Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Whistler!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

All I'll say is: I'm so glad I'm not a moderator.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Topic is:

"Are you the cyclist who from now on i'm going to refer to as "the whistler" or possibly the "Bike Ref"...was driving to work this morning and stopped at red lights, cycle lane to the left which i was well clear of...

...So has anyone else encountered this guy..."

now stick to it!

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    All I'll say is: I'm so glad I'm not a moderator.

Indeed, you'd have to be a right nutter to volunteer for that job.

edit: sorry Beasty, you beat me to it. I claim our posts crossed in the post. Or something. I'll shut up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

No, would be the answer from me.........but I'll keep one of my excessively protruding, freakishly large, ears open for him.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

I have seen this guy loads booting around St. Stephen's Green, breaking red lights and tooting at pedestrians trying to cross the road.

I would call him an asshole personally. He's ultra-aggressive, I've seen him in a few shouting matches with other cyclists as well.
    If he's a courier, it would explain a lot.
    Would it? Why so? This guy makes couriers look like saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If he's a courier, it would explain a lot.

whatever about calling him a nutjob. But its just not right to call him a courier. Thats just insulting ;)

BTW, no, I have never come across him. Does he wear lycra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

If I ever see him I'm going to tell him about this thread. I'd love to hear what he has to say for himself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

happytramp wrote: »
    If I ever see him I'm going to tell him about this thread. I'd love to hear what he has to say for himself :D

Does anyone speak Ref?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm not sure that 'nutjob' adds much to the richness of the English language. Having said that, I'm not proposing stripping or sanitising any language.

I have since seen this guy, cycling along Thomas Street. I stand by my original comments. I have no idea whether this guy is afflicted by a mental (or any other) illness. To be frank, it is none of my business, and I couldnt care less.

In my opinion this guy has serious anti social issues, and in all probability a massive chip on his shoulder. I am surprised that you found a comment on the internet so offensive, but didnt (1) reprt the post as such or (2) maybe contact me to ask me 'who the hell I though I was.'

It was a comment that I made without much thought to be fair. However in my book he is a nutjob. If you are offended by that, then ah well. Not much I am going to do on that count. Maybe you shouldnt take things on the internet so seriously, however maybe you have every reason to. Who knows.

I would like to say that anyone with the behaviour that I saw, hurtling down Thomas St blowing people out of it, has such a problem with other road users and peds, that maybe he should not be on a bike. I am entitled to my opinion on this guys behaviour regardless of whther or not my choice of language is unsavoury in some peoples eyes.

Regarding mental illness in general, I have grown up surrounded by a particular illness. I would not allow that to colour my choice of language when describing general craziness/anti-social behaviour that one may encounter from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I know him. He's in the Vets. He is VERY hard of hearing, practically deaf. Speech is impaired also. I pass him twice a day going in opposite directions along the N11. We nod to each other. He's a very nice guy, don't slag him. Being seeing him for 15 odd years on this route. I've cycled along side him on Vets Tours and did alot of the Wicklow 200 2008 alongside him.
    Shaved head and John Lennon glasses. The whistle is only in the last year or so.
    Don't judge........etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Jawgap wrote: »
    Really?

Well, if you find it offensive, report it.
    Just checked the charter and the 'report post' button, and offensive posts aren't listed as reason to report. But regardless, I prefer to change attitudes by challenging, and getting people thinking about these issues.
    The English language loses everything if we confine ourselves to expressions or words that a few have deemed acceptable - where would that leave literature for example?
    For the 2nd time, this is not about banning or censoring words. It is all about context. And just for the record, it would be hard to think of this post as 'literature'.
    Changing words won't change attitudes and focussing on the vocabulary only serves to invite trivialisation of the problems faced by people suffering with personality or mental health problems.
    Strange that the professional experts who deal with mental health issues every day (like the folk behind the See Change campaign) seem to disagree with you.

For the record, I didn't focus on vocabulary. I focused on the threat to antagonise for fun somebody who is displaying very unusual behaviour.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK this is the cycling forum. It is not a place to discuss mental health issues. The thread has gone seriously off-topic, and I don't see what benefit there is in keeping it open

@SerialComplaint - the Cycling Forum Charter is not a Boards FAQ section. If you have a problem with a post, that is what the report post button is for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement