swiss were not that defensive especially in the last half hour.

I mean anti football jibes from Ardiles and co, while drooling over Chile. Too far fetched.

Well I agree with them. Swiss are and always have been terrible to watch, not just in this World Cup but in other World Cups and European Championships that they have qualified for.

They have always bored me and I have never missed them when they get knocked out. I can never remember seeing them playing exciting football.

Well I agree with them. Swiss are and always have been terrible to watch, not just in this World Cup but in other World Cups and European Championships that they have qualified for.

They have always bored me and I have never missed them when they get knocked out. I can never remember seeing them playing exciting football.

A lot of world fans felt the same about the Ireland teams under Jack Charlton. They actually weren't that negative until the sending off today.

Switzerland are a small football nation like us. Yet they have qualified for most major tournaments in the last 15 years. Why should they alter their tactics?

In all fairness it is no different from about a dozen English PL sides in the supposed worlds greatest league.

And anyway it is a long time ago since I seen Ireland playing open expansive football, if ever at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

DB10 wrote: »
    Switzerland are a small football nation like us. Yet they have qualified for most major tournaments in the last 15 years. Why should they alter their tactics?

In all fairness it is no different from about a dozen English PL sides in the supposed worlds greatest league.

And anyway it is a long time ago since I seen Ireland playing open expansive football, if ever at all.

We have seen many of the big clubs adopt the negative tactics over recent seasons when they come up against a vastly superior technical opponent. You can moan it ruins the game as a spectacle (it does) but whats the alternative ? Lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I would much rather watch Chile than Switzerland. Swiss were negative, lack creativity, where as Chile looked exciting and attacking and WANTED to win.

ref was a joke though.

I hate to say it but I think this WC will be remembered for the awful refereeing more than anything else.

Get it sorted FIFA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/21/swiss-rolled-by-red-hot-chile/

I can't help but look forward to Roja v Roja - Chile v Spain. I have a lot of respect for Ottmar Hitzfeld and his team but I think that both Chile and Spain will now progress. That is unless Honduras are able to keep the score down well enough against Spain. Chile might find themselves caught out in the end on goal difference. Their two wins have only been 1-0s and with Spain left to play them there is a distinct possibility that they will end up with a smaller goal difference than the Swiss, should Hitzfeld's lads beat Honduras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

This could very well be one of those groups where a team on 6 points actually doesn't progress!!

Say for instance Spain tonight. They go level/ahead of Switzerland on goals. Spain then go on to beat Chile in the final game. If Switzerland were to beat Honduras in the final game that's the 3 boys on 6 points! Goal difference in this group could be very important!

I think Switzerland have the advantage out of all the teams. They know if they win by two against the Honduras they are guranteed through. If Chile and Spain draw, Spain are out. If Chile win, Spain is out. If Spain win by a certain amount of goals (depending on their result tonight) Chile are knocked out. The ball is in Switzerlands court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I don't blame the Swiss for using a style that works for them and gets them into most tournaments, but they are insanely boring to watch. I was very happy to see Chile win today. Switzerland are far from the only dull team around but I will still be glad to see the back of them as quickly as possible. The less success teams like Switzerland have, the less we will see of such dour football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

RichTea wrote: »
    http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/21/swiss-rolled-by-red-hot-chile/

I can't help but look forward to Roja v Roja - Chile v Spain. I have a lot of respect for Ottmar Hitzfeld and his team but I think that both Chile and Spain will now progress. That is unless Honduras are able to keep the score down well enough against Spain. Chile might find themselves caught out in the end on goal difference. Their two wins have only been 1-0s and with Spain left to play them there is a distinct possibility that they will end up with a smaller goal difference than the Swiss, should Hitzfeld's lads beat Honduras.

Wouldnt know what will happen tonight.

Korea kept Brazil fairly quite and done a good job.

Plenty of the bigger countries have struggled so far.

Spain are most likely in for another two banks of four defensive approach.

If they score then the floodgates could open - but if not we could have a similar game to the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Trying to get players sent off?

Would you rather watch paint dry?

Advertisement