Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS4 update Today: Download Released @6:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

deep1 wrote: »
    I did restore and Battery is worse then GM seed.
    Even on standby it is going down.
    Will try to set up as a New Phone tonight.
    Hows your battery life?

I haven't updated to 4.0 yet, still on 3.1.3.

Last time I updated my 3G and then restored to backup my battery was pure ****e, I then restored and setup as new and battery is rock sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

mad muffin wrote: »
    I haven't updated to 4.0 yet, still on 3.1.3.

Last time I updated my 3G and then restored to backup my battery was pure ****e, I then restored and setup as new and battery is rock sold.

If you setup as new, you still backup the stuff , isn't it?

deep1 wrote: »
    If you setup as new, you still backup the stuff , isn't it?

Yeah backup 1st then when you setup as new you need to re-sync everything and then setup all the stuff on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I currently have 16g in use and it has just started so start the timers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

where are the paid books on ibooks?

photos have caused a lot of time in the update so it would have been done by now. Forgot I sync the last import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭oo7tk

Yeah backup 1st then when you setup as new you need to re-sync everything and then setup all the stuff on the phone.

how do you back up?? Do i need to put my phone back to factory settings?? ie the reset button under the update button in itunes??? Then go through the whole process again and then sync my phone???

I i factory reset my phone before the update and sync it after you say i will still have all my music and messages etc and my battery wont suck ass???

Cheers Tom...

PS sorry for the stooopid questions im a newbee to this....

oo7tk wrote: »
    how do you back up?? Do i need to put my phone back to factory settings?? ie the reset button under the update button in itunes??? Then go through the whole process again and then sync my phone???

I i factory reset my phone before the update and sync it after you say i will still have all my music and messages etc and my battery wont suck ass???

Cheers Tom...

PS sorry for the stooopid questions im a newbee to this....

Just backup the phone as normal (if you haven't done it already) then instead of hitting upgrade hit restore.

Once the software finishes to update your phone it will ask you if you want to restore from backup or setup as new. So you setup as new, then you will have to remember to re download any in app purchases, setup passwords you migt have, bookmarks and such.

All your email and texts will be gone.

done 5 minutes ago, been playing.

Tip for the future, turn off photo sync before you are backing up/updating and it will alot quicker

• Advertisement

Just backup the phone as normal (if you haven't done it already) then instead of hitting upgrade hit restore.

Once the software finishes to update your phone it will ask you if you want to restore from backup or setup as new. So you setup as new, then you will have to remember to re download any in app purchases, setup passwords you migt have, bookmarks and such.

All your email and texts will be gone.

Sorry about this now but is backing up the phone just syncing the phone??

Sorry about this now but is backing up the phone just syncing the phone??

Yep :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That was a hell of a upgrade and for nothing really.

iPhone 3G took guts of 3 hours to upgrade. Had to restore from previous backup after the upgrade was complete too.

The user interface is undecided at times whether to work efficiently or drag like snail. talk about a blatant push to get pre 3GS users to upgrade to a newer phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

FWIW, the new OS runs really snappily on the 3GS imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

faceman wrote: »
    That was a hell of a upgrade and for nothing really.

iPhone 3G took guts of 3 hours to upgrade. Had to restore from previous backup after the upgrade was complete too.

The user interface is undecided at times whether to work efficiently or drag like snail. talk about a blatant push to get pre 3GS users to upgrade to a newer phone.

Strange, my 8GB 3G was all done and dusted in about 30 minutes, and it runs way snappier than 3.1.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

My update only took about 20mins!! I love the new zoom on the camera and the whole menu system seems to runs nice a smoothly!

The one thing that stands out for me is how much faster the internet works on the 3Gs. I have yet to test my wifi at home which I am sure will be faster too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

possible battery issues related to wifi not disconnecting during standby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Yikes-the UI and web seem to be running nice and snappily!

I'm also liking the folders. I'll mess
    around with it for the day and see if anything else strikes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I really like the folders and the multitasking. It really cleans up the interface. The geotagging on the photos is a nice touch as well! They are back dated!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I really like the folders and the multitasking. It really cleans up the interface. The geotagging on the photos is a nice touch as well! They are back dated!!

