Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor

• 21-06-2010 11:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

Is Mary Roche going to be the new mayor of Waterford City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

According to Newspaper reports last year, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It's all decided when the new city council is elected. Some of the concillors buddy up to form a majority and spread around the mayor's job, deputy mayor's job and all the committee positions between them over the next 5 years.

Personally I'd rather see the Mayor being elected but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Deise Tom wrote: »

I hope so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I hope so ;)

Yeah me too + 1!! :D
    She seems so reasonable & just gets on with her job with the minimum of fuss. I like the way she shuns the limelight & stays out of the media. Oh
    yeah we could do with a Mayor like her..... WAIT A MINUTE! What's that you say "she has her own website & blog?", she wants everyone on the dole to do a bit of street cleaning & has an opinion on just about everthing!!
    But why would she want the role of Mayor? After all she is currently (deep breath) an Elected Local Representative, Chairperson Waterford Area Partnership, Waterford City Joint Policing Committee, Waterford Youth Committee, City East Area Committee. Member of Waterford Institute of Technology Governing Body, Waterford City VEC, Waterford City Enterprise Board, Waterford City Enterprise Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

wasnt she twitting recently bout people working for free to get theit statuory entitlements after being left off or made redundant.........

tawdie would problally be a better mayor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mary Roche is inept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Unless she grows an epic moustache I refuse to conform.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    wasnt she twitting recently bout people working for free to get theit statuory entitlements after being left off or made redundant.........

tawdie would problally be a better mayor

Yes...That was a great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Unless she grows an epic moustache I refuse to conform.

Yeah, based on moustaches I reckon Halligan was the best mayor ever!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Oh gawd no, jaysus we'll have to listen to her bleeting on more than ever. Talk about empty vessels making the most noise.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    Oh gawd no, jaysus we'll have to listen to her bleeting on more than ever. Talk about empty vessels making the most noise.

Tut Tut!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Why do people have to be so crute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Is that a mix between cruel and cute?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Is that a mix between cruel and cute?

I heard it was being cruel while playing your flute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Sweet god no !!
    wait a min... does it really matter who's mayor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

yes it does,
    their mug will be printed problally weekly in local newspapers

even showing off the latest summer fashions ....mustaches_tomselleck13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I like Mary Roche, she seems to have plenty get up & go about her.

Halligan was a great Mayor, & what a mustache!!!

who´ll be mayor when the tall ships come in?

really though ... the mayor should be the person who tops the polls in the local elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I reckon this will be her last time as Mayor - there are plenty of people who voted for her (me included) who will never voter for her again due to the fact she alienated her electorate by not listening to them and calling their judgement into question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Bards wrote: »
    I reckon this will be her last time as Mayor - there are plenty of people who voted for her (me included) who will never voter for her again due to the fact she alienated her electorate by not listening to them and calling their judgement into question

How did she do that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think she would make a good mayor. She's another independent like Halligan so she won't be towing any party line like the rest of the councillors.
    Junior wrote: »
    How did she do that ?
    Think he's referring to her opinion on the speed limit on the outer ring road. I stand to be corrected by Bards if he's on about something else.

Why is a politician not allowed to call the judgement of their electorate into question?

• Advertisement

I think she would make a good mayor. She's another independent like Halligan so she won't be towing any party line like the rest of the councillors.

Think he's referring to her opinion on the speed limit on the outer ring road. I stand to be corrected by Bards if he's on about something else.

Why is a politician not allowed to call the judgement of their electorate into question?

If the electorate can judge politicians, i cant see why politicians cannot judge the electorate.

Regarding the Outer Ring Road speed limit she ran with the hare and chased with the hound and got caught out doing so.

She's a hypocrite about the speed limit because she has no problem exceeding it on the Dunmore Road and I have no problem standing over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

If the electorate can judge politicians, i cant see why politicians cannot judge the electorate.

Ah lads come on ye are better than this surely!

Ye're not politicians by any chance are ye?
    Are one of ye Mary Roche?

If she is so worried about the judgement of the people who elected her the first thing she would want to do is resign in the interest of fair politics.
    All they would be doing is making a case why they shouldnt have been elected in the first place.

Are ye making a case for lying to get elected?

deisemum wrote: »
    Regarding the Outer Ring Road speed limit she ran with the hare and chased with the hound and got caught out doing so.

She's a hypocrite about the speed limit because she has no problem exceeding it on the Dunmore Road and I have no problem standing over that.

MEOW!!

hmm that's like saying

"if the Judges can judge Criminals why can't the criminals judge judges"

Answer - Anarchy would reign

Bards wrote: »
    hmm that's like saying

"if the Judges can judge Criminals why can't the criminals judge judges"

Answer - Anarchy would reign

Criminals do judge the judges. Arent they always wrong in their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The mayoral election was tonight, so Mary Roche has been elected. Theres an air of positivity about the place recently so I wish her a good year as mayor.

Waterford deserves a great year, and with the weather improving, and the Crystal centre attracting people to our city, and the Tall Ships returning, we can hope for good things.

Trotter wrote: »
    The mayoral election was tonight, so Mary Roche has been elected. Theres an air of positivity about the place recently so I wish her a good year as mayor.

Waterford deserves a great year, and with the weather improving, and the Crystal centre attracting people to our city, and the Tall Ships returning, we can hope for good things.

Now that has just pissed me off. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I'm a supporter for Davy Walsh not on a party level but on a representative level for my constituency he's top notch. But what really grinds my gears is he's in the council more than 30 years and hasn't been made mayor because he wishes to not join the pact. Surely common sense should prevail here. No disrespect for Mary Roche but wouldn't it be a nice gesture after all the years service.

• Advertisement

Odats wrote: »
    I'm a supporter for Davy Walsh not on a party level but on a representative level for my constituency he's top notch. But what really grinds my gears is he's in the council more than 30 years and hasn't been made mayor because he wishes to not join the pact. Surely common sense should prevail here. No disrespect for Mary Roche but wouldn't it be a nice gesture after all the years service.

Yes totally agree, the more I look at it the council seems to exist to serve the council rather than the people who elected them.

They should be made to look at their contract of employment every day where they will see that they are "Public Representatives" not self styled me feiner's

Advertisement