Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS4 update Today: Download Released @6:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

thanks ricky91t
    very strange. just hope the right apn is in there or else :eek:

mines factory unlocked, so im wondering if this option becomes visable when / if sim is changed?
    i dont have another network sim to find out....anyone?

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Definatly noticing some sticking/lagging here after upgrading my 3G

interesting ( from apple support )

" Additional Information

You cannot change the information in the Cellular Data Network screen unless you have an authorized, unlocked iPhone or your carrier allows editing the APN settings."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

can anyone with a jailbroken 3gs confirm that they have lost all data connections?

i ugraded last night and today even thous i have 3g signal/wifi i cant connect to anything. also my voice mail is gone, photos in the library are blurred and no sms count. it seems to be common with jailbroken phones and i understand a full restore without backup fixes it. i'm about to restore from backup first though as i dont want to lose some stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

eirlink wrote: »
    thanks ricky91t
    very strange. just hope the right apn is in there or else :eek:

mines factory unlocked, so im wondering if this option becomes visable when / if sim is changed?
    i dont have another network sim to find out....anyone?

thanks again

I have an unlocked 3G and I can still access cellular data settings..

Screenshot2010-06-22at193210.png

user in uk has this screen after update...notice the "Cellular Data Network " option?
    wonder why this is. It must be that some carriers push out the apn settings and this hides this option.

My 3g connection is working BTW, just so curious to view the APN settings incase theve changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

have downloaded it to my computer but before I could sync with phone the message processing 20100611072023.ma comes up and the computer freezes any ideas folks

copacetic wrote: »
    I have an unlocked 3G and I can still access cellular data settings..

mines a 3gs. must be why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

eirlink wrote: »
    Screenshot2010-06-22at193210.png

user in uk has this screen after update...notice the "Cellular Data Network " option?
    wonder why this is. It must be that some carriers push out the apn settings and this hides this option.

My 3g connection is working BTW, just so curious to view the APN settings incase theve changed

I have that too on my 3GS, not sure if it was there before.

ok, but in the screenshot above, its missing "Internet Tethering "
    do you have that above VPN ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Here's mine on a 3Gs on vodafone, Uploaded via vodafone network to check it's working :pac:

4725300392_8b59559533.jpg

Edit: Oh crap, It seems the data is now connecting through vodafone live instead of isp.vodafone.ie.. I've lost 70 cent since yesterday evening and have only sent free texts and used free calls...

I'm gonna' have to change that!

I've just disabled cellular data, vodafone live charge €1 a megabyte!! Where as isp.vodafone.ie charge 2c it seems :eek:

same as mine ricky...dunno whats goin on here TBH !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

AFAIK carrier updates prevent you changing settings as described.

I am on 3.1.2 and allowed carrier updates and lost the ability to mod my cellular data, I had to do a file restore and point to my 3.1.2 firmware to restore without the stupid settings.

I don't think the OS4 will make those changes

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The official Vodafone IE carrier file never allowed access to the cell data menu to change APNs even in v3. Version 7 of the carrier file comes as part of IOS4 thus there's no way to change it right now. I'm sure it won't be long before an edited carrier file comes available somewhere, assuming the structure is the same. If someone has a jailbroken device they could extract the genuine carrier file from it and add the 'AllowEDGEEditing' setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Vodafone doesn't let you change the carrier settings. You need to turn cellular data to off if you don't want to use it.

am on 3.1.2, do I need to upgrade to 3.1.3 first?

Itunes is telling me that a new version 3.1.3 is available , no mention of 4.0

Szondi wrote: »
    am on 3.1.2, do I need to upgrade to 3.1.3 first?

Itunes is telling me that a new version 3.1.3 is available , no mention of 4.0

You need iTunes 9.2 to get 4.0

bkehoe wrote: »
    The official Vodafone IE carrier file never allowed access to the cell data menu to change APNs even in v3. Version 7 of the carrier file comes as part of IOS4 thus there's no way to change it right now. I'm sure it won't be long before an edited carrier file comes available somewhere, assuming the structure is the same. If someone has a jailbroken device they could extract the genuine carrier file from it and add the 'AllowEDGEEditing' setting.

Why would Apple download carrier settings with OS 4

My 3GS is SIM free Factory Unlocked, I don't want the vodafone carrier settings, will installing OS4 also install the Vodafone carrier settings

Why would Apple download carrier settings with OS 4

My 3GS is SIM free Factory Unlocked, I don't want the vodafone carrier settings, will installing OS4 also install the Vodafone carrier settings

Are you not on Vodafone?

• Advertisement

thanks bkehoe
    just checked in "about " in settings and i have vodafone IE 7.0 as my carrier.
    you reckon the correct APN is in there ? as i was just curious

thanks again.

photouw.png

That's mine as it currently is now. 32GB 3GS on O2.

It is using the Live APN for on-device browsing and the 'Office' APN for Tethering in the Version 7 carrier file..

mad muffin wrote: »
    Are you not on Vodafone?

I am but not a contract iphone from them.Have SIm and data package but its not their phone not bought from Voda).

Itunes does prompt me for carrier updates but I ignore.

photouw.png

That's mine as it currently is now. 32GB 3GS on O2.

So you can modify the cellular data and MMS settings with OS4

Oh, Real racing have released an update!
    UPDATED FOR iPHONE 4 and iOS 4!