Yeah.. how is it back dated anyway? It's a tad off with some... but has it been keeping a log of my movements all this time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3G is not playing nicely with Cydia after JB with Redsn0w. Will restore and try again.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I lost all my SMS messages when I updated. Not impressed :(

Does anyone have a list of features that are not on the 3G? So far I've noticed the following:

1. Home Screen backgrounds
    2. Multitasking
    3. iBooks
    4. Creating Playlists

I'm sure there's plenty more (including hardware related stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

iBooks are there. Just download the app.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

LFCFan wrote: »
    I lost all my SMS messages when I updated. Not impressed :(

Does anyone have a list of features that are not on the 3G? So far I've noticed the following:

1. Home Screen backgrounds
    2. Multitasking
    3. iBooks
    4. Creating Playlists

I'm sure there's plenty more (including hardware related stuff)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/iphone-3g-ios-4-and-you-whats-missing-spoiler-multitaski/

Multitasking: this is the big one. Double-tapping the home button doesn't give you the handy menu, there's no fast app switching, and background use is missing in action.
    Screen lock: normally in the multitasking menu (which isn't available on 3G), it's nowhere to be found, even under Settings. Bummer.
    Home screen wallpaper: you'd think this simple addition would make the cut, but sadly no. The dock has been given a visual upgrade, though.
    Bluetooth Keyboard support: we haven't tried this ourselves, but an influx of reports from Twitter suggest this is also a no-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

can you get any books tho, all i see are free ones?

also has anyone else lost data access over 3g now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Think I'll be leaving this update off my 3G, by most accounts of what I've read online it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

I've been using Bite SMS for a while before the upgrade to OS4.0 so I cant remember but is the red lines under a "misspelt" word in messaging a new feature? Its pretty annoying tbh. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

Quick question about threaded email. Ive used gmail sync (via exchange) on my iphone for the last year without problem. Is threaded email supposed to work with this gmail set up? Cause all my emails are there in the normal way (ie single emails in order of time recieved), and yes the threaded option is selected in the settings. They should be threaded right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Downloaded and installed GM on 3Gs last Friday (patience is not a virtue with which I was blessed where technology was involved). Seems to zip along nicely.

Folders : This is the first thing I used, and it is good (down to 2 screens from 6 for apps).
    Menus, scrolling: Navigating around the home screen is noticably zippier.
    Multitasking / quick switching : It's nice and will improve as Developers upgrade their apps with the new APIs. I have a niggling suspicion though that it might cost in terms of battery usage, or data usage (e.g. mail app in the background, polls mail server uses power and data; If I don't want that to happen - PAYG customer - I don't think there's a way other than to forcibly end the mail app when I'm not in a WiFi zone).
    Photos: I like the new GeoTagging feature, and the fact that it was backdated. It's ok that a few are a couple of hundred yards out. I can live with that.
    Camera: The Digital zoom is a nice feature, but pointless on a 3MP camera. It just gets grainy - easier to take the picture and crop it later for more or less the same effect.
    Video: The tap to focus is a really nice addition.

Something I didn't like is that the options to enable / disable Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. are all still hidden three menus down in the General Settings menu. They're something that you mainly just want to switch on or off quickly and I generally just leave BT off because I can't be bothered, and it's not that often I need the car kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Cyrus wrote: »
    can you get any books tho, all i see are free ones?

also has anyone else lost data access over 3g now??

Data over 3G is working fine for me.

No paid books that I can find yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Maybe they haven't got the rights sorted out yet, but if that's the case, at least they didn't hold off in offering the store over here at all, they way they did with the iTunes store (for both music, and until very recently, movies). Free books is better than no books, IMHO.

My 3G data isn't working on 3GS now either...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

giveth wrote: »
    Is anyone else having apps crash after the upgrade? For example, my speedtest app crashes every time just after launching...
    Same for some other apps aswell.
    My favourite World Cup app crashes all the time now.

Other than that, all good on my 3GS.

Did a full restore, and set up from new. My backup was going to take 4 years so I just manually backed up my photos/videos, synced a load of stuff and went for it.

Really zipping along nicely. Do find multitasking a bit confusing though - never sure when I'm shutting down an app or "freezing" it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

All good on my 3GS too, My issues with apps yet, though I only have maybe 20 on my iPhone, I assumed alot of apps would be updated before or during the day of the release to allow use of the 7 new apis, but very few do.. Facebook does.

