Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bold, bad "feral" tom cat

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Several times recently there has been a distinct parfum de tomcat in our bedroom..

Ours are neutered and have never been sprayers..

Then we realised that a lot of food was being eaten; our cats are free to eat at will, and they are in and out of the bedroom window also freely.

We have seen a couple or three ??ferals?? around over the months and, ridiculous as it seemd, wondered if one might be coming in while we slept..

So we started leaving the bedroom window closed and opening windows at the back; any intruder would then have to get past the dog to access food. Our cats know all the ins and outs.

On Saturday we were out trading all day..... No sign of our cats when we came in, and we are never settled until we have seen them.

So we left the bedroom window open that night..

Soon after midnight, a hissing woke us. When we switched the light on.. LO! There he was, munching away..large as life..

He fled fast.

A relief to know that we were not imagining the smell etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

bold as brass ha ha!! maybe ye should name him Stealth!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

That happened to me once too- I only have 1 female neutered cat, so I knew it couldn't be her. Tom had sprayed in the kitchen, so any time I had to leave window open, I left one of the dogs in the room. Needless to say, no more adventurous kitties came in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I used to have a cat flap in my bedroom window and I had to unneutered female kittens, and the neighbours tom cat came in the window (the girl cats were in my room) he got tangled up in the net curtain and I found him there, he was terrified poor cat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I have trapped & neutered a few feral toms now (have 1 or 2 more to catch when I can afford it) I tamed 2 of the boys - we sadly lost Henry a big rough tough purr bag. but our nervous Hugo is asleep on the bed as I am typing this.

Both were very wild & needed lots of time to calm down - once they purred once for me they were MINE!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

FAYESY wrote: »
    I have trapped & neutered a few feral toms now (have 1 or 2 more to catch when I can afford it) I tamed 2 of the boys - we sadly lost Henry a big rough tough purr bag. but our nervous Hugo is asleep on the bed as I am typing this.

Both were very wild & needed lots of time to calm down - once they purred once for me they were MINE!

Great thing to do.. I did think of that.... Why I wrote "feral" as I did is that I suspect that this is a neglected farm cat. This makes three toms who have come here.

But we are moving soon and there is just too much to do, and we have as many animals as we can cope with

Our oddest "catch" was the huge black tom who came in and got his head firmly stuck in a large cat food tin. The noise was amazing as he clanked round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

FAYESY wrote: »

Sorry this is a bit off topic but how did you catch them?

Thinking of getting two female cats neutered where we are. They're as wild as they come, their mother was a harmless wild cat that used to live in our shed that had them about a year ago. Don't want to cause too much distress to them though but I know they'll be kitten machines soon if we don't get it sorted.

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Sorry this is a bit off topic but how did you catch them?

Thinking of getting two female cats neutered where we are. They're as wild as they come, their mother was a harmless wild cat that used to live in our shed that had them about a year ago. Don't want to cause too much distress to them though but I know they'll be kitten machines soon if we don't get it sorted.

To me, this is very much on-topic... many vets/rescues will loan out humane traps for this purpose; find a rescue group in your area that is into the TNR programme.

Better a bit of stress now than a life of unchecked breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Graces7 wrote: »
    To me, this is very much on-topic... many vets/rescues will loan out humane traps for this purpose; find a rescue group in your area that is into the TNR programme.

Better a bit of stress now than a life of unchecked breeding.

That's true, and it's the last thing we want to be honest. The group that turn up now are a grand bunch, very wild though. Excellent, thanks for the info will give a look into this and see what can be done.

wayne0308 wrote: »
    That's true, and it's the last thing we want to be honest. The group that turn up now are a grand bunch, very wild though. Excellent, thanks for the info will give a look into this and see what can be done.

I love to see cats in the "wild"; something so free about them. More natural. Our two are free to come and go and it is wonderful to come across them sitting high up in a tree watching the world go by. As you say, grand....

But not when they are spraying the bed!!

Advertisement