Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Needed.

• 21-06-2010 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY NEXT BIKE!

I'm just about to switch up from a 125 to something larger. My main/immediate reason is to be able to get some practice on my bike for the full A test and then keep it for at least a couple of years afterwards without getting bored. My style preference is for either a naked street or sports bike (i.e. probably not custom or dual purpose). My budget - including the likely trade-in on my current bike - is between 4,500-5,000 (I certainly won't complain if something cheaper but good presents itself). Because I'm not mechanically handy myself, I'm inclined to go for either a dealer or someone who will offer a warranty of at least three months.

My current thoughts are between (a) a new Kawasaki Ninja 250r, (b) a new Hyosung GT250R - these come at the same price as the Ninja but with a 400-something euro credit note, (c) a second-hand Honda CBF 250 (d) a second-hand (but very recent), factory-restricted Yamaha MT-03, and (e) a new, factory-restricted GSX-650. I'm open to suggestions though.

The 650s are more expensive but I wonder if they might be the right choice longer-term. The insurance for them (as long as they're factory-restricted) seems to be about the same as the 250s I mentioned.

I'd love a few suggestions regarding choices here (and any links, if you find them). I'm divided between faired and naked but that isn't even the main thing. I just want something solid, reliable, but with a bit of style and whoomph as well.

Give us a hand, lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Would you consider a Er-6n? There are a few factory restricted bikes up on donedeal in your price range, insurance is dirt cheap on any factory restricted bike(and the restricted is easy to take off, thirty seconds at most). They have a great torque curve, with the restrictor on or off I find it difficult to tell the difference in speed up to about 130kph.

Only two problems with the model I'm aware of, the coils need to be replaced after about three years and if the exhaust starts making a chirping noise a weld is about to go.

The ninja 250r is a lovely bike as well, its a great learning machine as its the perfect size and power to get used to throwing the bike around corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Don't get fixated on factory restricted bikes if it's only a matter of paying extra on insurance. I know they may decide not to give it to you on some bikes. I was 26 on a provisional, on my first insurance and was shocked they quoted me on GSX1400 with an aftermarket restrictor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Well, even with the factory restriction, Quinn is quoting me over 1,200 euro (TPFT). I think I'll end up going for either something made below the 33bhp or brought there at the factory. I also reckon it's time to do an assessment to bring the quote down further.

I've just been looking at a few GSFs and GSXs on Donedeal. The ER6s are nice too. I'm trying to keep above 2005 and below 10/12K km. There are some good deals out there. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    ...Well, even with the factory restriction, Quinn is quoting me over 1,200 euro...

My point is that if it goes from €1200 to €1500, you shouldn't necessarily rule it out if it means getting the bike of your dreams PLUS it means that you could easily keep it until your restriction is gone and pop the kit out without serious surgery.

Good point, but for some models the savings on the Factory restricted bikes is quite high. They can go from group 11 to group 5.

@op, the insurance assessment I did with David Lyons has saved me about 600 euros since last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Good point, but for some models the savings on the Factory restricted bikes is quite high. They can go from group 11 to group 5.

@op, the insurance assessment I did with David Lyons has saved me about 600 euros since last year.
    That sounds great. What level did you qualify for? Was it difficult, how long did it go on, what were you expected to do, etc? Sounds well worth it.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    That sounds great. What level did you qualify for? Was it difficult, how long did it go on, what were you expected to do, etc? Sounds well worth it.

Was a long time ago, but it was six hours in total(across the Dublin mountains) and I got a grade two Aon assessment(which Quinn accept). I could go back and get a grade one but the benefit this time doesn't match the cost.

Advertisement