Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS4 update Today: Download Released @6:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Stephen P wrote: »
    Cheers, how do you skip the backup process?

Just said 'No' when it asked me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

jamesd wrote: »
    Can today's update be jailbroken with redsn0w?

Id imagine so, as it is exactly the same firmware version. Do full backup first though!
    And make sure you have latest itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Feck sake, Just doing the update now and its updated and restarted but its "Optimizing Photos", I have 2500 photos and its doing one per second. Is there anyway of skipping this or is it vital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Oh, I didn't get that option, weird. I'm going out now so I'm going to leave it. I had problems before updating so may restore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

just installed ios4 no prob, however can someone check when sending an sms, does the senders name autofill as you start typing ?....cause it did on mine pre this update

update
    now works following reboot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Installing now on my 3G. Couldn't be bothered jailbreaking it again. My phone's been crawling since I jailbroke it 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Mr. Blah

Did you put in the request today or get the actual text to say it was done ?? ( if so how long did it take )

I put in the request when I rang to cancel my o2 contract on Friday morning at approx 9:15am.
    I got a text from o2 today at 14:33 saying "O2 have submitted your unlock request for iPhone IMEI #### to Apple. Apple should unlock the device via iTunes within the next two weeks. O2."
    Then at 15:34 (an hour later) I got another text from o2 saying "Apple have confirmed the iPhone IMEI #### is set to unlock. To complete the unlock, connect the device to iTunes with a SIM never used in the iPhone."

So either 3 days or 1 hour... whichever way you look at it xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Found my first bug :D

I had some music playing and had iTreadmill running (no pun intended). Anyway when I closed iTreadmill, it switched the music off :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Found my first bug :D

I had some music playing and had iTreadmill running (no pun intended). Anyway when I closed iTreadmill, it switched the music off :eek:

is that a new version of itreadmill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Dev team just said something big coming :) . Hopefully unlock out soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

iBooks is not available yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I've got the Gold Master release.

Should I restore and update or is the production release the same as GM?

Unlock is out I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

iBooks is now available, It's downloading to my 3GS as I type this :)

And there's free book :) Winnie the Pooh... yay!

Edit- Navigation of books in nice and easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Start itunes
    Get a pop up - A new iPhone version (4.0) is available for the iPhone "eyeFone". Would you like to download and install now?
    Click download only
    Then another pop up - Automatic checking for iTunes and iPhone updates is disabled. Would you like iTunes to check for a new iPhone software update?

Got that a bit backwards, I'd have thought....

Oh, then trying to download I get the obligatory - The iPhone software update server could not be contacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Are you sure thats not for the iPad mate??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My god the backup is fuppin' slow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Ultrasn0w released!!

Cydia repo is repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Works with basebands 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04

PaulT21 wrote: »

If you're talking to me, no. I've downloaded winnie the pooh directly to my iPhone and now about to test a PDF attatchment in it.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    iBooks is now available, It's downloading to my 3GS as I type this :)

And there's free book :) Winnie the Pooh... yay!

Edit- Navigation of books in nice and easy

Any luck there Ricky. I downloaded this a week ago and found it wsa only for the iPad and would'nt show up in the iPhone:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

looks like the unlock is out, how do you install cydia on os4? will spirit work or?

Any luck there Ricky. I downloaded this a week ago and found it wsa only for the iPad and would'nt show up in the iPhone:(

If you're running iOS4 search iBooks in the app store and it should be the number 1 option, Maybe restart your device?

Just to clarify the appstore on your iPhone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

you have to log in and download it via itunes on your computer but it is ibooks for iphone!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

ntlbell wrote: »
    looks like the unlock is out, how do you install cydia on os4? will spirit work or?

Looking online the unlock is out but no jailbreak for os4 as yet.

I hope I'm not spamming I'm just posting things as I find them, You can enable a character counter for texts! Go to setting> messages > character count

4722111034_8d9c048c26.jpg

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    Ultrasn0w released!!

Cydia repo is repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Works with basebands 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04
    did u try it yet ?

If you're running iOS4 search iBooks in the app store and it should be the number 1 option, Maybe restart your device?

Just to clarify the appstore on your iPhone!
    you have to log in and download it via itunes on your computer but it is ibooks for iphone!!! :D

Thanks folks,

Clearly not as smart as I think I am:D

Thanks for the heads up..

Cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Argh! Back up is so slow... This will be an overnighter at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Argh! Back up is so slow... This will be an overnighter at this rate.

yup! twenty minutes and counting now.. oh wait.. it's rebooting itself.. exciting!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

jeez, that took forever. me sad that there is no custom wallpaper for 3G, thought
    it might have snuck in there even though they said it wouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Over an hour and a half and I'm just this far:

backup.jpg

It's only an 8gig iPhone.. sheesh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Mr E wrote: »
    My god the backup is fuppin' slow....

Same here. I couldn't skip it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭wayne040576

copacetic wrote: »
    jeez, that took forever. me sad that there is no custom wallpaper for 3G, thought
    it might have snuck in there even though they said it wouldn't

Does the 3G get anything?

Yes, There's alot of things that weren't mentioned but the 3G should get it just doesn't get many of the "major" updates apple showed on their site..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just downloaded there..
    it does seem a little faster at scrolling.
    but can anyone tell me, howcome when I view my folder of photos(pictures that were taken with my last phone) the quality on them seems really really bad now and blurry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Sweet F.A as far as I can see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

So far it's looking slick. One thing I notice is that it seems to not close apps but leaves them running in the background. Is that true or am I incorrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

no ya dont, i've just downloaded it from the appstore on my iphone

it's a bit meh so far, unified inbox and threading is cool. Folders are nice. home screen looks a bit nicer but haven't played around with it much so far.

Some talk online that it runs very slow on the 3G but seems ok so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Must be some sort of block they have put on, I can't email any of the photos off my phone that weren't taken on the phone itsself.

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »
    So far it's looking slick. One thing I notice is that it seems to not close apps but leaves them running in the background. Is that true or am I incorrect

That's the multitasking, Only works with a few apps at the moment, Apps should be updated in the coming days to support it.

That's the multitasking, Only works with a few apps at the moment, Apps should be updated in the coming days to support it.

ah cool, wunderradio stopped playing audio when i tried to multitask, i thought i was going to snap.. wunder radio will be getting a lot more use with multi tasking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

evil_seed wrote: »

You can close em by doubleclicking the home key which brings up the open apps. Then hold down on an open one and you get the x to close it.

ah crapo, just re sync'd the folder that had my old phone photo's
    out of 45 of them only one can be displayed, because they aren't "compatible"
    How were they compatable an hour ago?!
    they were takin on a sony erricson phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Roar wrote: »
    ah cool, wunderradio stopped playing audio when i tried to multitask, i thought i was going to snap.. wunder radio will be getting a lot more use with multi tasking!
    apps need to be updated before they can multitask, and they can only multitask using 7 multitasking api's that apple provide.

how do i create a folder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Small list so far.

1. Everything runs noticeably faster / smoother. Scrolling from pages and launching / closing apps is snappier.

2. iBooks. Free Winnie the Pooh and runs smoothly if not super quick not bad for a 2 year old phone.

3. Folders. Hold any app and drop onto another and your phone will automatically name a folder as to the category of apps inside. I've reduced my pages from 5 into 1.

4. The Look. It has the nice little shelf that your "main" apps sit on (text, phone, mail etc).

5. Camera Zoom. Built into the native app and works better than a separate third party app.

Disappointing:

x Can't change your home screen wallpaper (surely this can't be because of CPU speed or RAM. Really thought we were getting the droplet wallpaper you see on the iPhone 4 screenshots. I saw it for a a brief second as the new software was updating on my phone.

x Haven't found the orientation lock screen yet on the 3G. When I hold the home button / double tap, I just get the home screen, no options like I've seen around the net for the lock.

So far, it's pretty good for FREE! Breathes new life into a old phone.

copacetic wrote: »
    it's a bit meh so far, unified inbox and threading is cool. Folders are nice. home screen looks a bit nicer but haven't played around with it much so far.

Some talk online that it runs very slow on the 3G but seems ok so far.

there are a few other things too, camera zoom is nice too. All in all nothing special for 3G but definitely worth the update..

Roar wrote: »

There were 7 important multitasking API's released one of them being background audio streaming, there's info here

So app developers can use all of them, whether they do or not is up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

x Haven't found the orientation lock screen yet on the 3G. When I hold the home button / double tap, I just get the home screen, no options like I've seen around the net for the lock.

swipe to the left when you double tap the home button

Advertisement