Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crit Race - Stephen Roche GP Wednesday 23

• 21-06-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Just to tell you all know that the Stephen Roche GP are on this Wednesday in Dundrum ( MeadowMount ) - Held by Orwell Wheelers.

Dan Martin will probably be there.

Jr Race at 7PM and Sr Races at 7:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 keno111

Crit champs in the calendar for July 15th

has there been a change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

My Mistake it s not the nat champ this year ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yes, I was told (full disclosure - this conversation was in a pub and should be treated as such) that this is open to all cats. No cobbles though.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Yes, I was told (full disclosure - this conversation was in a pub and should be treated as such) that this is open to all cats. No cobbles though.

All categories welcome. A3/A4 will have a handicap on the A1/A2 riders

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

All categories welcome. A3/A4 will have a handicap on the A1/A2 riders

30 second's though...........

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    30 second's though...........

that's almost 2 laps :P of Stephen Roche's mammy front garden circuit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I don't think running this as a handicap race is too clever, especially the week of the Nationals. It'll be absolute carnage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

I don't think running this as a handicap race is too clever, especially the week of the Nationals. It'll be absolute carnage!

It's usually a handicap and usually on the week of the nationals. There was no handicap last year because it was a national championship event.

The Crunch wrote: »
    It's usually a handicap and usually on the week of the nationals. There was no handicap last year because it was a national championship event.

Oh sorry, I thought they'd scrapped it altogether after Lavery rode around to the back of scratch a couple of years ago.

Oh sorry, I thought they'd scrapped it altogether after Lavery rode around to the back of scratch a couple of years ago.

Yeah, that was a good one! I'd love to know what his standing start kilo time was. He was certainly well warmed up for the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

What are the chances of Nicholas Roche showing up (or his oul'fella for that matter)?

The nationals are at the weekend, so they might be around for that although I think I heard Nico Roche wasn't racing the nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Said in an interview that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Well there were those banging on about how the city centre crit was going to be carnage and it wasn't....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Well there were those banging on about how the city centre crit was going to be carnage and it wasn't....

Much to our collective disappointment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

The nationals are at the weekend, so they might be around for that although I think I heard Nico Roche wasn't racing the nationals.

According to this interview he's mad keen!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

According to this interview he's mad keen!

I'd say he is. Must be great motivation to be able to wear the irish national gear for another year rather than that manky AG2R gear

I didn't hear anyone mention carnage at the city centre crits.

A field limited to 50 experienced bike handlers is an entirely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Can anyone explain to me how a crit works, for example I know the one in town was one hour + 5 laps....but what if the winner is lapping the field, he then has more work put in during that hour. Is he some how compensated for this by doing less than 5 laps?

This has been annoying me with awhile now so anyone that can clear it up I'd appreciate it, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

keano007 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how a crit works, for example I know the one in town was one hour + 5 laps....but what if the winner is lapping the field, he then has more work put in during that hour. Is he some how compensated for this by doing less than 5 laps?

This has been annoying me with awhile now so anyone that can clear it up I'd appreciate it, thanks!

His compensation is that he wins. The pack can also get compensated if they are lapped: one less lap to race. Usually.

BTW: I have never heard of a handicapped crit. I hope the organizers have a good liability policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dave2pvd wrote: »
    His compensation is that he wins. The pack can also get compensated if they are lapped: one less lap to race. Usually.

BTW: I have never heard of a handicapped crit. I hope the organizers have a good liability policy.

Almost all the phoenix park crits were handicapped and worked out ok.

I suspect the turnout from A3/4 riders will be limited (unless the €10 is really burning a hole in their pockets...)

I suspect the turnout from A3/4 riders will be limited (unless the €10 is really burning a hole in their pockets...)

Prizes for first two unplaced A2/A3/A4 and six primes so something for everyone to go for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

But aren't the park races on more wide-open roads? IIRC, the Meadowmount course is pretty tight, with at least 1 fairly sharp turn (last one?).

It's been a while since I watched the SRGP. Back in the Sheehan/Dalby days. Can't recall whether Dalby wore the coconut helmet or the swastika one that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

So the general consensus is that you'd have to be nuts to do this if you are an A4'er?

Diarmuid wrote: »
    So the general consensus is that you'd have to be nuts to do this if you are an A4'er?

Not nuts just expect a very short race.....

God, no! Especially someone with your legs. You'll be on for an envelope. There's also a prize for first Orwell rider.

Now, if I could just get my dodgy knee sorted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

am going to spin out to watch this, wheres the start finish ?

From the OP, I guess here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

Any results from tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Good craic there tonight - Daniel Martin was there but only to wave the flag at the end of the Underage race unfortunately.

Sully was clearly the strongest on the night - proof of which was the fact he had time to pull a cheesey grin for me as he took a corner at speed - only problem is my piece of s**t camera didn't catch it properly :mad::

4728490823_0d521dbdd3.jpg

Not sure who the winner was in the end - Sully had it but put his hands up to celebrate and got pipped by a wheel length! Think it was a South Dublin CC rider called Reddan or something but thats just a guess, anyway, some blurry pics here - getting a proper camera asap!

I took lots of photos I will put up later when I have time. I have the feeling they'r all sh!t though. I was marshalling a very quiet road ... Kids attempted to steal my fixie too, right in front of me ... lol - I think I was smarter when I was 10...

Mick Reddan won it by a tire width. I think he was on the Leinster team at the Halfords Crit on Saturday. I rode it too. Fast and hard. Was in a break for about 4 or 5 laps but when the A2's came through the A4/A3 group behind us, our days were numbered. Finished in the main bunch.

Nice one Tackle

Are you opening a shop soon?

any location yet? or even general area?

Nice one Tackle

Are you opening a shop soon?

any location yet? or even general area?

Hey Slideshow,

Thanks - unfortunately they're all blurry foto's tho!

Yeah I'm working on a new shop called FitzCycles.ie (hope thats ok to say? I'll take it down if its a problem!)

I'm just finalising the lease at the moment so can't give specifics till it's all signed and sealed but it will be quite close to the N11 in South Dublin, near enough town and close to the M50.

I think it'll be a great shop - the unit itself is very spacious and has loads of character and I've lots of very cool new brands to Ireland at fair prices. The core idea is that it will be the next generation of bike shop - how faffy is that?!!

The online store should go live in a couple of weeks and then shortly after once the shop is fitted out with all the trimmings I'd be proud to welcome everyone in for a free cuppa and pastry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Best of luck Tackleberry

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

D'oh
    In the dash to the line O'Sullivan was acknowledging the applause of the crowd who were cheering madly, but Redden did not see things in the same respective as Stephen and kept his eyes focussed on the end line. Mike came trough virtually under the armpits of the crowd pleaser to take victory on the line where it counted.

srgp10-winner.jpg

Any photos online for this? There were tons of punters with cameras there...

8 laps to go... our break away was mostly working well
    srgp10-19.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

8 laps to go... our break away was mostly working well
    srgp10-19.jpg

You were doing superb, really good race! Of course, you had more support than most of the riders there.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You were doing superb, really good race! Of course, you had more support than most of the riders there.
    Great job on the rent-a-crowd Dirk!

Advertisement