- Gorgeous new graphics perfect for showing off the Retina display with high resolution textures, more detailed car interiors, improved track graphics, beautifully updated menus and exceptionally smooth graphical performance on iPhone 4

- Even more responsive and accurate controls on iPhone 4, with three-axis gyro support in addition to accelerometer

- Smoother graphics on iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3 with iOS4 anti-aliasing

- Support for iOS4 multitasking on compatible devices: switch effortlessly between your favourite apps

- Various minor fixes and improvements

• Advertisement

I am but not a contract iphone from them.Have SIm and data package but its not their phone not bought from Voda).

Itunes does prompt me for carrier updates but I ignore.

It has nothing to do with your phone. You are on their network and thats the way they have decided to do things.

You need iTunes 9.2 to get 4.0

Thanx :D

It has nothing to do with your phone. You are on their network and thats the way they have decided to do things.

Bugga.....

If one gets a Iphone4 from say Italy, then it will have OS4 installed and then no problems ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

phutyle wrote: »
    Same here. The maps seem to be very slow to download. I'm getting the European map (I have photos from Ireland, UK and Spain), but I'm just getting the grey grid if I zoom in. Remember, it's using Google Maps, so the maps aren't stored locally. That said, the Maps app is having no problem downloading the (same) maps, so it looks like a Photos issue.

I'm having the exact same issues. Anybody got an idea why? Would be a great function if it was working.

It is using the Live APN for on-device browsing and the 'Office' APN for Tethering in the Version 7 carrier file..

Honestly, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

im going back to 3.1.3 and my jailbreak, too many issues and non compatible apps
    and i miss sbsettings too much...

Bugga.....

If one gets a Iphone4 from say Italy, then it will have OS4 installed and then no problems ?

No because as soon as you sync it, it will install the Vodafone carrier file.

Now if you sync it with say an O2 sim and then put your Vodafone sim in, it may be a way to circumvent around that issue, but I don't know.

So you can modify the cellular data and MMS settings with OS4

photo1c.png

Yep, seem to be able to alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

i installed the gm over the weekend but was having a few problems so updateded again this evening
    4bfd3959.jpg

Honestly, I don't know.

Well honestly I do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

having a strange problem with the ipod on the 3gs 32 gig. every time i click on it, it opens up, works for two seconds and then shuts down. haven't been able to play a song all night.

when i updated, none of my podcasts were on my ipod, but it still worked fine. then i went to download one, and that downloaded fine, but it was then the ipod started closing on me.

dunno what's going on and it is WRECKING my head

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Roar wrote: »
    having a strange problem with the ipod on the 3gs 32 gig. every time i click on it, it opens up, works for two seconds and then shuts down. haven't been able to play a song all night.

any ideas?

This exact thing happened me after it had been working. I ended up having to restore all the way back and go again.

Works fine since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,403 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ibooks looks a good ap but needs more books available.

I dowloaded the update and have been messing around and then saw ibooks and sweet mother of divine I'm like a child at ****ing christmas. And ya could have more books but give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Roar wrote: »

when i updated, none of my podcasts were on my ipod, but it still worked fine. then i went to download one, and that downloaded fine, but it was then the ipod started closing on me.

dunno what's going on and it is WRECKING my head

any ideas?

You just need to resync your music. No restore needed. Happened to my sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Does anyone know how the Birthday Calendar works. I seem to have just the one general calendar with no way to move to a seperate birthday calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the Birthday Calendar works. I seem to have just the one general calendar with no way to move to a seperate birthday calendar.

add a birthday for a contact, the bday calendar fills you calendar from contact info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

copacetic wrote: »
    add a birthday for a contact, the bday calendar fills you calendar from contact info.

Ah ok. thanks. but is there a way to add an entry directly to Birthday Calendar without having to enter it through contacts . my two year old nephew doesn't have a mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone else having a problem with the RTE app?

It starts fine but when I hit the tab for Sport, Business or Entertainment it immediately crashed.

Have deleted and reinstalled it twice but to no avail.

Any ideas?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone else having a problem with the RTE app?

It starts fine but when I hit the tab for Sport, Business or Entertainment it immediately crashed.

Have deleted and reinstalled it twice but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Hey,

Check here you're not the only one! :)

Christ I'm lost when I connect my phone it automatically backs it up so when it gets to "syncing mail accounts" a pop up appears titled adding files which reads " processing:20100611072023.mda then the page freezes can't close it or nothing have to shut down the computer to get rid of it. how do I get round this problem

sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

The battery is a lot better after updating through iTunes. Was fully charged at 10 last night with everything turned on. Wifi 3G etc. It's now at 80% so pretty pleased with that

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

updated last night and having the same problems as above RTE app...etc,
    I also lost all my contacts. is there any way of getting them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Did you not do a backup before you updated/restored?

Again, the fault with the RTE app is due to RTE, not Apple RTE have had a few weeks to test and update their app. Unless the app is being held up in approvals, it's not Apples fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

chrislad wrote: »
    Did you not do a backup before you updated/restored?

Again, the fault with the RTE app is due to RTE, not Apple RTE have had a few weeks to test and update their app. Unless the app is being held up in approvals, it's not Apples fault.

I updated two iPhone 3G's to iO4, one brought the music purchased on the iPhone and photos, the other didn't...

Anybody any idea how to restore from the backup file for the iPhone that didn't carry across the music/photos. Some photos, all contacts and all other music were restored perfectly.

Advertisement