Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to catch Mackerel

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Mackerel usually arrive into Salthill?

I'm hoping to catch a few this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A thread from last year here.
    I haven't seen any yet myself.

From Google
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27903&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

mostly at the bottom of the year, usually september, recent years its been earlier in august.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Personally, and based on my dads years of fishing the Mackeral come really close into the shore when the sprats (not sure of correct term for them) do.
    This usually happens when the weather is really warm. The warmer the weather the more likely they are to be near the shore. I've seen mackeral caught close to the shore from June right through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Had a couple yesterday caught from the bay.. Will be another while yet I'd say before you see big no.s by the shore... Don't worry, first sign of them caught and there'll be a thread up:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They are in alright, few friends pulled in about a hundred between them about 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

where's a good spot to fish for them, tried NIMMO'S PIER yesterday (few other people turned up with no joy either) then walked out the causeway but found out couldn't get out to end and the sides are those hollow concrete squares so would be awkward to stand on. from shore at that stretch seems like a lot of weed too (ps complete beginner really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They're catching off the shore in Donegal anyway. Seem to be coming in very early this year.
    walked out the causeway but found out couldn't get out to end and the sides are those hollow concrete squares so would be awkward to stand on.

Do you really want to be fishing off a sewage treatment plant? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

where's a good spot to fish for them

Off the rocks between Ladies's beach and Grattan is a good spot when they're in properly.

There definately in the bay, was out in a boat last week and took home a bag of them. Mmmm barbequed mackrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Zero to report from the bow waves pier (opposite nimmos pier) Fished 3 hours before the full and 2 hours after.. very poor show, still early in the year yet though!!.. kinvara and black head are proving fruitful on the full at the minute.

:eek:
    Thanks I was wondering what the buildings on it were, hope its not too bad since seemed like fair few kids swimming in beach 100metres on the salthill side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

you'll know when they are in when the amount of tinsel tossers increases between palmers rock and across from the aquarium.

i'll be found as far away as possible fly fishing for them.. great craíc on light rod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

anyone catch any down the docks or futher out /spiddal/barna area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    anyone catch any down the docks or futher out /spiddal/barna area
    Anyone been out there lately?

Thinking on heading out soon. It's a bit of a drive so need to make sure it's worth while so the kids will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I was on the prom Monday with the doggy - there were literally hundreds of fishermen out. One guy seemed to be catching everything though :P

update they are in ok but not in massive numbers 2 weeks ago i caught a few in spiddal at low tide,also just to note early october last year i was catching 6 at a time every cast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Seems to be a bit hit and miss this year. I went as far as Spiddal and nobody catching anything, including me. None in Salthill and none around the Docks. I guess I'll have to buy some frozen ones..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

been very sporadic this year on the NW coast, June and July were good as the mackerel were following shoals of jellyfish, Aug. was poor, hopefully Sept will improve

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that you have missed them. Some guys had big catches a week ago & the inshore rush only lasts about a week or so.

Na i think the best has to come yet well i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jenny retro

i've no clue about fishing but i was down nimmos pier last night around 8.30 and there were 2 guys there with literally dozens each. I only know they were mackerel cos one guy was on the phone telling someone about them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 shadowdog

Blackhead Lighthouse rock platform is usually a productive maccy bashing site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Was down around the docks yesterday and there were lads pulling them out nearly every time they cast off. Where we were leaving they must have had close to 30 each. Do most fishers there just sell off the fish they get or freeze them at home??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Was fishing by nimos pier last night and we caugt a heap of them,people had literally 2 shopping bags full and decent sizes.
    Great fun when they are biting

Been loads around for the last few weeks. They weren't biting for me down at the docks this evening though... just swimming past the hooks, very frustrating!

Just caught 25 off nimo's pier with a spinner had to give guy beside me one too cos he was going mad not getting them with feathers

Interesting... wonder why they'd go off the feathers so quickly...

get silver feathers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

foto joe wrote: »
    Interesting... wonder why they'd go off the feathers so quickly...

It is getting darker, we have had rough weather so the visibility must be lower. Maybe they just spot a spinner more easily in cloudy water.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Any sign of the macks yet around Galway bay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Being caught from the north Clare coast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement