Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS4 update Today: Download Released @6:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Hmmm. The backup time sucks.

I backedup right before I started the process so this time it seems like it must be uploading the contents of my phone to their servers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

swipe to the left when you double tap the home button

swipe what? when i'm in safari and I double tap the home button i'm brought to the home screen, no options to swipe anything. (i'm talking about a 3G here, not 3GS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

swipe what? when i'm in safari and I double tap the home button i'm brought to the home screen, no options to swipe anything. (i'm talking about a 3G here, not 3GS)
    as far as i know the only way to get to the orientation lock was to double tap the home button which would bring up the apps that are running at the moment and then you swipe left and you'll get the orientation lock and ipod controls.

but considering that you're using the 3G which doesn't have multi tasking i don't think you'll have the orientation lock, which in fairness is a bit ****e.

*EDIT* just saw you said 3G in the original post, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

GAH!

Popped out to the shops and the back up just stopped while I was away.

Back to square 1!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

GAH!

Popped out to the shops and the back up just stopped while I was away.

Back to square 1!

Server is unable to authenticate anyway, so you're better off leaving it til the morning.

• Advertisement

Wohooo. My backup has suddenly unclogged and its zipping through.

done!

extracting software...

Activating...

waiting...

Uh oh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Has anyone who had the GM version of the software noticed that the Game Centre App seems to have disappeared or is it just my iPhone again..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Saw this thread on the front page and decided to update to 4.

No idea why yet :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

I don't know..does anyone find it sluggish on the 3G?

And not just the apps but even stuff like settings..???

This thing has 6.9GB free space.

Saw this thread on the front page and decided to update to 4.

No idea why yet :confused:

I'm a simple being. Coloured backgrounds and folders is enough for me to make the switch.

I'm worried there may be issues though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Has anyone else got an error when backing up your phone? I have a 3g and have gotten the -43 error twice. What will happen to my data if I choose to skip the backup? Would the ordinary right click-> backup on the previous firmwire and itunes version work fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

can anyone tell me what will happen if i cancel the backup? it's going 2 hours now and i would say it's roughly at 10%.

what exactly is it backing up? 16gb of data back onto the phone? seems extremely slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Iomega Man wrote: »
    I don't know..does anyone find it sluggish on the 3G?

And not just the apps but even stuff like settings..???
    Initially, after restoring data and stuff yes it was very sluggish, so I rebooted and then it kicked into life after a minute or two. Much faster now than it was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm on 3.1.3 and spirit jailbroken, after i update can i rebreak with spirit or must i use another way? will updating wipe my cydia apps or render them unusable until i jailbreak again?

Oh great. So after all that It seems I cant change backgrounds.

Maybe because its a 3g? not a 3gs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

game centre isn't on mine ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Has anyone who had the GM version of the software noticed that the Game Centre App seems to have disappeared or is it just my iPhone again..:rolleyes:

The GM version is the exact same version as that which was released today, so I'm not getting the option to update as I already have the GM (so I still have Game Centre App).

That said, I just updated my wife's 8GB iPod Touch, and and the Game Centre app doesn't seem to come with the iOS4 install.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Oh great. So after all that It seems I cant change backgrounds.

Maybe because its a 3g? not a 3gs?

3G doesn't suppport them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No game centre here either, and can't find it in the app store :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭PaulT21

phutyle wrote: »
    The GM version is the exact same version as that which was released today, so I'm not getting the option to update as I already have the GM (so I still have Game Centre App).

That said, I just updated my wife's 8GB iPod Touch, and and the Game Centre app doesn't seem to come with the iOS4 install.

I had the GM version and to be honest, the only reason that I upgraded tonight was that the G Master seemed a bit unstable to me.
    A number of my apps would shut down for no particular reason, especially the TomTom ones.

I read online that the Game Center is missing from the actual iOS4 release.

No doubt it will reappear at some stage, probably with iAd:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

keane2097 wrote: »
    No game centre here either, and can't find it in the app store :confused:

That doesn't launch till later in the year.

Finding iOS4 to be very snappy on a 3GS.

copacetic wrote: »
    3G doesn't suppport them..

Yup. Oh well...

At least we only have to wait until thursday for the new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Its sorted my slow wifi issues out delighted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

murpho999 wrote: »
    No...your phone now runs on OS 3.1.3. iOS 4 is an update to version 4 and will replace 3.1.3.

Your contacts and calendars etc, will not be touched....it's an update to your phone's operating system, not its contents.

Lost all my contacts when I upgraded to the ios 4 this evening on my 3Gs, over 400, seem to have retained a random 50, not on sim as that's blank, have them up in my google contacts, setting are in the iphone still but it hasn't synch'd very annoying :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

hick wrote: »
    Lost all my contacts when I upgraded to the ios 4 this evening on my 3Gs, over 400, seem to have retained a random 50, not on sim as that's blank, have them up in my google contacts, setting are in the iphone still but it hasn't synch'd very annoying :mad:

That is strange, are you sure that your sync settings are syncing with the right contacts list in iTunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

9to5mac are reporting that the Game Centre didn't make the final cut, and Apple did say it won't be launcing till Autumn.

