Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Slovenia, Wed 3pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Serbia Australia could beat the US I think

FYP ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Assuming Germany beat Ghana england will have to play Germany, Argentina, Spain/Brazil/Portugal just to make the final.

I suppose the point I am making is not to unpack your bags yet John Terry!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Cue Rooney to thank fans for their support during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"The shackles are off" Oh Gabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

lol at the lads ripping the piss out of gabby logan interviewing the england boys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought England performed well for 60/65 minutes. Not top class, but decent, high tempo, kept the ball well, and created a few chances. Then I think nerves, and maybe fatigued crept in, they weren't pressing as much high up the pitch, and weren't keeping the ball as well.

I'll reserve judgement until I see Germany v Ghana tonight, but I'd be surprised if England were to get past Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Still, they are there. Hopefully it's Germany to play them which will be a mouthwatering clash.

I was thinking that Germany might draw on purpose, so they are faced with USA instead (they might fancy that more). But I guarantee that won't happen, if they play for the draw they are risking the possibility of Serbia beating Australia and then not qualifying at all. I really can see Germany winning tonight. They'll be certainly playing as if their qualification depended on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Well they do have a chance, odds are they will be given a penalty after a handball in the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im loving the RTE stuff now lol would actually love English on BBC to see what we have to say bout them cause its the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Probably mentioned already during the game but that was an appalling pitch, worse than Wemberly which is saying something. I trust thats the last time it'll be used during this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

delighted to see the US go through and win the group. Slovenia did not deserve to go through. England move into Argentina and Spain's side of the draw and possibly could end up playing Germany in the 2nd round!

Suits me down to ground as I had plans for Saturday night but did not want to miss the game if England were playing.

Thank you Landon Donovan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

A good win for England but much harder tests lie ahead. The praising of England on BBC is way over the top! I'm glad the USA have qualified for the next stage,they were robbed against Slovenia last Friday and today again they had a perfectly good goal ruled offside in the 1st half against Algeria but it all came good in the end!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

_Bella_ wrote: »
    RTE is slamming England

Understandably so to be honest. They ended up with Defoe playing up top on his own (a role he never plays for his club), Joe Cole playing in the hole behind the striker (in a role he never plays for his club), Gerrard on the left (in the a role he never plays for his club) and Milner on the right wing (in a role that Villa rarely used him in in the last 6 months) at one stage.

There isn't a hope in hell that England are going to win this World Cup. The English public aren't being unreasonable in their expectations either. The players just looked lost of large periods of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Germany are gona pass the ball through that England team

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I haven't seen much of Slovenia but, while I feel sorry for them going out in the last seconds, the US really deserved to qualify. Bradley, Cherondolo, Donovan, Altidore all had great games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are there any English people on Boards that are watching RTE? Would love to know what they think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Im loving the RTE stuff now lol would actually love English on BBC to see what we have to say bout them cause its the truth.

It's biased tripe but we'd be the same if Ireland were playing as the 33rd team :pac:

The RTE lads are spot on. It wasn't a great England performance but it's something they can work from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RTE coverage is getting really boring

England had two-thirds possession. Could have or should have scored 4 goals against a side who only created one really good move - and all they can do is pick out the players that didn't play well as if every team isn't gonna have them in every game!

I just find them a joke at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

murpho999 wrote: »
    Are there any English people on Boards that are watching RTE? Would love to know what they think of it?

Plenty of English people on boards:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SlickRic wrote: »

Milner MOTM by the way, closely followed by Terry IMO.

Milner was very very poor up until the cross for the goal. He probably would shade it though.

I was very impressed with how Terry flung himself at the ball on a few occassions. He is an awful dick but he earned a fair bit of respect from me with the flying header to try and block a shot.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's biased tripe but we'd be the same if Ireland were playing as the 33rd team :pac:

The RTE lads are spot on. It wasn't a great England performance but it's something they can work from.

To be honest they dont excatly stick up for the Irish team when we play badly either so i dont think we would ever be as over the top as English media are.

There a joke and main reason no one wants see England win anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Laois_Man wrote: »

England had two-thirds possession. Could have or should have scored 4 goals against a side who only created one really good move - and all they can do is pick out the players that didn't play well as if every team isn't gonna have them in every game!

If you want that sort of commentary switch to BBC:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mike65 wrote: »
    Probably mentioned already during the game but that was an appalling pitch, worse than Wemberly which is saying something. I trust thats the last time it'll be used during this tournament.

Three more matches left on it - Uruguay/S. Korea, a QF and the 3rd place play-off.

Understandably so to be honest. They send up with Defoe playing up top on his own (a role he never plays for his club), Joe Cole playing in the hole behind the striker (in a role he never plays for his club), Gerrard on the left (in the a role he never plays for his club) and Milner on the right wing (in a role that Villa rarely used him in in the last 6 months) at one stage.

There isn't a hope in hell that England are going to win this World Cup. The English public aren't being unreasonable in their expectations either. The players just looked lost of large periods of the match.

Yeah but Capellos a genius *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,588 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

**** yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Since there's no match thread for the USA game I'll tell everyone that it was much better than the England game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Thank you so much for this link.........
    Best I've seen:)

No Problem!! It is actually the clearest stream i have eve watched!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Yeah but Capellos a genius *cough*

capello.jpg

Liam O wrote: »
    Since there's no match thread for the USA game I'll tell everyone that it was much better than the England game.

Always taught it would of been USA have been the best team in that group fully deserved to top group.

I hope they do well for rest the tournament cause the team and there fans bring alot to the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

IF they play Germany they will have to improve an awful lot to beat them.
    They're tough to score against though, only conceded that one dodgy goal against the US in the group - it's why Capello ignores people like Joe Cole I think, as there's more of a risk of giving away the ball and being caught out.

Not being smart but you can see a tight 0-0 or 1-1 draw going to penalties.

Sorry...but that's the third game in a row that those players have played badly so I think RTE are dead right in their criticism. It was Slovenia they were playing not Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Now that was close. That's their Cup Final right there, if Germany finish top of Group D their fecked. If they win in the Last 16, they'll probably face Argentina.

Another little plug - http://backpagefootball.com/world-cup/revived-england-progess-in-group-c/ - Comments would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Liam O wrote: »

It was a great match especially in the second half. The US could have scored a bucketful of goals, goal disallowed, hit the post and on and on.

USA for the semis. They'll beat Serbia and then the winner of Uruguay/South Korea in the quarters.

Sorry...but that's the third game in a row that those players have played badly so I think RTE are dead right in their criticism. It was Slovenia they were playing not Brazil.

And did not one single player play well? Not one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

England weren't half as bad as RTÉ made out, just telling what the average anyone but Britannia loves to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If Slovenia were anyway a half decent team or at least put in a half decent performance England would be on the way home now. No point in having all the possession and having loads of shots if you are not converting them. They have problems all over the field and i don't see the pressure of qualifying from the group stage being relieved helping them overcome a possible German fixture. The BBC was quite laughable in it's praise.

And did not one single player play well? Not one?

Heskey was brilliant when he came on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

eZe^ wrote: »
    I was thinking that Germany might draw on purpose, so they are faced with USA instead (they might fancy that more). But I guarantee that won't happen, if they play for the draw they are risking the possibility of Serbia beating Australia and then not qualifying at all. I really can see Germany winning tonight. They'll be certainly playing as if their qualification depended on it.

I was wondering about that too but like yourself I can see them playing for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hesley was brilliant when he came on!

Much better than Heskey anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I think i have just witnessed the next winners of the world cup. The three lions more like a jungle of lions gnashing and gnawing at the barbaric slovaks and managed by the collossus and gentleman John Terry, who galvanised his team with a battle cry during the week, a cry of unity against everybody trying to destroy the team especially Capello and his team and alot of the players, for all English men around the globe. As Churchill once said " Bravery knows no bounds, harbours no fear and leads to greatness. Well surly the route to the semi finals has been secured with one of the meanest defences. Et tu Rooney, the bravest of all, limbs shredded and yet the gladiator wanting more. As the five fingered Nelson said on his death bed "Sink em lads ", well there are 22 Nelsons playing with the glory the Gods and these modest of people expect little off the public only respect, adoration and the cash to buy their auto biography after they win the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Now that was close. That's their Cup Final right there, if Germany finish top of Group D their fecked. If they win in the Last 16, they'll probably face Argentina.

I don't know where the focus is on Germany..Serbia are surely favourites to top the group on head-to-head if both win..?

Rooney was the weakest link again, though one shot was well saved he could and should have done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

RTE and BBC must have been watching England play in parallel universes. Polar opposites in terms of analysis. While Dunphy was deeply unimpressed, Hodgson waxed lyrical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eamo talks alot of ****e but man he always makes me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Barry gave the ball away at least three times :cool:

Hesley was brilliant when he came on!

Well if all you can be is glib, that says it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Headshot wrote: »
    eamo talks alot of ****e but man he always makes me laugh

whats he saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Camelot wrote: »
    Barry gave the ball away at least three times :cool:

If they play Germany they will definitely be punished for that, so will Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know where the focus is on Germany..Serbia are surely favourites to top the group on head-to-head if both win..?

Both goal diff and goals scored come before head to head. And Germany are way ahead of Serbia on both counts. The only way serbia can top the group if germany also win is by scoring 3 more in winning than germany. so if germany win 2-0, serbia would have to win 5-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

2nd Round match, QF match, and 3rd place to happen in Port Elizabeth!

• Advertisement
Advertisement