Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Level 5 - What is required to get a distinction?

• 21-06-2010 6:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking at doing a fetac level 5 in horticulture and was just wondering how hard is it to get a distinction? How does it work, do you have to get a specific "grade" in exams or is it also based on year-long work/attendance etc?

Would the fetac grades be like the difference between Higher level in leaving cert compared to ordinary or foundation level? Are many distinctions usually awarded in a fetac level 5 class (like 1 in 10 applicants or more?)?

Sorry for all the questions, it can be hard to find info sometimes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Distinctions are awarded on merit, rather than a fixed number. It depends on your course how marking is done, but yes, you would expect to be getting 80% throughout the year or in exams.

It's hard to give an idea of how much work is involved. If you have a lot of assessments throughout the year you can get an idea of how you are doing. However in a very general sense, if you do all the work required of you, to an adequate standard, and have a reasonable grasp of the material, you should pass, if you make that bit more effort and turn in well considered assignments and know the material at exam time, you are in a merit situation. A distinction is quite possible, but you have to know the material thoroughly and go that extra mile, researching, planning and presenting your work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

looksee wrote: »
    Distinctions are awarded on merit, rather than a fixed number. It depends on your course how marking is done, but yes, you would expect to be getting 80% throughout the year or in exams.

It's hard to give an idea of how much work is involved. If you have a lot of assessments throughout the year you can get an idea of how you are doing. However in a very general sense, if you do all the work required of you, to an adequate standard, and have a reasonable grasp of the material, you should pass, if you make that bit more effort and turn in well considered assignments and know the material at exam time, you are in a merit situation. A distinction is quite possible, but you have to know the material thoroughly and go that extra mile, researching, planning and presenting your work.

Thanks, that makes more sense. So basically understanding the material inside out and being able to show that through the year?

Do they also count attendance % in your mark and does the work experience count toward the mark?(like doing a great job in the work experience)

Work experience counts as it is a module same as the others. However the written work associated with the WE is the important part. It is important to get a good report from your employer, but it's not a very level playing field in terms of jobs and how they work out.

Attendance is not necessarily counted in but I cannot speak for all FEs, in the one I am familiar with, good attendance is needed to stay on the course, but it is not taken into account in the marking.

thanks for the info ;)
    looksee wrote: »
    It is important to get a good report from your employer, but it's not a very level playing field in terms of jobs and how they work out.
    what do you mean by this?

I meant that you have not much control over what kind of work experience you get, some people end up pushed to one side doing very little, or photocopying all day - if you do find yourself in this position, do your best cheerfully, if its what you are asked to do, do it. (Though on an hort. course you are more likely to be sweeping up or washing plantpots than photocopying :D). Someone else could get a place where they really have chance to shine. You could have a supervisor that gives a minimal report, someone else could get someone who gives a glowing and enthusiastic one. Thats why its not a level playing field, and why your reports etc are the important part of it.

• Advertisement

cool thanks, makes sense ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Re ..The work experience module . You will be given a sheet to be marked by your employer. this he or she will mark, Ticking boxes of your performance,,Good, Very Good, Excellent etc.
    if you get excellent in all then it 30% of your marks straightaway. Depends on your employer really .

cool, so I just need to keep the employer happy to get that 30%

I got the course aswell, so i start in sept :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Ell69 wrote: »
    Re ..The work experience module . You will be given a sheet to be marked by your employer. this he or she will mark, Ticking boxes of your performance,,Good, Very Good, Excellent etc.
    if you get excellent in all then it 30% of your marks straightaway. Depends on your employer really .

Do you have to find your own work experience or will the college designate you a placement? also Can you move around in your work experience? the reason I ask is because I've applied for Construction technology and would like to get experience in more than 1 sector of the construction industry

I cannot say for certain that it is exactly the same everywhere and in all sectors, but my experience is that you find your own work experience and do not normally move around. The way Work Experience is structured it would not be advantageous to try to move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Would you also have to write a diary or some work experience report for college?

Yes, absolutely, its the area where you get most marks. And you need to be able to find interesting ways of saying, 'photocopied 50 document sets' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 007Ais

How do you pass the horitculture course?
    I cant seem to get a straight answer.

For example you have to achieve 45 credits to pass. What are they?

Also what is the pass rate for an exam?
    If 1 module consists of 5 exams & class attendance and you pass youl get 2 credits.

But is 50% the exam pass mark in order to achieve the 2 credits or is the % higher to pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

It sounds like you are on a Teagasc course and they may be using the new FETAC system. All Teagasc courses are changing along with the FAS FETAC courses and FETAC courses in VECs and FE colleges to become one standarised course, as they all did it in different ways prior to this. In the past there were maybe 3 or 4 different Horticulture courses all certified by FETAC. This arose because the different providers - VEC/NCVA, FAS, Teagasc all came under the wing of FETAC and now FETAC are working to standarise courses.

As a learner you are entitled to clear information and under the agreement with FETAC the provider must give it to you. If so ask your Tutor for a clear answer. Get it in writing.

FETAC are in the course of changing all awards over to a common structure and some providers are offering the new structure and others are not. But try this link if you know which system you are on and that might answer your questions. If nothing else it will give you access to the syallbus for each module. http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/awardsDirectory.do?method=getCompoundAwardsByLevel&domainId=143

In terms of a pass mark under the new FETAC system you will have to pass all assessments whether they are exams or assignments or porject work. This is a change from the previous systems. Some modules are made up of a combination of all, so you have to pass all in order to pass the module. A pass is generally 50% under the new system. But don't get to caught up with what you need to pass at this stage, just do the work and enjoy the course. Your tutor is required to give you feedback on a regular basis and ask the questions about your progress then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 007Ais

Thanks Further Ed.

That explains some things.
    However I wish you were on the course to see how difficult it is.
    I'm not a moaner but these are the facts.
    No feedback from tuitors - just a pass or repeat awarded for exams.
    And a pass rate of 80%.
    People dropping out too.
    It's just too difficult to pass right now. Otherwise the course is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

What type of centre are you doing the course in ? Contact the Centre Director and point out the requirements of the FETAC - see the following page - http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/learners/learners.htm and also see
    http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/documents/Info_for_Learners_Guidelines_for_Providers.pdf

If all else fails contact FETAC.

Email me if you want.

Advertisement