Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

www.cyclesure.ie

• 21-06-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this was already posted but i have seen threads about it.

http://www.cyclesure.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Not sure if this was already posted but i have seen threads about it.

http://www.cyclesure.ie/

Just got an online quote there, two bikes to the value of €1450, quoted €131 or something similar. I thought it was p1ss poor as it doesn't take into account that I keep my bikes secure in a concrete shed, that I live outside Dublin, I used decent locks etc....... How much is insurance through CI? I think it pricey enough also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd like to see Blorg's quotation.

Initial quote of 54 euro for my 600 euro commuter including personal accident cover. Not too bad, but that is just a quote and not sure how it might change. Seeing as how bike theft is far more likely than car theft, I wonder how your premium will be affected if you have your bike stolen.

My bikes are all stored at home and my commuter is covered on the household insurance so I have no need to switch really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I got quoted 414 euro for ~5k worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

penexpers wrote: »
    I got quoted 414 euro for ~5k worth.

So basically you gotta consider whether or not in 12 years you'd have 5k worth of bikes stolen/damaged in a crash.

hmmmm - doubtful, but can you afford the one off hit if say a 2k bike needs replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I find the whole thing a little vague. What is my bike worth? I don't really know. I bought it at a discount, I've swapped around the finishing kit, followed by the groupset and now the wheels. Do I need to get someone out to assess it? Do I guess what it might be worth if I sell it now? Are deep section wheels considered "modifications"?

I mean, I'm cycling a "suped up" Ridley Orion, I think I might be a boy racer.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I find the whole thing a little vague. What is my bike worth? I don't really know. I bought it at a discount, I've swapped around the finishing kit, followed by the groupset and now the wheels. Do I need to get someone out to assess it? Do I guess what it might be worth if I sell it now? Are deep section wheels considered "modifications"?

I mean, I'm cycling a "suped up" Ridley Orion, I think I might be a boy racer.

You estimate a replacement value on it, based on the parts that are on the bike which influences how much your premium would be. Then if/when your bike gets stolen/crashed, you need to send the insurance company a valuation (usually from a bike shop) of how much it would cost to replace the bike/parts. The insurance company will then use this to process the claim and issue the cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Wow, I put in a quote there and it is over five times the price of what I am paying with my insurer at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

E 380 for my ridley excalibur ,my landrover diccovery is costing E395 thats with open driving ,bonus protection and fully comprehensive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

358.44 for my 2 steeds (not that surprising as the replacement value for the Mercian is fecking massive)... that includes competition, public liability and personal accident... not sure if it's worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Quote of just shy of €1200 to insure 2 Cervelo road bikes and a Planet X TT bike, (very) conservative cost to replace new of 5500, 2500, 2500 respectively. Also used in competition. Exactly 10 times what last years cover was.

Don't call us folks, we will call you. Useful insurance for Freds, ecomonically non-viable for the rest of us. You'd wonder why they bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Quote of just shy of €1200 to insure 2 Cervelo road bikes and a Planet X TT bike, (very) conservative cost to replace new of 5500, 2500, 2500 respectively. Also used in competition. Exactly 10 times what last years cover was.

Don't call us folks, we will call you. Useful insurance for Freds, ecomonically non-viable for the rest of us. You'd wonder why they bothered.
    Buy a nice set of wheels with the €1200 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

While you may not think it's worth it now. You should look at the bigger picture. Considering you would very quickly spend the insurance cost on bike components.... :rolleyes:

Get out of it Shapez ! Don't let the fact that you know and occassionally ride with the people involved color your perception here.

I pay 310 for 300k worth of house cover and 410 for a car covered at about 25k, yes the risk involved for the bikes is probably greater, but I can only ride one of these bikes at a time and at 1200 euro I would need to be spending my weekends jumping bikes built from petrol cans and dynamite through flaming hoops to justify the insurance cost.

Look at it this way, if I wipe out one of the bikes then I can just get a Planet X or Boardman Team Carbon for the same as the premium would cost each year, or in other words I could replace a bike at the same cost as the premium, albeit for a lesser spec. Bottom line, for racing there is probably no easy way for an insurer to make and buck and offer value I reckon.

That being said though... the way you ride a bike... I would definitely get that new Canyon insured whatever the cost ;-) Meeoowww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Look at it this way, if I wipe out one of the bikes then I can just get a Planet X or Boardman Team Carbon for the same as the premium would cost each year, or in other words I could replace a bike at the same cost as the premium, albeit for a lesser spec. Bottom line, for racing there is probably no easy way for an insurer to make and buck and offer value I reckon.

I see your point here. Yep. What about theft? While you're out on a Sunday spin and I decide to call over and "borrow" your bike collection? Your house insurance only covers up to 1k, and that's if you tell them you have a bike in the house.
    That being said though... the way you ride a bike... I would definitely get that new Canyon insured whatever the cost ;-) Meeoowww.

That's rich coming from "The Iceman" :D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

shapez wrote: »
    While you may not think it's worth it now. You should look at the bigger picture. Considering you would very quickly spend the insurance cost on bike components.... :rolleyes:
    Exactly. Why would I spend it on insurance when I can spend it on bike components?

The nature of the insurance all seems a bit too restrictive. If the bikes are stolen from your house, you need to prove that there was a forced entry. So if your bike is stolen because someone forgot to lock the shed, tough ****. You may as well not have insurance in that case - if the shed was locked, your bike wouldn't be stolen - you're insuring it specifically for those times when something goes wrong.

My bike is chained to a thick steel railing outside the front door of my house. Pretty sure this insurance company won't provide theft insurance. They quoted me about €150. My current contents cover is the same amount as that and that covers €30k worth of home contents, including an engagement ring and my bike which is locked outside the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As Beasty posted a while back, there is sense in self-insuring for everything where insurance isn't legally required, unless the loss would be crippling.

If you put away €500 a year for theft risk, what would be the odds of you being burgled in ten years, at which point you'd have €5k squirrelled away? I haven't experienced a theft from my home in 35 years of life so far. The only thefts have been casual thefts from holiday accomodation.

From what I've seen of these policies, if you have enough security to meet their requirements you're unlikely to experience a theft. No way is the average burglar in a densely populated urban area going to spin up an angle grinder in your shed at 4am.

I think if my really expensive bikes got nicked I'd replace them with cheaper ones until I've saved up replacement money. As it is they're depreciating at 30% a year or whatever, so a year or two without expensive bikes would probably save me money.

That's rich coming from "The Iceman" :D;):p

...Well played young man, you got me there :) To be fair on the worst of my slides along the tarmac this winter, I consciously left my hand on the right shifter as I slid down the road grinding my hand into mincemeat to save the rather pricey brand new Sram shifter, if I were insured I might have used that hand to protect myself. I was glad that I picked up the aluminium Cervelo for the winter to reduce my risk exposure financially after that considering that a Carbon bike broke off my back in the same crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Quote of just shy of €1200....Also used in competition. Exactly 10 times what last years cover was.

I'm in the middle of looking for bicycle insurance as a regular racer. Do you mind me asking what "last years cover" was Quigs and is it still available this year? CycleSure are quoting me around €500 so thats a no go.

I am not too worried about theft as my expensive bikes are kept securely indoors and inside a locked car at races, but more damage to them or writing them off because off crashes at races or out training.

I spent the last hour searching threads and google to find out what the best option for me is and have basically got nowhere! Has anybody actually found a policy worthwhile and effective? I heard something about Dolmen CC offering some sort of racing cover but cannot find any details! Any news about they Cycling Ireland insurance

Thanks in advance guys, i was going to start a new thread but there are already so many on the go which seem to come to no conclusion!

Also, any updates on Cipher's promise or gman2k's findings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I see your point here. Yep. What about theft? While you're out on a Sunday spin and I decide to call over and "borrow" your bike collection? Your house insurance only covers up to 1k, and that's if you tell them you have a bike in the house.

You should be able to name any bike that costs of 1k on the house insurance in which case they may pay out more than that, depending on the policy, not 100% sure.

Last years cover was about 120 for the year, covering more than one bike for racing, training and travel to/from races as well if I recall correctly. Needless to say the insurance company lost plenty of money on that or so I hear. To be fair to Cyclesure, the problem is that the probability of a payout is quite large for racers, hence the high charges. Their premium merely reflects the risk.

As far as I know, cyclesure is the only show in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Ok and was that €120 for the Cycling Ireland insurance was it? That isnt still available this year is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

With FBD you can add specific items to your home insurance. It's pretty decent cover (at least it looks like it, never had to claim)

Ok and was that €120 for the Cycling Ireland insurance was it? That isnt still available this year is it?

