Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Slovenia, Wed 3pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Times like this I wish Craig Bellamy was on the BBC/ITV panel to give his honest views on all things John Terry :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The US have played a World Cup quarter final before, with many of these players involved. I hardly think a simple group game measures up to that.

OK, The US played their biggest game for four years and for many, of their lives.

Better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Breaking News: England to wear all red strip against Slovenia tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OK, The US played their biggest game for four years and for many, of their lives.

Better?

More accurate, but that applies to every team at the World Cup, so the point is moot. The biggest game of their lives for many of that team willl be the next one, against Algeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

That_Guy wrote: »

Saw that alright ..... ridiculous really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I guess Umbro are pushing for it to be used before they're eliminated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

1mcampo1 wrote: »

Why is it ridiculous? Don't Slovenia play in a white jersey?

Fizman wrote: »

I didn't say it was ridiculous. I presume 1mcampo1 was ridiculing that the colour of their strip is somehow "breaking news".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

1mcampo1 wrote: »

Perhaps Gerrard and Rooney will think they are playing for their clubs and actually resemble world class footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd love for Capello to drop Terry.

redout wrote: »
    Perhaps Gerrard and Rooney will think they are playing for their clubs and actually resemble world class footballers.

I'm happy to clutch at any straws available :D
    I'd love for Capello to drop Terry.

I think he would if it were a qualifier, but he doesn't have that luxury at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

To be fair it doesn't really warrant itself as important news never mind breaking news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I didn't say it was ridiculous. I presume 1mcampo1 was ridiculing that the colour of their strip is somehow "breaking news".
    To be fair it doesn't really warrant itself as important news never mind breaking news.

Ah ok maybe he was touching on the fact that it isn't newsworthy, I quickly read it and assumed he thought it was ridiculous that they would play in red! The journalists over there must really be stuck for things to do when you see this kind of thing 'break' news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I really hope he plays Cole (Joe) . I'm a big fan and think he can do the business for England. Doesnt help that I never took to Lennon or SWP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

rooney only got 6 of the 34 goals they scored while qualifing , most came from midfield, a midfield that people want to see play more defensive in world cup,:eek:
    back four need to push up more, thats prob, there is huge gap between back four and midfield when lampard and gerard go foward,
    back four afraid of been caught for space,and playing deep, should be on half way line, while england are on top, which should have been for most of game against usa and algeria,
    but i see more of the same,, 0-0 or 1-1 england to go out ,
    also no one looking for ball from man on the ball, no one wants the next touch, geez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Terry has apologised for his comments
    "I went into the press conference with the intention of being honest. I was asked a question. Maybe I went too far. I have told the manager he has my total support and I would like to stress that I don't believe I have been a disruptive influence in the camp.
    "I would now like to put this episode behind me and concentrate on trying to win what is a massive game for England.
    "All I was trying to do was stress how it important it is to me to try and win the World Cup."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8753058.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

well its hardly 'BREAKING NEWS' now, is it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

_Bella_ wrote: »

lol win the WC.

Cascarino saying Rooney should be dropped and used as an impact player ?

I mean wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing it to Iniesta not playing for Spain last night (obviously unaware he was ruled out with injury)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

redout wrote: »
    Cascarino saying Rooney should be dropped and used as an impact player ?

I mean wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing it to Iniesta not playing for Spain last night (obviously unaware he was ruled out with injury)

An Imaginery injury by most accounts.

Cascarino has a point, Fergie often starts Wayne on the bench and brings him on to change the game to great effect although tomorrow isn't the time to start trying things like that.

• Advertisement

peabutler wrote: »
    An Imaginery injury by most accounts.

Cascarino has a point, Fergie often starts Wayne on the bench and brings him on to change the game to great effect although tomorrow isn't the time to start trying things like that.

Dropping Rooney tomorrow would be pure madness.

He obviously aint riding high on confidence as it is and that would just mess him up.

If anything he and England need him to score a goal to get his/their tournament up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sorry, since when does Ferguson often start games with Rooney on the bench??? Unless he's severly injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Supposedly Defoe and Rooney will start up front with Cole or Milner on the right side with Lennon dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sorry, since when does Ferguson often start games with Rooney on the bench??? Unless he's severly injured.

Yeah wtf was that about? Rooney starts like all games for us.

And dropping our best attacking player in a game we need to win is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

World Cup Fixtures:

Monday Brazil will meet Argentina in Johannesburg
    Tuesday Italy will meet Spain in Cape Town
    Wednesday England will meet France at the airport.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Boskowski wrote: »
    World Cup Fixtures:

Monday Brazil will meet Argentina in Johannesburg
    Tuesday Italy will meet Spain in Cape Town
    Wednesday England will meet France at the airport.

:pac:

:D

I just spat apple crumble on to my keyboard.

Eh I quite clearly said tomorrow isn't the time to do it. I agree often was the wrong word but Sometimes Ferguson uses Rooney to that effect unless of course he is on tip top form which he is not at the moment.

but Sometimes Ferguson uses Rooney to that effect unless of course he is on tip top form which he is not at the moment.

No. Just no. He doesnt.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    No. Just no. He doesnt.

Yes.Just yes.He does

Yes.Just yes.He does

You are honestly saying that Ferguson has left Rooney on the bench for a game (not when he's unfit) with the view of using him as an impact sub?

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    You are honestly saying that Ferguson has left Rooney on the bench for a game (not when he's unfit) with the view of using him as an impact sub?

Yes not so much last season but definetly 08/09 when his form wasn't as strong. He came on at least 5 times in 30 or so Games that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

im gonna put it out there...

ENGLAND TO STILL MAKE THE SEMIS

i know right now it seems laughable but...
    i think theyll win tomorrow, topping the group.
    from there theyll probably plat serbia
    from there should they win, theyll play the winners of korea v uruguay..

ENGLAND TO MAKE SEMIS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

ENGLAND TO MAKE SEMIS ;)
    imo, one of uruguay, south korea, usa, england, serbia will be in the semis and i think itll be england. amazingly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

imo, one of uruguay, south korea, usa, england, serbia will be in the semis and i think itll be england. amazingly
    You just quoted and replied to yourself, amazingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

3/1 for a draw looks tempting with paddypower. Surely they cant play any worse than the performance against Algeria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You just quoted and replied to yourself, amazingly.

jebus remember the last fella who did that, the memories are flooding back now. Good times :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I can see England coming through 2-1 and getting a 'small' run of form to get everyone excited and then some 'shocking' refereeing decision will knock them out to the tunes.... "we would have won it AGAIN but for the ref!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

ENGLAND TO MAKE SEMIS ;)

On current form Uruguay would beat them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tech2 wrote: »
    3/1 for a draw looks tempting with paddypower. Surely they cant play any worse than the performance against Algeria?
    they'll either be crap again or trash 'em

it all depends on slovenia..if they set up their stall play for a draw> england are out

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Guys I hear Robert Green is back training with the full squad.
    He took 3000 shots and didn't let one past him.

Cappello said "It's great we now have Robert back training with the full squad and not just Emile Heskey"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

jayteecork wrote: »
    Guys I hear Robert Green is back training with the full squad.
    He took 3000 shots and didn't let one past him.

Cappello said "It's great we now have Robert back training with the full squad and not just Emile Heskey"
    last week called, he wants his joke back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Slovenia's trick is defending so for once I hope England go through as they will at least "have a go".

3-0

Don't see Slovenia scoring.

Slovenia's defence is definitely dodgy they could have been penalised for numerous penalties against the USA, hopefully the referee will keep a close eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

We could be in for a right bore of a game today! I expect Slovenia to shut up shop and defend like their lives depend on it! I'll go for either a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 win to England,like previous posters can't see Slovenia scoring today.

fryup wrote: »
    they'll either be crap again or trash 'em

it all depends on slovenia..if they set up their stall play for a draw> england are out

That's how I see it going. Either a really disappointing draw and England go out with not so much as a whimper, or they go in half time one up and score another two or three second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Early morning rumours reckon -

James

Johnson
    Cole
    Terry
    Upson

Milner
    Lampard
    Barry
    Gerrard

Rooney
    Defoe

Xavi6 wrote: »

James

Johnson
    Cole
    Terry
    Upson

Milner
    Lampard
    Barry
    Gerrard

Rooney
    Defoe

Still no Joe Cole... what has he done to Capello?

Same thing he did to Mourinho, probably: refuse to follow instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I used to say they're great entertainment but at this stage the whole 'England this England that, John Terry, John Cole, my granny'd be a great player only for the altitude training and the shaggin' of Cheryl' is beginning to get on my nerves. Today will hopefully see an end to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's how I see it going. Either a really disappointing draw and England go out with not so much as a whimper, or they go in half time one up and score another two or three second half.

Another two or three? Someone's feeling optimistic! Slovenia arent that bad, and England aren't exactly banging goals in at the moment. I think any England fan would surely take a 1-0 and run at this stage.

Xavi6 wrote: »

James

Johnson
    Cole
    Terry
    Upson

Milner
    Lampard
    Barry
    Gerrard

Rooney
    Defoe

If true, it's still this rigid 4-4-2 setup, with the usual imbalance of Gerrard being accomodated out on the left. The only positive thing about that lineup from an England perspective would be the inclusion of Defoe, who should provide a bit of pace and spark up front. Other than that it's more of the same really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement