Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert age

• 21-06-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭ladylouise

is there something wrong with some one who had repeat at 21 years of age in acorrings with usually age of 18 or 19 years.life has been very though person ever since

note:
    the 21 yaer had mild leaning difficulty.while others had degrees done at that age

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

I don't think there's a problem with anyone repeating at any age because it just shows ambition and determination. Sure, the person may feel awkward amidst 17/18/19 year olds but if they're confident in themselves and want to repeat to further their education then I see no problem!?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I wouldn't judge anyone by what age they sit their leaving cert at.
    It's hard enough to do it because you have to once but if someone chose to go through it all again I would definitely admire that person. It must be one of the hardest things to do. I don't know if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

There is this 'vibe' (in my school anyway) that the younger you leave school, the better. And get that perfect job, man and the white picket fenced house by 26......Christ.

I did TY and by the time i was in 5th year i was the oldest pupil there. There were some people who came in straight from junior cert who said stuff like ''omg you're fair old''. Im only 19, but if there was a 21 year old in that school, i'd said they'd get slagged off.

There's people going back to sit the LC at all ages. Socially it might be a problem but sure if you're dedicated enough to go back at 21, you're hardly there for the social life...

whelpy wrote: »
    There is this 'vibe' (in my school anyway) that the younger you leave school, the better. And get that perfect job, man and the white picket fenced house by 26......Christ.

I did TY and by the time i was in 5th year i was the oldest pupil there. There were some people who came in straight from junior cert who said stuff like ''omg you're fair old''. Im only 19, but if there was a 21 year old in that school, i'd said they'd get slagged off.

Yeh I'm 19 doing the leaving.
    Was 5 going to school since may and did TY which is compulsory in my school anyway. We do have people older than me though. One guy is 20 or nearly 20 anyway. Personally I like being older, cars before other people and legal ID. If I was to repeat I wouldn't do it in my school though the current 5th years are an irritating bunch. I'd probably go to a school just for people repeating, I think there are a few in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 shive25

Well im 22 and repeating the leaving cert this year as an external student. I have a BA in History and Sociology & Politics but decided to go back and do the leaving cert again because I want to study veterinay in September.
    I decided to repeat as an external student because I just felt too old to go back into a school and wear uniform etc and could not afford to repeat in a grinds school. :)

shive25 wrote: »
    Well im 22 and repeating the leaving cert this year as an external student. I have a BA in History and Sociology & Politics but decided to go back and do the leaving cert again because I want to study veterinay in September.
    I decided to repeat as an external student because I just felt too old to go back into a school and wear uniform etc and could not afford to repeat in a grinds school. :)

Impressive :)
    Do you have to do the leaving again to do veterinary?
    I thought it was for undergrad only so you would be postgrad no?
    I'd love to do veterinary actually but I'm doing science omnibus next year.

ya I have to repeat because I don't have a science degree and there is only approx 5 places for people who don't have a science degree in veterinary. To get in to one of those 5 places I would be up against people with masters degrees and would also have to sit the GAMSAT exam (kind of like the hpat) which has sections on biology, chemistry and physics. One problem is that once you have a degree you have to pay fees to do another one. so if I get into veterinary it will cos me 10,000 a year for 5 years! Although i don't think the leaving cert has gone as well as I had hoped :mad: have chemistry tomorrow and Ag science thurs.

ya I have to repeat because I don't have a science degree and there is only approx 5 places for people who don't have a science degree in veterinary. To get in to one of those 5 places I would be up against people with masters degrees and would also have to sit the GAMSAT exam (kind of like the hpat) which has sections on biology, chemistry and physics. One problem is that once you have a degree you have to pay fees to do another one. so if I get into veterinary it will cost me 10,000 a year for 5 years! Although i don't think the leaving cert has gone as well as I had hoped :mad: have chemistry tomorrow and Ag science thurs.

Wow I can see why people go to Hungary now.
    Thanks for clearing that up though. Better start saving if I want to even attempt it after science.

Yeh I have chemistry tomorrow too. Veterinary was the reason I took it up in the first place actually.

