Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Island fire,Cork Harbour.

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hey did anyone see the fire on SPike island today?

I was in downtown cobh watching it,Seeing the Firebrigade adn such get ready.

There seemed to have been two fires,amd weirdly allot of people were on about how they saw a jetski/speedboat going away from there over to whitepoint in Cobh.

The smoke litrally coverd the one side of the island at its peak!,and apon clearing it left a scorced landscape.

Anyone know what was up?

What I find ridiculouse about the whole thing is every guard in cobh except one went over there..leaving a bunch of scumbags who came down from the city drunk to start numerouse fights...I saw an old fella get throttled and guy I know who's 17 get a bloody nose.As well as this apparently there were gang fights going on,with gangs coming down from the northside to start some ****.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MikeBard

Small article here

http://cobhedition.com/?p=4441

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Seloth wrote: »
    What I find ridiculouse about the whole thing is every guard in cobh except one went over there..leaving a bunch of scumbags who came down from the city drunk to start numerouse fights...

Yea people came from the city to start fights in Cobh, wouldnt be at all like the natives to be causing trouble around there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Yea people came from the city to start fights in Cobh, wouldnt be at all like the natives to be causing trouble around there...

Well seeing as 90% of reports,arrests and court cases as of assaults and such are caused by off islanders,In general coming from Passagewest,Carrigaline and Cork city I'm not too suprised no.

With the headin in the echo not long ago,if you read the article it involved two mayfield me assaulting a cobh man.

As well as this any of the incidents that happened down town yesterday involved drunken fellas from the city,who were throwing bottles and rocks at people that passed by.

So yes it wasnt the "Natives"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Seloth wrote: »

As well as this any of the incidents that happened down town yesterday involved drunken fellas from the city,who were throwing bottles and rocks at people that passed by.

So yes it wasnt the "Natives"

Come on, there never near as much trouble in Passage/Carrigaline on an average Saturday night then there is in Cobh. Are you honestly saying that none of the locals were causing trouble? Im not saying it was purely the locals, but there obviously was a number involved

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Come on, there never near as much trouble in Passage/Carrigaline on an average Saturday night then there is in Cobh. Are you honestly saying that none of the locals were causing trouble? Im not saying it was purely the locals, but there obviously was a number involved

Thats because most of the time people knw they cant get away with much if they do it in their town,so many come over.I'm not trying to say bad things about the place but when ever I've seen fights adn such on nights out they've been 90% of the time from one of those three places.

Also If gang fights are true or not then obviously cobh people would have been involved.But all the trouble we know that has happened came from these cork fellas,where the only thing locals did was either the finger or confront theguy for throwing a bottle at him etc.

Now c'mon this conversation has gone off point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 halosecurity.ie

Hi Seloth,

Just to clear this up so things don't get out of hand... I was visiting Spike Island on Sunday with my girlfriend and cousin using a SeaDoo Personal Water Craft which some may describe as a large jetski.

We are undoubtedly the craft being referred to in the reports you've read or heard but were in no way connected with the setting of fires.

After a stroll around and a picnic I left the other two as I wanted to head out to Roches Point. As I approached my craft, which was moored just off the jetty, I came across a large gathering of teenagers. They were ranging in ages from about 16 -18 (max), male and female. The lads were on the Dutch Gold while the girls were having Bulmer's Berry but seemed to be well behaved by and large (except for some totally unacceptable littering with empty cans).

They had 3 -4 boats between them. A RIB, a Ski/ Wake boat and two other basic boats and I formed the opinion that they were fairly well heeled...

I went out and was back within 25 mins by which time the fire was underway. The teens were legging it accross the jetty and the boats were gradually departing like rats from a sinking ship...

We tried reporting it to Cork Harbour Radio by VHF but they were too ignorant to respond (presumably because I currently don't have a callsign but I was reporting a FIRE!!!!) After persisting, however, they eventually answered stating that the matter was in hand.

I suspect that one of the teen's party caused it and they all took off rather than face the music.

I have made my contact details available to investigating Gardai at Cobh and will pass on all the information I have. I only regret not taking a photo of the boats...

Anyway, jetskis & PWCs get a lot of bad press and I just want to set the record straight that we're not all bad!

Cheers,

Halo Security...

Hey thanks for the post and that really clears up what happened to us of the general public :D.

You werent the person who was stopped by whitepoint were you?

I'm really suprised they went out there drinkingI thought there was still one or two security guars there.Feckin idiots like..

I wonder if they were started delibratly because of the multiple points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 halosecurity.ie

Hi Seloth,

Certainly no sign of Security (save for yours truly ;)!!!

I'm giving benefit of doubt when I say it could have been a BBQ gone wrong although the multiple locations strain that idea.

I was watching for some time just North of the island off the jetty before collecting my passengers and heading for Monkstown. I passed Whitpoint on the way though -though quite a bit faster than stopped! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I was up by fort camden when I saw the smoke gathering size, so I made a call to 112 and told the fire services there was a fire going on the island. The girl who took the call gave me a sort of "on spike island? wtf can we do about that?" sort of tone of voice, and told me she'd get someone to look in to it

Advertisement