Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What non-LGBT characters in fiction do you relate to?

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this thread, and I was going to have a bit of a moan about how awful transgender people are represented in movies and tv, the way that trans characters usually fall into one of two categories; the big "I got a suprise!" joke, or that they're some mentally unstable, split personality serial killer. But I was thinking about something else. While there's never been a fictional trans character I identified with, there's often been plenty of characters who weren't trans but I really related to and identified with because they spoke to me on a similar level. And it's kinda strange, but it's mostly been male characters I identified with.

I've always been a fan of science fiction and fantasy, I love that escape it offers. Growing up, I loved Star Trek The Next Generation. Data was my favourite character. He was someone who was always trying to understand humanity but often just not 'getting' things no matter how hard he tried. I guess that's something I really connected to, because growing up I never really could put a finger on why I was different, and why I couldn't relate to all the boys I attended school with, even though I tried.

More recently, it's been Dexter I've identified with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_%28TV_series%29
    Yeah, I know I just said I identify with a serial killer after what I said about transgenders being stereotyped as serial killers in movies, but it's true, I really relate to the character of Dexter in more than one way. If you've not watched the show, his adoptive father is a cop and sees signs that the young Dexter is dangerous and grooms him to control his urges, to only kill people who deserve it, but also he grooms him to fit in, to put up a public persona and try to appear to everyone as normal. That's part of the reason I relate to him, because that's what I did for so long, tried to appear normal and wore a mask every day, just hide who I was from everyone.
    Also, in the first series, there's an episode where he talks to a shrink (that he's planning to kill) about how he's got a fear of sexual intimacy, which I also really relate to.

I also saw a film that I was probably too young for at the time called The Fly, but it really made an impact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_%281986_film%29
    It really made me vomit. For someone like me puberty is absolutely horrific, and even though I didn't really think of myself as female at the time, I just did not expect the things like getting facial hair and body hair at all. So The Fly was like my personal horror put onscreen and magnified.gl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Jim Profit was my role model for me back in my teens. But that was long before I even consider myself to be gay. But I can safely say he helped shape the man I am today. >;]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The first character that came to mind was David from Six Feet Under. But then I realised he's gay :/

Off the top of my head, there's not really anybody else.

EDIT: I now realise that he's the same actor as the guy in Dexter. I wonder if there's a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pretty much anything with strong women - I thought Michelle Yeoh's character in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was awesome when I was younger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sabrina in 'Charlie's Angels' - she was always the smart one who worked things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Dexter - In terms of the way my mind works... Very exact in my ways, and I'm a bit of an emotional cripple. I can recognise anger, fear, happiness, etc but to say I 'feel' any of them is a bit of a stretch. Kind of like Sherlock Holmes in the movie or books, but online forums are my cocaine, if that makes sense.

River Tam (Firefly/Serenity) - Yet again, thought processes. I'd also say I have a similar 'awareness' to hers. I may not be psychic but I have this weird assuredness of movement. River (Summer Glau) gets it from ballet... No idea where I get it from.
    Also she's pretty much the pedestal of quirky geeky femininity I aspire to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Holden Caulfield. We are identical

God I sound like an angsty teen. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Adrian Mole, a friend even said I reminded her of him!:rolleyes:

Advertisement