Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eat in or take out charge.

Options
  • 21-06-2010 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

OK, am i being a bit of a scrooge here or is this the norm?

over the weekend went to a well known cafe in Galway and ordered a sambo for take-out. I was charged €4.50.
    Waiting for my lunch i checked the eat-in price for same sambo was €4.50.
    I mentioned to the cashier that I have been over-charged the order is for take-out.
    She said there is no difference in price. we charge the same for eat-in as for take-out. (like it or lump it)

I thought take-out should be cheaper, I had no intention of eating-in as it was a beautiful day out. however they have see the last of my euros in there!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

fiction wrote: »

over the weekend went to a well known cafe in Galway and ordered a sambo for take-out. I was charged €4.50.
    I mentioned to the cashier that I have been over-charged the order is for take-out.
    She said there is no difference in price. we charge the same for eat-in as for take-out. (like it or lump it)

I thought take-out should be cheaper, I had no intention of eating-in as it was a beautiful day out. however they have see the last of my euros in there!:mad:

Had you thought that the cafe maybe had lowered the price for eating the sandwich inside rather than the other way around. All depends on how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

fiction wrote: »
    I mentioned to the cashier that I have been over-charged the order is for take-out. She said there is no difference in price. we charge the same for eat-in as for take-out. (like it or lump it).

What???

Seriously, what???

Is there still not the same amount of bread, butter, filling etc in the sandwich regardless of where you eat it? They don't make it lighter or anything for you to carry outside? Why should there be any difference in price? You decided to eat it outside not them. They still have to provide an establishment with chairs, tables, lights etc. Its just nuts to think you should pay less because you left the premises.

Never heard of anything like this before. Bet there is some poor cashier over on the "Cries of retail" thread in Ranting and Raving giving out about some header who wanted a cheaper sandwich just because they were dining out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Why should there be any difference in price?

I wouldn't say it's standard practice for cafés but some do charge a lower price for take out, and will ask: "for here, or take away?". The café owners might think the price difference is worth it for keeping the table free for people who will only spend if they can sit down or for keeping the staff behind the counter rather than cleaning tables.

It complicates things, though and then you can have the problem of people paying for take out and sitting down anyway. I'd be annoyed if a restaurant's take out prices were the same as dine-in but for a café I'd just see it as one of two reasonable options.

P.S. I hope it was a damn nice sandwich for 4.50, wherever you ate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never heard of anything like this before.
    I have seen it in many chippers, but in that case you will get a plate and cutlery sitting down. I expect in cafes it could be cheaper too as there is less cleanup and some might pay a premium for sitting down.

You can look at it both ways, a premium/discount for taking up/not taking up a seat and possibly needing clean up after you. The cafe has extra overheads for a sit down service, rental for more space alone.

They don't make it lighter or anything for you to carry outside?
    Sometimes its the opposite. In burdocks you can sit down in some of them, you get a plate and get usually get less food on the plate. In many chinese restaurants that also do takeaways the takeaway portion is a lot bigger and cheaper than the sit in one. Though the difference is probably more, i.e. you might not have a waitress serving your sandwich in a cafe, or cutlery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

A lot of places do have cheaper prices on their take out food. I am pretty sure in the UK there is a difference due to a difference in tax's if you eat in vs take out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know that some places charge more for eat in but I don't expect everywhere to do it.
    By that logic shoudn't Supermacs etc charge more for eat in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's a different VAT rate:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/food-and-drink.html

"All hot take-away food is liable at the reduced rate irrespective of the rate which would apply if it were supplied otherwise"

Advertisement