Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert age

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

how is 20 even old? its old to be doin lc but your the exact same person u were when ur 18. i was kicked out of my old shcool in december of 6th yr nd had to go back to 5th yr in other school. doin leavin dis yr nd will be 20 in end of summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

In our school a lot of us LC's are really young. I'm 17, I'll be 18 next January. One of the other girls on my year is 16 and won't be 17 untill next Novemeber! I think 16's too young to start university. OK, she's a very smart girl and she will easily get points between 550-600, but she's not street-wise if you know what I mean, she's innocent, immature and easily swayed. Personally I think 18/19 is the best age to go into uni. One of my cousins took a gap year before starting uni. He went into first year at 21, going 22, and he wasn't the oldest. So I wouldn't be worried. Age is nothing but a number!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Im 19 and last week was a diasaster.
    If i repeat, ill be 20 next may. Kinda concious that my friends will have moved on, finishing their first year of college, just like i should be.
    And my parents are very judgemental and wouldnt let me forget what age i am.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

My father did the leaving cert at 55 through the VEC. So no, you are never too old to do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Truley wrote: »
    My father did the leaving cert at 55 through the VEC. So no, you are never too old to do it :)

so he didn't get in during 40 years or something and had to repeat every single year ? :eek: just kidding .

i'd say the younger you do it the better , of course only if you care about education .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the ideal LC student would be one about 21 or so, who has worked for a bit, grown up and realises the value of short-term pain to get long-term gain.

It's good at any age though, though ten years later you'll wonder what all the fuss was about, as in terms of life's stresses and successes, it's WAY down the list of anything important.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

No age is too old. This year there was external students in our exam hall too, one had to have been 65+ , white hair, pink cardigan, the lot. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gazzacarroll

Personally I believe that it comes down to personality. Maturity does make a big difference. My year of 65 students this year more than half were 18 plus doing the leaving cert. I found that the 16-17 year old struggled with the whole "sit down and study, its only 3 weeks of your life" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i know a girl who has to repeat next year and she did the leaving at 14 yrs old now with me.but whats the point because u have to be 16 /17 for college

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    No age is too old. This year there was external students in our exam hall too, one had to have been 65+ , white hair, pink cardigan, the lot. :p
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

ayumi wrote: »
    u have to be 16 /17 for college

Lies :eek:. So how did this guy graduate when he was 10? >>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kearney :D

pathway33 wrote: »
    Lies :eek:. So how did this guy graduate when he was 10? >>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Kearney :D
    16/17 for college 2011,u have to be 17 on or before juanuary somthing and did u mean lies abt the girl i was talking about?

16/17 for college 2011,u have to be 17 on or before juanuary somthing and did u mean lies abt the girl i was talking about?

no i didn't mean lies about the girl you were talking about. I mean that colleges all over the world including ireland have always made exceptions for very gifted children and teenagers under 17 to enter college because they are academically able for it and in most cases will be near the top of their class in university

no i didn't mean lies about the girl you were talking about. I mean that colleges all over the world including ireland have always made exceptions for very gifted children and teenagers under 17 to enter college because they are academically able for it and in most cases will be near the top of their class in university
    but now this girl who has done the junior cert has to repeat as she cant go to college so why was she told to repeat if she was gifted?

but now this girl who has done the junior cert has to repeat as she cant go to college so why was she told to repeat if she was gifted?

because the people I'm tallking about are very very very very gifted. The girl you know is just gifted which is just not good enough if you want to get into university at 14 :)

because the people I'm tallking about are very very very very gifted. The girl you know is just gifted which is just not good enough if you want to get into university at 14 :)
    yea i do and dont understand where ur coming from

Advertisement