Nope, it lasted one year and that was the end of it. Best bet is to either race on a cheaper bike, or one with a good crash replacement policy.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    With FBD you can add specific items to your home insurance. It's pretty decent cover (at least it looks like it, never had to claim)

Wouldn't cover you for racing though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Diarmuid wrote: »

tis quite expensive. i think my quote was around 300/400 euro for two bikes, one valued at about 1k and the other at about 1600. the bikes are kept indoors and i never leave either bike anywhere unattended (the work bike is brought into work with me and the road bike is never left anywhere). none of that is taken into account. i might as well be leaving them out on the road every night. i didn't bother with the cover.

tis quite expensive. i think my quote was around 300/400 euro for two bikes, one valued at about 1k and the other at about 1600. the bikes are kept indoors and i never leave either bike anywhere unattended (the work bike is brought into work with me and the road bike is never left anywhere). none of that is taken into account. i might as well be leaving them out on the road every night. i didn't bother with the cover.

My 3 bikes valued at 4k were only about 100 euro to add onto an existing FBD home insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Wouldn't cover you for racing though?

probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

seamus wrote: »
    ..... If the bikes are stolen from your house, you need to prove that there was a forced entry. .....

Your normal home contents insurance will cover your goods if it was kept in the 'house' (so, in the garage at least). Because the insurance company knows that burgulars can get in to your home without signs of forced entry.

My 3 bikes valued at 4k were only about 100 euro to add onto an existing FBD home insurance policy.

strange. have house insurance with FBD for about five years now and car insurance as well. is your quote nearly up for renewal ? perhaps it has gone up - i only got my quote about a month ago.

• Advertisement

strange. have house insurance with FBD for about five years now and car insurance as well. is your quote nearly up for renewal ? perhaps it has gone up - i only got my quote about a month ago.

Renewed in April of this year.

Renewed in April of this year.

thanks for the info. surprised they tried to screw me because i've always found them a pleasure to deal with:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Esmimyst

I read the whole thread and it looks like everyone has a home insurance. But what about those, like me, who are renting a room and can't apply for home insurance?

I want to be able to insure my bike because I'm going to use it all the time, when I'm out shopping or when I need to leave my bike outside in the street for a few hours. In fact, a bike can be stolen within minutes... My quote for a 1k bike is less than €95 which less than €8/m.

Personally, I'm willing to pay this because my bike is my main mean of travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Home insurance won't touch decent bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I dunno if there is a difference between home/contents insurance, but some of mine are covered on contents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Raam wrote: »
    I dunno if there is a difference between home/contents insurance, but some of mine are covered on contents.

Explicitly included on your home insurance?
    For what value?
    Who are you insured with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tunney wrote: »
    Explicitly included on your home insurance?
    For what value?
    Who are you insured with?

Yes, can't remember, can't remember. The missus will know...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

Nope, it lasted one year and that was the end of it. Best bet is to either race on a cheaper bike, or one with a good crash replacement policy.
    Specialized do a great crash replacement, i crashed earlier in the year and they replaced my tarmac pro frame for 850 it must be worth at least 3 times that and you can always upgrade the frame to ease the pain a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

After having two bikes stolen, one recovered and an insurance pay out of only €1000 I have been thinking about this a good bit.
    Now I do have the option of upping my home insurance to cover the bikes at home.
    I do some competitive cycling so I have to have Cycling Ireland insurance anyway, so all im not covered for is out and about locking and third party.
    I cant remember how much I paid for the CI licence, but the extra house insurance cover is around 300.
    So basically I still dont know where this leaves me.

Ps: Chill.ie cover bikes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

steinone wrote: »
    After having two bikes stolen, one recovered and an insurance pay out of only €1000 I have been thinking about this a good bit.
    Now I do have the option of upping my home insurance to cover the bikes at home.
    I do some competitive cycling so I have to have Cycling Ireland insurance anyway, so all im not covered for is out and about locking and third party.
    I cant remember how much I paid for the CI licence, but the extra house insurance cover is around 300.
    So basically I still dont know where this leaves me.

Ps: Chill.ie cover bikes too.
    it still leaves you with no bike insurance, bar what your home insurers will cover, the CI licence does not give you any bike insurance even if you crash in a CI race

Advertisement