Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS4 update Today: Download Released @6:00pm

• 21-06-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

OK,

We all know the update is today, and I've got some questions. I'd rather post a new thread as the others are still talking about the GM version and I'm not updating to this.

As this is the official iTunes update do we still need to backup? Is it enough to right click on the iPhone and select backup or is there another way of doing it?
    I'm asking cause my backup took a maximum of 1 minutes, it's a 16gb 3gs with about 1gb used.

Once we've updated the phone will be totally wiped and then we just right click again and restore?

I don't sync contacts of texts to outlook but will these still be backed up?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I thought the official version wasn't out until the 24th?

Yes Ricky, back up your device even though you only have 1gb of material on it.

It should restore everything automatically once the install is complete - that's what happened with the OS3 update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I thought the official version wasn't out until the 24th?

Yes Ricky, back up your device even though you only have 1gb of material on it.

It should restore everything automatically once the install is complete - that's what happened with the OS3 update.

Thanks for that, nope it's being released around 5pm today, the iPhone 4 is meant to be released on the 24th. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i have a 3g and just found out theres no multitasking for the 3g!!:mad::(:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Stab*City wrote: »
    i have a 3g and just found out theres no multitasking for the 3g!!:mad::(:mad::(
    And there's no home screen wallpapers :(

I said in another thread I think it's a friendly nudge to upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

ive run the GM version with the multitasking enabled and when jobbsie said it wasnt suitable he wasnt wrong. i found it terrible. so much so ive gone back to 3.1.3 and will stay at that for as long as possible. overall it was slow and clunky feeling. will wait for others opinions on the official release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is it sad that I'm quite looking forward to this being released? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is it sad that I'm quite looking forward to this being released? :)
    There's a lot of sad people in here, then. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm more looking forward to the apps that will be taking advantage of iOS4's new api's, than the OS itself. Especially looking forward to tomtom being updated to allow for multitasking. Taking a call without being knocked out of the app will be dead handy. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Make sure you update to iTunes 9.2 and do your backups in that version ahead of the iOS4 release. Saves any potential hassle.

• Advertisement

I would love to think that would save any potential hassle. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

3G only has half the RAM (ie. system memory, not storage) of the 3GS, which is why it isn't suitable.

So anywhere from 5pm (9am PST) it could be released, Some people are saying 10am PST but no one know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just backed up my iPhone. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

I'm looking forward to the multi-tasking, but mainly when my apps get updated to take advantage of it. I also like the new feature where WiFi doesn't drop off once the phone is locked/sleeping.

http://www.aydincanpolatkan.com/blog/?p=423 Oh no...?

Just set up a #iOS4 search on tweetdeck, Someone* will tweet when it's available.

*By someone I mean thousands :pac:

Also
    118850638-40e3b450151632e4fa2eb8a86b2543c9.4c1f8c80-full.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

what time will that be over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Apple HQ is in California which is 8 hours behind us, so it should be released at 9pm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

13:00pm local(california) is 9pm Irish time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Ricky91t wrote: »
    And there's no home screen wallpapers :(

I downloaded it yesterday and jailbroke it with redsn0w. It gives you the option to enable multitasking, and homescreen wallpaper works too.

I just pressed the update button in Itunes for s/w update and got the following message:

'This version(3.1.3) is the current version of s/w for the iphone. So stop pressing update and feck off'

WTF? :)

• Advertisement

HBK wrote: »
    I just pressed the update button in Itunes for s/w update and got the following message:

'This version(3.1.3) is the current version of s/w for the iphone. So stop pressing update and feck off'

WTF? :)

Steve is a funny guy....

;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

45 mins.........
    hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Kahless wrote: »
    3G only has half the RAM (ie. system memory, not storage) of the 3GS, which is why it isn't suitable.

I can understand that in respect of the multitasking issue but I doubt it takes much RAM to change a wallpaper. Definately Apple pushing 3G owners onto the 4.

Anyone know how to stop the carrier update pop up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I can understand that in respect of the multitasking issue but I doubt it takes much RAM to change a wallpaper. Definately Apple pushing 3G owners onto the 4.

Definitely, the 3G isn't going to be on sale anymore AFAIK?
    (I'm still going to buy a 4 anyway :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

phill106 wrote: »
    I downloaded it yesterday and jailbroke it with redsn0w. It gives you the option to enable multitasking, and homescreen wallpaper works too.

Your jailbroken multitasking will not work the same as the iOS4 multitasking and will probably drain the battery more!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Your jailbroken multitasking will not work the same as the iOS4 multitasking and will probably drain the battery more!

possibly! I may redo it without it, as i am not sure if i like it....

Im offering 3/1 odds that the update server explodes before the update is even released

• Advertisement

Krieg wrote: »
    Im offering 3/1 odds that the update server explodes before the update is even released

They'll be more than one I'd say :pac:

But I'll take those odds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Seven minutes.. :D

Krieg wrote: »

Yes...and then Apple will blame Adobe Flash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i don't think you got a bad deal there either,

iphone = €519 over a 2 year period, is €259.50 a year, which is €129.75 every 6 months,

pre-iphone i went through a new phone (sony/samsung/nokia) every 6 months due to technical faults, (phones turning themselves off, tech problems in general) and spent 100-150 euro on them....so im happy with the iphone its pricing and 2 yearly upgrade!

DOWNLOADING!! 25 minutes, 378mb on a 3mb connection :)

Come on you stupid update button!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

so, do you get it by clicking the check for update button? cos that's not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

DOWNLOADING!! 25 minutes, 378mb on a 3mb connection :)

My iPod Touch (64gb thanks to my awesome and very understanding gf) is still in the shop with a broken screen. It kills me not being able to update today. Arg. ARG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

evil_seed wrote: »
    so, do you get it by clicking the check for update button? cos that's not working

Same here!

Appley bastards - only available now I have to get the train!

Till tomorrow, then. :pac:

Yep, I clicked check for updated

I've attacthed the screen of the download, it just worked for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

downloading :D:D

Wonder who's got the quickest connection :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shinnerssc

come on!!! why hasn't mine showed up yet!!!!!

How are some getting it and some not?
    I'm clicking on 'Check for Update' and keep getting your version 3.13 is the current version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm clicking on 'Check for Update' and keep getting your version 3.13 is the current version.

I'm in the same boat as you.:(

Maybe they've got a system in place to manage traffic, Downloads will only be allowed when there is a reasonnable amount of bandwidth available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Downloading :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Mine changed there is the last minute!!

Kept clicking Check for update

I had to restart itunes then click update to get it working

9 minutes :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement