Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a chew toy for a Springer pup

Options
  • 21-06-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

Got a Springer pup last week and despite all the kongs and other toys we have for her she will just chew anything else, legs of tables etc does anyone know of a good chew toy that will keep her entertained and also is good for her

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Have you tried pigs ears and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sarciegit

was told not to give them a pup that age, is that right? Not used to having a dog in the house, grew up on a farm where they were left to their own devices outside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I wouldnt recommend pigs ears for young pups at all.

If you go to your local pet shop there should be a range of good chew toys so maybe try and get a selection of diff types and that should keep her happy.
    Rope toys are great too and are great for puppies when they are teething as they arent too hard for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Try putting some of her food in the kongs to keep her occupied for longer. Or try frozen kongs, as she may be teething & these will keep her occupied & soothe her gums.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I don't think there's a problem giving things like pigs ears (not too many or it might upset the digestive tract) but all dogs have different chewing styles. You can get Nylabones in different hardnesses and shapes (and flavors I think)- my fella loves them (incidentally he's the one who got the odd pig ear as a pup, never any probs). Rope toys are good too but some dogs will simply chew through them quickly and eat lots of string. Have you tried filling the kongs with treats, peanut butter, etc, to keep him occupied for longer? You might also try keeping him more confined and away from furniture by using kiddie door gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The only toy our puppy would chew was nylabone stuff -the puppy keys and puppy stix. The puppy nylabone products have a bit of give in them/are flexable and he liked them. He's 11 months old now and has moved on to the souper ones :rolleyes: :) You can also tie a tea towel/sock etc in a knot, wet it then freeze. Ice is brilliant for them too and handy to give outside this time of year - if you take a sandwich bag/bowl/lunchbox etc and put some water and add some of their food/treats/veggies/fruit and then freeze it's like an icepop for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sarciegit

tk123 wrote: »
    The only toy our puppy would chew was nylabone stuff -the puppy keys and puppy stix. The puppy nylabone products have a bit of give in them/are flexable and he liked them. He's 11 months old now and has moved on to the souper ones :rolleyes: :) You can also tie a tea towel/sock etc in a knot, wet it then freeze. Ice is brilliant for them too and handy to give outside this time of year - if you take a sandwich bag/bowl/lunchbox etc and put some water and add some of their food/treats/veggies/fruit and then freeze it's like an icepop for them!

thanks for all the help guys, have a Kong in the freezer for her tonight, and will hit the petshop and look for some of those nylabone toys.

The icepop idea could be something new for her tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got the nylabones in Pet Mania in Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Kongs are great, being creative with them is the trick - freeze some potatoes in them, or some dry dog food (wetted and mushed up). Putting sticky things in them also works - gloops mash or a little bit of peanut butter go a very long way! Air Kongs and Wubbas are also very good. Nylabones are good too but some dogs just don't take to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My fella I find is too lazy for kongs, he won't put the effort into getting the food out.
    What I find brilliant for him is getting an empty maxi twist tub, (ya know the ice cream with red and green stuff in it), filling it with some dry dog food, sliced apple, and some of his treats. Then filling it up with water and popping it in the freezer, I put a few small stones on top to stop all the food floating to the top but obviously remove them before giving it to a dog. The dog food and treats soaks up some water giving the ice some flavour to it, and the apple slices become hard and give the dog something to really chew at. It has the added advantage of cooling them down in hot weather too. Also once it has frozen I find it easier for the ice to slip out than if it was in a lunchbox, also its the perfect size for terrier sized dogs to carry in their mouths. Carrots are good too, a healthy treat and will last longer if you freeze it.

If you wrap cling film around the table legs and smear something like tabasco sauce, or something really nasty tasting on it, he won't chew it for long, but you need to make sure he has something else to redirect his chewing onto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Being creative with the Kong is a good idea, our pup ..well he's a year now still chews stuff I gave up though and he chews the chair legs but I hate the chairs anyway lol

Not sure how effective anti-chew sprays are but might help putting it on the stuff he shouldn't chew on.

You know those white bones that are filled with stuff, Aldi sometimes has them as well as pet shops etc. They're usually just called filled bones the stuff they are filled with isn't great but there's not much of it but the dog still loves to chew the bone part. Might be worth trying them as well as the Nyla bones if he's a strong chewer perhaps a larger tougher one might help.

Our guy loves ice cubes as well.

Advertisement