Engadget are reporting that Multitasking and background image aren't working among other things, but Im not sure what they mean when they say it doesnt work. As in it doesn't work with how they expected it to work, or it doesnt work fullstop? I believe Apps have to be specially updated to allow Multitasking which is a bit of a let down and alot of hassle. But if it means more reliable multitasking and not a drain on the battery, it's worth it.

So far I'm pretty impressed with this Update.

Instead of 8 pages of Apps, I'm down to 3 much more manageable.

Mutitasking is easy to use but not perfect. Does not yet work with all aps. e.g. I had Newstalk Radio open, switch to another ap and it immediately lost broadcast. Also when I switch out of Skype and back again it brings you back to sign in screen. Annoying but I don't blame Apple on these. Developers have had 3 months to update and make their aps compatible but not all have done so. Looks like loads of updates coming in the future.

Love the new character count on messaging.

Wallpaper works well, but don't really see the point when it is always blocked by icons.

New mail boxes are working a dream

OS seems to be working faster than previous version.

Spellchecking works very well, easy to use and seems pretty accurate.

Photo Camera zoom and touch to focus on video work very well.

Ibooks looks a good ap but needs more books available.

That's all I've discovered so far. Biggest improvement of all though appears to be wi-fi stabiity. I was getting constant , select network or 'cannot connect to chosen network' errors and often required me to enter my wi-fi password, was very annoying, however 6 hours on from update I haven't lost wi-fi connection once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Good post but you missed the geolocation of photos. Pretty cool that you can where all your previous picture were taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

"100s of new features"...

...but you still only get 6 crappy SMS tones.

WTF Apple? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭mitchmeister

ummmmmmm is it just me?? On the irish apple store it says the software is coming soon??? where dod u download it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Do you have to pay for this if your on ipod touch? Also how do you back up your ipod?

F*cking hell.

Finally just finished updating just this minute... now to have a look at the thing.

Bicky wrote: »
    Good post but you missed the geolocation of photos. Pretty cool that you can where all your previous picture were taken.

Forgot about that....how do you see the geotags?

Okay. The geotagging is awesome... it's also retroactively geotagged all my photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Bicky wrote: »
    Guaranteed to get you 10% more stalkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

What's up with ringtones why can't we buy them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Is it just me or has the layout of the "ipod" on the phone changed slightly ?

?ui=2&ik=dac31fb47c&view=att&th=1295e736e22200b9&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

Lads i dunno about ye but my battery is gone to the dogs, even when phone is in standby mode the battery is going down 1% every 10 15 mins approx which is alot worse than it was..... mad.gifmad.gif Not happy, anyone else find this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I had to cancel my 3G's update last night. I started it around 7:30 and it was still stuck at the beginning of the backup at midnight. Might try a manual backup tonight before attempting another update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Is anyone else having apps crash after the upgrade? For example, my speedtest app crashes every time just after launching...
    Same for some other apps aswell.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just to note for 3GS owners: Audio or GPS apps or whatnot will not actually multitask unless they've been written to use the backgrounding VOIP/Playback/GPS API's. It's pretty shabby though that the app developers didn't go and work at it: all my apps were ready for iOS 4.0 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

For the people having problems with battery and such, did you restore from backup or set it up as a new phone?

Personally I would setup as new phone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I downloaded 4.0 last night, i checked the version and it is 4.0 but the only difference is i now have an "all mail inbox" option if I want and the wallpaper is behind the apps. I have no folders or anything else.

Ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I downloaded 4.0 last night, i checked the version and it is 4.0 but the only difference is i now have an "all mail inbox" option if I want and the wallpaper is behind the apps. I have no folders or anything else.

Ideas???

You need to press on an icon until it wiggles then drag and drop it onto another icon and it will create a folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just starting the process. Any idea of how long it is going to take.

I am like a child at christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

nanook wrote: »
    just starting the process. Any idea of how long it is going to take.

I am like a child at christmas

Took me about 3 hours last night, from backup to full restore. I've about 15gb of material on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, started mine around 6.45. From downloading the new version of iTunes, all the way to fully restoring content took about an hour and 45 minutes with 13GB of content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

mad muffin wrote: »
    For the people having problems with battery and such, did you restore from backup or set it up as a new phone?

Personally I would setup as new phone.

I did restore and Battery is worse then GM seed.
    Even on standby it is going down.
    Will try to set up as a New Phone tonight.
    Hows your battery life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Back up took 10min and the update took 25min. 16GB iphone 3gs with 10gb in use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement