Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to catch Mackerel

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samuelj

anything happening around galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Only if you have a boat !

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Was out along the rocks in Salthill yesterday. I didn't catch anything but a gentleman near me caught two nice Mackerel at around 17:00 when the tide was coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr justMary was out in a friends boat last week, caught a whole bunch of 'em somewhere in the bay. (I didn't ask exactly where ... not overly thrilled with the thought of him out in that particular boat.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lenny curtin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Yeah but why catch fish in crap infested water? Just go out to Salthill, at least the water is cleaner out there
    where in salthill should i fish around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Snipped from a 2007 thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lenny curtin

Amik wrote: »
    Was out along the rocks in Salthill yesterday. I didn't catch anything but a gentleman near me caught two nice Mackerel at around 17:00 when the tide was coming in.

where in salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The rocks.

Was out at Nimmo's Pier for several hours as the tide was coming in today. The Mackerel are definitely in town (they were quite visible, loads of them) but were just not biting today. Didn't see anyone catch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just back from Nimmos Pier, and the mackeral were most certainly in. Had a great catch, and mostly good sized fish.

Great atmosphere down there tonight, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

There was a lot of people catching them in Salthill yesterday, seems to be a good few around. However having watched people catching them for about an hour I got seriously annoyed. The fish being caught were still on the small side, yet people were sticking them in buckets/bags and heading off with them.

I don't see the logic in catching small fish and not letting them go, let them grow a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Another annoyance is the amount of people that seem to catch them and keep throwing them into a bag without killing them, just letting them flap around for a while then slowly die. Only takes a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A couple of reasons for people catching and keeping small ones might be:

Bait - Mackerel are used as bait fish, for themselves and other species

Handling - isn't there something about the oil on the body of the fish - once it is handled and returned, it is likely to die from infection due to removal of the oil by being handled?
    There seems to be argument about this online, but whether actually true or not, may be a reason why some people keep all catch.

I fished beside a fella before that actually threw back the large ones... said the smaller ones were much tastier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

foto joe wrote: »
    I fished beside a fella before that actually threw back the large ones... said the smaller ones were much tastier.

Weird one. I grew up learning the opposite.

I have no idea about the oil removal killing the fish, I'll have to look it up. Just seemed unfair to me to be hauling out loads of juvenile fish just for the sake of it. I'm looking forward to when the good size shoals come in. Can anyone recommend a good tackle shop in Galway? Need to throw out a lot of the old traces I have.

I use Duffys on Mainguard Street. www.shoot.ie They tend to give good advice in there, too.

There is also Freeneys on High Street.

For tide times there's an android app called tide7. Costs about €1.38, but very good.

Fantastic evening tonight at the pier in the Claddagh (took a chance and went though the weather forecast called for heavy rain). Small, talkative group, everyone seemed to catch a fair share. Record was 30+; I reeled in 10 decent ones, including one monster!

I buy all my tackle at Corrib: http://www.corribtackle.com/

Pop into the Polish store next door for some Polish sweets to snack on while you fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Savin

Fey! wrote: »

For tide times there's an android app called tide7. Costs about €1.38, but very good.
    Free:
    http://www.sailing.ie/Racing/Tides/TidesGalway.aspx

and

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/SelectPrediction.aspx?PortID=0709 (add the hour for summer)

Savin; thanks for the tide time links. The app I mentioned was for mobiles; I couldn't find a decent free one!

I'm still wondering if the corpo will ever put a bin at the end of Nimmos pier; the amount of rubbish thrown around there ( a lot of which eventually ends up in the water) is disgusting.

I'd recommend bookmarking the Easy Tide printer-friendly page on your mobile. Simpler version which will download quick and saves the +1hr for summertime.

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0709&PredictionLength=7&DaylightSavingOffset=60&PrinterFriendly=True&HeightUnits=0&GraphSize=7

img.php?s=5&d=http%3A%2F%2Feasytide.ukho.gov.uk%2FEASYTIDE%2FEasyTide%2FShowPrediction.aspx%3FPortID%3D0709%26PredictionLength%3D7%26DaylightSavingOffset%3D60%26PrinterFriendly%3DTrue%26HeightUnits%3D0%26GraphSize%3D7

• Advertisement

I bought an app from Mobiletide for my Nokia - works really well & gives moon phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

Rocks across from mocha beans on the prom, salthill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 mankydogg

was at spiddal on tuesday the 9-8-2011 and no-one catching anything,
    anyone catching since then around galway bay

You won't catch them in Spiddal until the Sprat come in. No one is catching any near Spiddal - the water is too shallow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 mankydogg

cool i mite try somewhere else this week, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

mankydogg wrote: »
    cool i mite try somewhere else this week, any suggestions?

I've been down at Nimmo's Pier for an hour or so each of the past three days, saw very few landed. Just have to keep trying I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

they were catching em down the back of the harbour company yesterday morning,and this morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement