Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet - static IP recipe with daisychained netopia router?

• 21-06-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

Okay - moving from a LAN based around static ip's is doing my head in.

My set-up:

Magnet modem/router - Telsey with no config options - locked down, public ip.

...which is connected via ethernet to a 3Com 8 port switch (the wireless functionality of the Tesley isn't made use of).

Connected to the ethernet switch is a PC, two desktop Macs, a postscript laser printer, and an Airport Extreme base station (in bridge mode). On the wireless network there's a couple of powerbooks, a PS3, and a hard drive media player connected to an Airport Express in 'extend wireless network' mode.

The media player has pretty much stopped seeing the PC on the LAN - despite updating ip etc. PS3 Media Server, won't stream video despite seeing the source directories on the LAN - which is probably related to the Airport wireless status on the powerbooks - which constantly circles between 'on' and 'looking for networks' - which I guess is down to either IP or DHCP issues. There's still web and LAN access on the powerbooks, but I assume it's constantly re-connecting, hence trips up the video stream to the PS3.

Bottom line is that life was much simpler, and everything worked with a static IP set-up. I've read that daisychaining a netopia router (or any router) between the Telsey and the switch (using a crossover cable) will allow a static IP from the router downwards. Can anyone who has done this provide an idiot's set of instructions?

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just set static IPs on all the PCs, laptops, Macs, and other network equipment. You don't need to do anything to the router. Just make all the IPs in the correct range, and obviously don't duplicate any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

jor el wrote: »
    Just set static IPs on all the PCs, laptops, Macs, and other network equipment. You don't need to do anything to the router. Just make all the IPs in the correct range, and obviously don't duplicate any.

I'll need to re-configure the router surely? It's currently got the old eircom settings. Also what's the specific cable connection set-up - do I use one of the ethernet ports on the netopia or do I have to use the DSL input? Like I say - assume idiot's guide for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't use the eircom modem in conjunction with the Magnet one. It's useless to you, unless you plan to replace the Magnet router all together.

What you should be able to do is use the Magnet router, and just set static IPs on all devices. That will eliminate DHCP as the cause of any issues.

Another option would be to buy a new router (not an ADSL modem/router like you currently have) and add it after the Magnet router. This is over kill though, and shouldn't be necessary.

jor el wrote: »
    What you should be able to do is use the Magnet router, and just set static IPs on all devices. That will eliminate DHCP as the cause of any issues.

Nope that doesn't work - just manually assigned the PC an IP (10.0.0.XXX and then 87.198.25.XY as opposed to the automatically assigned IP 87.198.25.XX) and lost internet connectivity. Any IP other than manually entering the exact same number as that automatically assigned results in lost connectivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Do you really need a public IP on every one of your devices?
    Can you not install a broadband router and use that as a DHCP server and NAT gateway?

• Advertisement

daffy_duc wrote: »
    Do you really need a public IP on every one of your devices?
    Can you not install a broadband router and use that as a DHCP server and NAT gateway?

I neither need nor want public IP's on all devices, I just want static IP's within my LAN. My wireless network currently uses the Airport basestation as a DHCP router/server and, as mentioned, I'm getting this continual 'looking for networks' loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you were able to get all your DSL settings you would be able to use the Eircom modem as apposed to the magnet one, but from what I hear they refuse to hand that information out as they only want their own equipment connected to the network. Additionally from what I hear they won't let you set up a NAT'd environment from their router either.

Unfortunately you can't reuse the Eircom modem behind the router as it only supports nat on the rj11 dsl connection. You can however use your airport router as a NAT'd router between your switch and your modem. Just put it in DHCP mode instead to get an address from Magnet and then you can setup a statically assigned private address range behind that. Such that your apple router would be the only thing with a publicly routable ip address.

Knasher wrote: »
    You can however use your airport router as a NAT'd router between your switch and your modem. Just put it in DHCP mode instead to get an address from Magnet and then you can setup a statically assigned private address range behind that. Such that your apple router would be the only thing with a publicly routable ip address.

Doh! Never considered that. That would make sense alright. I'll give that a shot this evening.

Advertisement