Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Man on the loose in Melbourne CBD!

Options
  • 21-06-2010 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

:eek:

What the fup? I didnt notice anything on my usual commute across the city this morning...anyone see anything?

Police hunt fleeing gunman in Melbourne

PARTS of central Melbourne, including the MCG and Melbourne Park, remain in lockdown as heavily armed police wearing bullet proof vests pursue a gunman.

Witnesses last saw the man carrying a shotgun on the Rod Laver Bridge at 10.15am.

City workers have been told to stay inside their offices, and up to 100 construction workers have been ordered indoors.
    The lockdown follows a high speed car chase this morning along the Monash Freeway involving both unmarked and marked police cars.
    Police have found the vehicle allegedly used by the gunman, dumped outside Hisense Arena.

Superintendent Rod Wilson, who is leading the manhunt, told 3AW that gunshots had been fired earlier today. However, he could not confirm whether shots were fired at police.

Police believe the man is aged in his mid 20s, believed to be of Spanish appearance, with straight dark hair. He is wearing a dark jacket, with possibly a red or orange t-shirt, and silver coloured tracksuit pants.

Police have told members of the public to stay inside and urged them to call 000 if they see the man. Public transport has been halted in the Richmond area and surrounding precincts.

Players from the Melbourne Football Club have been forced indoors, while it is reported that the Melbourne Victory and Collingwood Football Club are continuing normal activities under police watch.

The drama began around 3am when the man allegedly committed an armed robbery and stole several vehicles in the North Balwyn area.

Police then pursued the man who was driving a dark blue VZ SS Holden Commodore city bound along the Monash Freeway. The man collided with an unmarked police station-wagon and a Mitsubishi outlander 4WD. A policewoman was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The chase continued until the West Gate Bridge where police are believed to have lost sight of the vehicle.
    "The man is believed to be armed. He is on foot now, so he obviously ditched the car,'' a police spokeswoman said.
    She warned people to avoid the area around the MCG and Olympic Park.
    Armed police wearing bullet proof vests are scouring the precinct and roads have been blocked off east bound on Olympic Boulevard, Batman Avenue, Punt Road and Brunton Avenue.

The Rod Laver Bridge has also been closed to pedestrian traffic, while the MCG and the Rod Laver Arena have been closed.
    Members of the public are urged not to approach the man.

source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/gunman-on-the-loose-in-melbourne/story-e6frg6nf-1225882231495

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Doop wrote: »
    :eek:

What the fup? I didnt notice anything on my usual commute across the city this morning...anyone see anything?

Nah, nothing.
    Cept some guy with a gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Police then pursued the man who was driving a dark blue VZ SS Holden Commodore
    The crim's best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

My flatmate said he was driving up past Richmond station today at about 9.45 and a cop car came screeching down the wrong side of the road and a female officer got out took out her gun from the holster and ran off. When he got home he checked the news to find out what was going on. He said he’s never seen a cop with their gun out of the holster before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Doc wrote: »
    My flatmate said he was driving up past Richmond station today at about 9.45 and a cop car came screeching down the wrong side of the road and a female officer got out took out her gun from the holster and ran off. When he got home he checked the news to find out what was going on. He said he’s never seen a cop with their gun out of the holster before.

Jesus!! They have got American cops involved???!!!!?!! That was quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

huh ?

Appers they didnt catch him yet... doubt it'll be long tho, his pic was splashed alll over the news.

Fair few mates who work in the city, were told not to leave their buildings yesterday (any excuse to keep em at their desks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Originally Posted by brendansmith View Post
    Doop wrote: »
    huh ?

Yea huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Opposite side of the road driving, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I dunno, its pretty common to beat a line of traffic, even in Ireland.

so, huh?

Advertisement