Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going to IADT or take job?

Options
  • 21-06-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there

I have been offered a provisional place on the Multimedia Systems course at Iadt this september going straight into second year!! however I have been offered a new job for six month fixed term!!

so not sure whether I should take up the job or return to fulltime education for the next three years and hope at that time there will be jobs going!!

all replys welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

I think you should go to IADT. The job only lasts for 6 months (maybe more if you're lucky), but the safest thing to do would take up a place in this course. You'll have a degree by the end of it, increasing your chances of employment, probably with a better offer! (rather than 6 months!)

Also it's an awesome college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

Hi Swapple

thanks for the reply!! yeah im in two minds at the mo!! the job offer looks pretty good, and could be extended too....i keep feeling that by going back to college il by going over old ground as i already have over 10years experience in the whole web design/development IT area!!

god when it rains it pours with me :(

No problem :)

It's great that you have the 10 years experience, thats quite an advantage, but do you have a degree or some kinda certificate? I'm always told that when it comes to IT, there's always something new to learn. After 3 years, there's a high possibility there'll be a lot more jobs available too.

And I don't mean to seem like a negative nancy, but what if they don't extend the job beyond 6 months? Then you'll have to wait til next September

yeah thats true and il be back to square one again!! the problem these days is that there are few permanent jobs these days, they are all three and six month ones!!

no i doin't have a degree but various certs and diplomas ranging from general IT to webmaster level two.....but yeah im really tempted to get a degree behind me...but also a kind of nervous about going back to full time education as im in my 30s :(

wud you really recomend the course to a person in my situation???

I've been through quite a few job websites in the last two years and that 3-6 month contract is a consistent thing everywhere. This is just my opinion, but if I were you, I'd be inclined to go to college, that way you get a degree and you have 10 years experience in the field + extra qualifications (you may even be over qualified but there'll be so much more options out there in 3 years). It just sounds better than going for a job hoping that the contract will be extended.

I'm probably pushing the idea of college because I've been in slightly similar situation. I was in college and I got offered a job but I was unable to keep going to college and working at the same time so I dropped out. Then when the contract ended, I had absolutely nothing for months and months.

As for your age I don't really think being in you thirties is an issue. I was once in a course and there was only one mature student in the class, but he was the most popular guy in college! You just have to have an open mind and be friendly and others will be friendly back, at least that's what I have seen happen.

• Advertisement

Hey Swapple

thanks for the replys and you make perfect sense :) i have until friday to accept the offer or the job and i do think having the degree behind me wud make me that more employable when the so called upturn comes.

do you know much about the content of the course etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055842480

Your not alone ! 30 and heading to college for the 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭beamer-89

Congrats on the offer of a place!

I've just finished 3rd year in this course myself. In 2nd year we covered jsp as our main programming language. We had a class where we learned flash AS2 and also had a design class. computer modelling was class which involves some maths. There was also some theory classes like computer architecture and i think we had a software production class as well where we learn use case diagrams etc.

In 3rd year we moved on to learning AS3 and also started to learn flex and papervision. We covered ASP.NET and also began database and SQL etc. Networks was also a class with a lot of theory, sometimes too much! There is also a business class which you learn everything about making a business plan and starting business etc. As well as classes there is also a project which last the whole year which is generally done in pairs, at the end of the year a showcase is held and you can show you work and ability to any industry people that appear.

Hope this has help you a little and best of luck!

No problem cavancola73 :) glad I could help you out a little!

Not sure about course content ie. subjects, but check out www.qualifax.ie it should give you a few answers.

Hope whatever you decide to do works out for you :)

hey Chorai

sure your only a young one at 30 :) go for it, anyway if the so called upturn comes along we will be on the pigs back :) life is all about learning so we should make the most of it if we're in the position to go back to college cos not everyone is lucky enough to do so :)

• Advertisement

well Swapple i have accepted the place and im sure it will all work out :)

Thanks beamer-89 for the info which has been really helpful :) can you tell me what has been your overall impression about the course so far?

Advertisement