Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job or Masters?

Options
  • 21-06-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all,

Happy Monday and all that jazz.

I'm currently working full time in a publishing house. I applied to do my Masters in Letterkenny last year, got the course but deferred my place for the year as I thought I'd see how the job goes...(as I was only here a month at that stage). So this year I am thinking of doin the Masters.

I applied for the grant and received the letter to say I had been approved. But as usual with the council, I have to resubmit for this year.

I just have 2 questions, if anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it -

- First one is has anyone worked while doing their Masters? It says there is 12 hours class time but I presume with the Masters it takes over your life. Work want to keep me on for 2 days a week and I was wondering is this feasible?

- And the second one is about the full maintenance grant. It says that you can receive a special rate (€6000) but what are the chances of getting this?

I am smashed broke at the mo, so money is a big issue.

Thanks for your time and help (hopefully :) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Most of the people on my Masters worked, but our classes were in the late afternoon/evenings so they fitted nicely around 9-5s. I know a couple of lads who worked full-time (:eek:) for the duration and did just fine in the course. I did two days a week and I found it fine, a little bit of planning goes a long way with the workload and it's rare something will pop up out of the blue that would have you wishing you didn't have work to go to. An outside 'interest' might also help maintain your sanity!

Re. the financing, to qualify for the 'Special Rate' you have to be in receipt of a listed social welfare type benefit (most VECs will list what they are) as well as having your income under a certain level. Poverty in itself doesn't qualify I'm afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Faith2010

hey,

Thanks for the advice! puts my mind at ease a little! :)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Faith2010 wrote: »

- And the second one is about the full maintenance grant. It says that you can receive a special rate (€6000) but what are the chances of getting this?

I'd say that's unlikely, there's a lot of requirements and even if you fulfill them all you aren't guaranteed the top up. Obviously if you meet the requirements you should apply just don't get your hopes up is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I left a very safe job last Sept to go back and do a masters. I have to say it was the best decision I ever made.

However I found it was a HUGE shock from going from full time wages to part time. My masters has been really hard but very rewarding...basically for 6 weeks I safely guess no one in our class got more than 4 or 5 hours sleep a night.

I worked weekends which was horrible but a means to an end. I would even have to do college work before and after work at the weekends.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

job...there is ALWAYS time later to do a Masters!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I've worked on and off part-time over the year, and I think working probably helped focus me because I had to set aside a couple of set hours every week and get my work done then. When I haven't been working I've found I've too much time, and I struggle a bit to get my MA work done. Almost everyone I know doing an MA works at least part time, whether it's as office admin or working in a pub/restraunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I worked almost full time during mine, I did a research MA so there where no actual classes to attend, though I managed to argue that my thesis topic was relvant enough to attend a clinical presentation followed by a seminar once a week in St Vincents and meetings with my supervisor. Apart from that all my college work was done in the evenings and weekends. Provided you can work your hours around your lectures I cannot see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Faith2010

hey all,

Thanks for all your help and advice. looks like working part time is the thing to do!! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

Sorry to hijak the thread, but can you get the top-up rate doing an MA?

I thought it was only undergrad for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Sorry to hijak the thread, but can you get the top-up rate doing an MA?

I thought it was only undergrad for some reason.

Yes, only if you received it as an undergrad as far as I know. I don't know whether this applies in the same way to mature students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

Brillo pads that excellent! Yeah I got it during the under grad so should still be eligible.

Advertisement