Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The French/Irish Handball situation

• 21-06-2010 2:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or dose this whole ordeal get more & more cringe worthy as the world cup goes along?

And no matter who is playing George Hamilton always seems to sneak in a unfunny sly comment about France some point during a game. The more & more he comments on them the more I want France to do well. Bill's pretty bad at it as well.

I'd love to see France actually win the thing just to annoy the people who want them to fail. Well it looks obvious thats not going to happen now but I'll be routing for them in there next match.

People seem think it was the whole French team that helped handle the ball into the net. It was one man who dosen't even start for them.

Where just the sorest bunch of losers of all time. Grow up.

I know I'm not alone in feeling this way right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I reckon Robbie Keane would have done exactly the same thing as Henry.

I reckon Paul McShane has a hell of a lot to answer for.

Despite all that, I look forward to going back on the beer when France are eliminated. And Italy too. But thats just for Schillachi all those years ago.

And England... obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Groan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

They're only having a bit of fun. Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

OP, you know what's even more annoying?

People posting threads on things that have already been discussed to the death several days ago :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

joe123 wrote: »
    They're only having a bit of fun. Lighten up.

Well they could go bowling or something if they wanted fun. Why do they have to be small minded & petty to have fun?

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    OP, you know what's even more annoying?

People posting threads on things that have already been discussed to the death several days ago :mad:

Really? I don't find that annoying at all. Maybe it's just you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No, it's not cringe worthy.

These ****ers robbed us of a fair chance to get into the world cup, it should always be brought up that they are cheating *****.

I can't believe you'd actually want France to win?! WTF?! Are you Irish?

I am loving how **** they are playing and all the trouble going on with the team, get them out asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

FACHT: We can't control what Thierry Henry done or does with his hands in a football match.

FACHT: We can, however prepare, Paul McShane to deal with balls that come into the box.

FACHT: He should never let that ball bounce in his own six yard box.

FACHT: BLAME PAUL McSHANE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Osu wrote: »
    FACHT: We can't control what Thierry Henry done or does with his hands in a football match.

FACHT: We can, however prepare, Paul McShane to deal with balls that come into the box.

FACHT: He should never let that ball bounce in his own six yard box.

FACHT: BLAME PAUL McSHANE

its FHACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Its been 8 months, get over it!

• Advertisement

Holsten wrote: »
    No, it's not cringe worthy.

These ****ers robbed us of a fair chance to get into the world cup, it should always be brought up that they are cheating *****.

I am loving how **** they are playing and all the trouble going on with the team, get them out asap!

Once again a person not seeing the whole picture.

It was one man who handled the ball not the whole nation of France.

Maybe he should have got some stick about it when it happened but why do people have to go on & about.

I just don't think people know what there talking about half the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im over it to be honest, but I dont get why they didnt put assistant ref's behind the goal for WC like in the Europa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jazzy wrote: »

its FHACT

For being so small minded on the interwebz you have won my "patented derp of the day award" for trying to correct a spelling that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm growing more annoyed at those whingeing about the fact it is getting mentioned.

It was always going to be referenced and I regarded the RTE thing as a bit of fun. I do think the tabloids are stupid by making it into an anti-French thing. I don't agree with that, but I've no problem with the incident itself being spoken about. It would be daft and ridiculous not to talk about it as even other nations have been talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Blaming Paul McShane is far worse imo.

If we are going to blame Paul McShane we should blame Duffer for missing a 1v1 in normal time which would have seen us go 2-0 up and easily through.

We could blame Sean St Ledger for giving a needless free kick away.

We could blame Hugo Lloris for his excellent performances which kept our shots at bay.

We could blame Kevin Kilbane and Alberto Gilardino for having not qualified automatically.

OR

We could blame the man who broke the rules and provided an illegal goal which put us out.

All this anti-French stuff is a bit of craic, and I think its obvious as to why. The stuff coming out of John Delany's mouth was the only cringey part imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RELAX was all bit of fun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Paul Mc Shane ftw!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads seriously, are your lives that uneventful that you're still moaning about this sh1te?

Are you still angry that the Titanic sank?

I for one still can't get over Geri leaving The Spice Girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Not at home so I dont get to hear the commentary but it is a bit ridiculous to still be going on about it.

Robbie Keane would be a national hero if he done it and got away with it.

As the old cliche always goes - "that's football" - and that's all it is...forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Sure the English showing clips of 66 every 2 mins is just them having a laugh but its still annoying.

Its just sad that people really hate France for it when any striker in the World would do it. Messi he will do it and not have a doubt about. Just get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Strikes me generally as being a bit of fun - if the nation can't get behind a team to support they may as well get behind one not to support, which at least is a common aim and provides a bit of the World Cup fervour that's lacking if your country doesn't qualify.

I doubt the majority of people are malicious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Can someone repost that photoshop with the date opf the event and "never forgiven" or something on it? It was class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

I'm sick of listening to this crap, the amount of eejits joining facebook groups about this and the embarrassing actions of the FAI have really annoyed me.

Begging for a replay, begging to be let in as #33. Absolutely ridiculous.

How many times did Robbie handle the ball in the same match ? How many Irish players fell over like a Portuguese prima donna for a free or penalty over the course of the campaign ?

Fact, if Robbie Keane had done the same thing as Henry we wouldn't have batted an eyelid about going to the World Cup. Sure most people would 'feel bad' but theres no chance in hell we'd have had a replay.

The FAI and all these fans whining about this have made Ireland a laughing stock among soccer fans worldwide.

And as for who to blame for us not getting to the world cup, that 'blame' if you want to call it blame rests squarely at the feet of the players. They had so many chances and didn't take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I'm loving watching the French fall to pieces. Even the French people don't want them to do well after what happenend in Paris. Will be beautiful if the cheat does'nt get one more minute on the pitch in this World Cup.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mister men wrote: »
    I'm loving watching the French fall to pieces. Even the French people don't want them to do well after what happenend in Paris. Will be beautiful if the cheat does'nt get one minute on the pitch in this World Cup.:D

Sorry to bring you down off your cloud but he's already had 19 times that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest I have come to terms with us going out 8 months ago because of the hand ball. Why because I know if the situation was reversed we would have jumped at the opportunity.

What galls me is the attitude of the French players now that they have made it to the World Cup, the pinnacle tournament for professional football players. They have no heart and they appear to have no willingness to play as a team. They appear to be there to ensure they can make more obscene amounts of money on sponsorship. I know if an Irish team was there they would at least play with heart no matter what skills deficits they have.

My wife is French and was disgusted by the events last year and then the pathetic way that France are playing and behaving, she couldn't believe Anelkas outburst and my in-laws in France are not following the World Cup at all.

Its seems a waste of a place at the premier tournament for a team who obvious don't give a damn for anything other that their own individual desires and who have forgotten the whole spirit of the World Cup. Then again they are probably in tune with FIFA's core beliefs not. Fare Paid ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I passed three billboards with Anelka's sneering mug holding up a hamburger this morning. I don't suppose the fast food outlet is best pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I passed three billboards with Anelka's sneering mug holding up a hamburger this morning. I don't suppose the fast food outlet is best pleased.

Its the Curse of the Pringles!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Holsten wrote: »
    Are you Irish?

Cos you sound more like an American in post 9/11 with that kind of question.

So not everyone gets up on their high horse of morality and wants to hate the French? It doesn't make you less Irish. Cop on.

FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

135237728.jpg

The real enemy. He's at the World Cup too, must keep an eye out for him.

Edit: Its a crime that the other guy in this pic isnt taking part :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

135237728.jpg

Edit: Its a crime that the other guy in this pic isnt taking part :(

Hes injured :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Osu wrote: »
    For being so small minded on the interwebz you have won my "patented derp of the day award" for trying to correct a spelling that doesn't exist.

only I may give out those prestigious awards! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A friend of mine (totally anti-France) was praising Fabiano when he scored for Brazil last night.

It hit his arm twice before going in. Ah the hypocrisy sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

tdv123 wrote: »
    Is it just me or dose this whole ordeal get more & more cringe worthy as the world cup goes along?

And no matter who is playing George Hamilton always seems to sneak in a unfunny sly comment about France some point during a game. The more & more he comments on them the more I want France to do well. Bill's pretty bad at it as well.

I'd love to see France actually win the thing just to annoy the people who want them to fail. Well it looks obvious thats not going to happen now but I'll be routing for them in there next match.

People seem think it was the whole French team that helped handle the ball into the net. It was one man who dosen't even start for them.

Where just the sorest bunch of losers of all time. Grow up.

I know I'm not alone in feeling this way right?

I see your point but to be fair I think most people see it as a bit of craic, cheering against France gives us someone to cheer for (like Mexico)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

Never mind the delicious feelings of righteous indignation that we can comfort ourselves with, the image of Didi Hamann with the sombrero on is hilarious. With that same serious expression but striving towards levity at the same time. Funny stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I thought the sombreros were because of a desire to support Mexico because of our shared history and how they fought for independence from the United States, finally succeeding and becoming New Mexico.
    It's like we share a common struggle, thats why Im cheering them on anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Its just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Paleface wrote: »
    Its just a bit of fun.

That's fine except you will have those muppets who take things too seriously. The last thing I want is some tosser confronting my wife who is French about this or my new born son in years to come who is half French.

A lot of ordinary decent French people were ashamed by the handball and they are now frustrated at the lack of respect their so called superstars have for the country that they are representing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Did we get robber, yes we did, also i want to say im well over it.

Both what did we get robbed of?? If peopel remember we scored in normal time and beat the French in Paris to force extar time and we were heading to penalties until Henry stepped up and used his hand.

Forgive me for being negative but how can we say that had he not done this we would have got through, can anyone say honestly we were going to beat them on Peno's?? lloris played a stormer, between him and Evra and Anelka, they were the only french players that played well in Paris.

I blame a lot of things for the goal mainly 3 players,

Given for having glue on his boots and sticking to his line, where most keepers would have came and punched,especially seeing where the ball dropped.

McShane mainly for living but secondly for allowing the ball to bounce in your box and not deal with.

Henry who used his hand and played it across for Gallas to score.

Maybe im being harsh on the 3 Irish players but between them I expected them to defend any set play much better then that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Duff still should have scored that chance. We would have been through if he scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Rightly or wrongly we'll be hearing about this for years to come I think......

Advertisement