Best of luck with chem tomorrow and ag science :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

There are people repeating in my school who are 25/26. They wear the uniform, and go to class just as any other students. As far as I know, they dont get any stick for being older either :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

My school is a grind school so most people there are repeats. Like, over half of the school. The average age is about 20, the oldest is about 35 and he gets literally no stick whatsoever, nobody notices.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

i think if you have the balls to repeat fair duce to you!
    espescially the older you are, must be diffficult to but tbh you are putting yourself further if you do :) props all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I had just turned 17 by two months when I did the leaving. It was far too young I think anyway,I reckon it is better to be a bit older when you sit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

ya I have to repeat because I don't have a science degree and there is only approx 5 places for people who don't have a science degree in veterinary. To get in to one of those 5 places I would be up against people with masters degrees and would also have to sit the GAMSAT exam (kind of like the hpat) which has sections on biology, chemistry and physics. One problem is that once you have a degree you have to pay fees to do another one. so if I get into veterinary it will cos me 10,000 a year for 5 years! Although i don't think the leaving cert has gone as well as I had hoped :mad: have chemistry tomorrow and Ag science thurs.

Is it not 20,000 a year for 4 years?
    I don't see anything wrong with repeating at whatever age, Id say fair play to them. I know someone who's 18 and doing his junior cert this year, if he goes on to do his LC he'l be 20. He dropped out for a while so that he could work, but work has dried up a bit so he's gone back to youthreach.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

i'm 23, repeating externally, will be repeating next year for medicine, just missed it this time.

don't go to school.
    have a degree and teaching experience

expect a lot more older repeaters in the next few years younguns'!

Its 20,000 a year for 4 years if you get on to the graduate programme as a science graduate. If you are applying for the undergrad like me then its 10,000 n still a 5 year course. :)

oh n thanx a mill, hope chemistry goes well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I repeated this year although I'm only 19 now. People shouldn't care what age you are, if they do they have problems.

Just batter them anyways if they give you a slagging. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Theres a 20 yr old-looking girl in with us, shes really nice and she always talks to people afterwards about how the exam went... were all in the same boat, age doesnt really matter when your trying to cram an entire book in 10 minutes xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I have heard stories of a 40 year old asian man doing the leaving cert... So...I think you're ok at 22 ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'll be doing at least one subject at Leaving next yr, 31 years after my original.
    I doubt I'll be the oldest candidate in our centre, yet alone the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

theres loads of 20, 21 year olds actually in my year (well there was, before I finished school forever, woohoo!!!!) who finished their leaving when I would have been in 3rd year, went on and did a PLC or worked or something and decided they were getting nowhere and came back and sure they're flying now!

A friend of mine was only 16 doing the LC and he was ridiculously immature, didnt study at all because he didnt see the value and he ended up repeating so en conclusion, no harm in a bitta age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

aine92 wrote: »
    A friend of mine was only 16 doing the LC and he was ridiculously immature, didnt study at all because he didnt see the value and he ended up repeating so en conclusion, no harm in a bitta age :D

I'm 17. Same happened me this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 smack my twitch up

I am only 16 and just did the leavin, i will give you my autograph if you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Theres a 25 year old in my school doing it.

And I'm seen a malasian man,who was about 30-40 ina school uniform :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I was 16 doing the Leaving, and I'm repeating now. Which is good, 16 was way too young for me.

A girl who was in the repeat class is 20, she got a wee bit of slagging but all in good fun. Nobody really seemed to pass any remarks. :)

I don't think there's any harm doing it young if you actually can, and if you're disciplined enough. I was 15 and there were a couple of people I knew who were 16 doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usually, to be enrolled in a second level school in Ireland you have to be 12 by (I think) the November of 1st year, so without TY, such people still be would be 16 at LC.
    It makes things awkward for many college activities as the person is often much younger than the rest of their group.

spurious wrote: »
    Usually, to be enrolled in a second level school in Ireland you have to be 12 by (I think) the November of 1st year, so without TY, such people still be would be 16 at LC.
    It makes things awkward for many college activities as the person is often much younger than the rest of their group.

No harm in disassociating first year from alcohol :D
    (yeah I know...)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

im 21 and doin the l.c for the first time..come from a bad enough area so dropped out at 17 to work.....hopefully gonna do teaching next year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its much better to do the LC at 21 than not do it at all. One of my friends will be nearly 20 doing the leaving, just because her birthday is at a funny time and she started late.

Advertisement