Also my iPhones been running on battery since 3am with wi-fi on and push emails, till 9am and then quite abit of use during the days, browsing, apps, texts, mostly over wi-fi.

I still have 66% left, Is that good?

Dades wrote: »
    My favourite World Cup app crashes all the time now.

Other than that, all good on my 3GS.

Did a full restore, and set up from new. My backup was going to take 4 years so I just manually backed up my photos/videos, synced a load of stuff and went for it.

Really zipping along nicely. Do find multitasking a bit confusing though - never sure when I'm shutting down an app or "freezing" it.

For the world cup app all you need to do is update it and it will e fine......

Only problem im having is that when i try see the places where my pictures were taken the map wont come up??? When i go into maps its fine but when i go through the photo app it wont work???

Anyone else???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

So..next question..

How do I downgrade to 3.1.3..?

For the world cup app all you need to do is update it and it will e fine......
    Cheers it's not crashing anymore! (Although the display is still a bit screwed up... can live with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

3GS here

Phone is nice and snappy

Only 2 issues I have encountered

The camera decided to have a red haze on it. I had to reboot the phone to get rid of it.

3G appears not to work anymore for me. O2 network. I believe I'm not the only one

If you go into your Cellular data settings you'll probably see that your APN is blank.

Setting this to "internet" will get you going again.

Just waiting for confirmation from a mod on the talk2o2 website that this is the correct appraoch.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If you go into your Cellular data settings you'll probably see that your APN is blank.

Setting this to "internet" will get you going again.

Just waiting for confirmation from a mod on the talk2o2 website that this is the correct appraoch.

Confirmed by Daryll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Cheers guys

• Advertisement

Is everyone places working in their photos app???? The red pins are coming up but no map???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Is everyone places working in their photos app???? The red pins are coming up but no map???

The maps working for me but the location is off - I took pictures last night after upgrading at home and they appear as 3+ miles away. Even the old photos geotagged correctly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Is anyone else having trouble with their Wifi connection since the update? If I check the Wifi settings it says I'm connected to my base station but there's no icon in the status bar and it's not using Wifi when using Safari etc. The icon pops up the odd time but goes away just as quick. Really annoying. Also, I don't see the character count when typing a text message despite setting it to on in my settings. I'm beginning to think I've got a dodgy install :(

Same here. The maps seem to be very slow to download. I'm getting the European map (I have photos from Ireland, UK and Spain), but I'm just getting the grey grid if I zoom in. Remember, it's using Google Maps, so the maps aren't stored locally. That said, the Maps app is having no problem downloading the (same) maps, so it looks like a Photos issue.

LFCFan wrote: »
    Also, I don't see the character count when typing a text message despite setting it to on in my settings.

Not sure about the rest of your issues, but the SMS character count only shows up after 26 characters, so type a bit more and see if you see it. I thought I didn't have it too when I first looked for it, but I was just typying messages that were too short.

Actually this is what I'm getting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I upgraded last night - took a while for contacts to sync again with gmail. All working fine now including email over wifi.

Have to say it is a nice piece of upgrade. Battery life has deteriorated but I reckon they will fix this

My geotagging map loads fine over wi-fi!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭McMalley

This is probably a stupid question, but does the amount of stuff you had on it in the first place determine how long the restore takes? Mine has been going ages and don't know whether it's frozen (no error messages yet) or is just taking ages. Had about 22gb of stuff on my 3GS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

confused ...im trying to check that my cellular settings are still intact after the upgrade, but i cannot seem to find where these are in the menu.

it should in in settings / general / network / ??
    only options are to enable/disable 3g, cellular data and roaming

does anyone know where i view them

thanks

eirlink wrote: »
    confused ...im trying to check that my cellular settings are still intact after the upgrade, but i cannot seem to find where these are in the menu.

it should in in settings / general / network / ??
    only options are to enable/disable 3g, cellular data and roaming

does anyone know where i view them

thanks

It seems carrier setting are either automatically configured or automatically updated in iOS4, I used to have full control of the connection I used but when I installed the carrier update I lost that, Which require a reinstall of 3.1.3, Since updating to iOS4 I haven't been prompted and the carrier settings have been installed giving the user no control over them.

Yes, you were looking in the right place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement