Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Slovenia, Wed 3pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I really hope Germany win now, it'd guarantee an outsider in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Only have 2 things to say. Thought gerrard was very good. That team is crying out for an adam johnson imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im in London at a festival for the weekend. Some laugh now if they end up having to play Germany on the Sunday night. England Germany and Paul Mc cartney :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well if all you can be is glib, that says it all!

Ah where is your sense of humour.

TBH, I cannot say that any English players shone today. They had a good start, got the goal, and then created a few chances, Rooney was unlucky to hit the post.

Then for the last half hour, they sat back, and if Slovenia had been a better attacking threat they would have punished England.

Rooney subbed after another subdued performance.
    Gerrard was anonymous for whole game.
    Lampard quiet.
    Garret Barry gave the ball away far too much and is a liability.
    Johnson, made one good block but was otherwise poor and could have been sent off.
    Milner, good for the cross in the goal but otherwise quiet. BBC man of match apparently.
    Defoe, took his goal well but did little else.

If that was a great performance, with the shackles off, as BBC are saying then why didn't they tear Slovenia, a very average team apart and win 3 or 4 nil, instead of hanging on and time wasting in the corner during injury time.
    Need I go on?

Player most deserving praise is John Terry for that block he made.

What players stood out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Who would have thought it would be Uraguay/ South Korea/ Usa/ Germany/Serbia/ Australia/ Ghana in the semis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know where the focus is on Germany..Serbia are surely favourites to top the group on head-to-head if both win..?

Goal difference comes first. If the germans win by a single goal the Serbians would have to beat the australians by at least 4 to overtake them on goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

BBC playing GENE in the montage Fcuking WIN!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,588 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FatherTed wrote: »
    It was a great match especially in the second half. The US could have scored a bucketful of goals, goal disallowed, hit the post and on and on.

USA for the semis. They'll beat Serbia and then the winner of Uruguay/South Korea in the quarters.
    Shame it won't be North Korea ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

If I were the Germans I'd play for second in the group that way they would totally avoid the argies until the final and it would piss the brits off to be put out on penos by serbia lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

England were awful and have nothing to shout about.

That Slovenian team had not got ONE good player. Their worst was actually substituted off (Kirm).

Scoring one goal against a team not even trying is dire. Slovenia had a bad defense, save for the keeper (pardon the pun), who pulled off some great saves. They had no strikers.

Typical of England to find themselves in a handy group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

To be honest they dont excatly stick up for the Irish team when we play badly either so i dont think we would ever be as over the top as English media are.

There a joke and main reason no one wants see England win anything.

I want England to do well, but the tabloids do take the shine off it. It's no coincidence that since the EASY headline in The Sun, I haven't had the same outward enthusiasm for the team. That kind of tabloid crap is an embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

lol I was watching the BBC for a bit and John Hudson said Rooney was well below average today, far from his top form at Man U, and then came the highlights.

The BBC entitled the highlights "Rooneys Day" :D

Tippex wrote: »
    If I were the Germans I'd play for second in the group that way they would totally avoid the argies until the final and it would piss the brits off to be put out on penos by serbia lol :D

Too difficult if they draw and Serbia win they are out. They have to win but then goal difference means they will probably win the group. Who knows... maybe Mexico will beat the Argies :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tippex wrote: »

They can't really play for second. If Serbia win(which is most likely) then Germany have to win or else they are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Really happy England won, if Germany top the group that will be some game on Sunday......(Well some hyped up game anyways) :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ozil is going to rip the English defence apart:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Loew, unlike some managers in this World Cup, has the winning mentality, and that German team won't fear anybody!

Can't say the same for Capello and England at this moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah but Capellos a genius *cough*

In fairness Mike, his record as a manager is second to very very very few. He is obviously an extremely talented man.

Saying that, he just seems to either be getting it very wrong with England at the moment or the players are letting him down. I suspect that it is a little bit of both but he defo hasn't taken the tough decisions that were needed in order to give England a genuine chance to win this competition.

As I said already - they ended up with Defoe playing up top on his own (a role he never plays for his club), Joe Cole playing in the hole behind the striker (in a role he never plays for his club), Gerrard on the left (in the a role he never plays for his club) and Milner on the right wing (in a role that Villa rarely used him in in the last 6 months) at one stage.

Barry
    Lampard
    Milner
    Cole
    Gerrard
    Defoe

They finished off the game by replacing Defoe with Heksey and playing him up top of his own (also in a role that he rarely plays for his club).

Barry
    Lampard
    Milner
    Cole
    Gerrard
    Heskey

There is just something very very very wrong about that when you consider the roles they play in their own clubs. Barry was the only one playing in a position that he is used to but he was accompanied by an attacking midfielder as opposed to a defensive midfielder like De Jong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

well played fabio!

toomuchfifa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah where is your sense of humour.

TBH, I cannot say that any English players shone today. They had a good start, got the goal, and then created a few chances, Rooney was unlucky to hit the post.

Then for the last half hour, they sat back, and if Slovenia had been a better attacking threat they would have punished England.

Rooney subbed after another subdued performance.
    Gerrard was anonymous for whole game.
    Lampard quiet.
    Garret Barry gave the ball away far too much and is a liability.
    Johnson, made one good block but was otherwise poor and could have been sent off.
    Milner, good for the cross in the goal but otherwise quiet. BBC man of match apparently.
    Defoe, took his goal well but did little else.

If that was a great performance, with the shackles off, as BBC are saying then why didn't they tear Slovenia, a very average team apart and win 3 or 4 nil, instead of hanging on and time wasting in the corner during injury time.
    Need I go on?

Player most deserving praise is John Terry for that block he made.

What players stood out for you?
    Think you're being very seletive in the things you pick out

I thought Rooney did OK. He was subbed because he was limping - not becasue he was subdued!

Terry does deserve praise as you say - but it's not as if the England defense was stretched alot!

milner had a great first half.

Ashley Cole did all that was asked

Dafoe finished well (even if the 'keeper didn't exactly cover himself in glory). Should have had a second

I actually thought Gerrard is doing reasonably OK for a guy who's been asked to play in a position that's alien to him.

As for your point about them not tearing Slovenia apart.
    Didn't Argentina only beat nigeria 1-0....and RTE said that was a good performane. Same when Holland beat Japan 1-0. and when Brazil beat N Korea 2-1. So if the final score is the be all and end all in judging a performance, then why not be consistent! The RTE analysis is what I am taking issue with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The RTE analysis is what I am taking issue with!

The three stooges and the RTE crew know their audience, if England were to sweep their opponents away 3-0 in the next round you know they'd still be picking holes where-ever possible. Its Paddyland punditry for Paddyland people now the smart guys (like Hamann and Souness) have left the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What can I say, Slovenia are bottlers. Why when a draw would have sufficed, did they not just put 11 men behind the ball, watch england grow frustrated and fall apart and cruise through to the next round. Some of the teams taking part in this world cup are very naive! The EASY matches are over for them! and even at that they were unconvincing, roll on the Germans,Argentinians,Spanish etc!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What can I say, Slovenia are bottlers. Why when a draw would have sufficed, did they not just put 11 men behind the ball, watch england grow frustrated and fall apart and cruise through to the next round. Some of the teams taking part in this world cup are very naive! The EASY matches are over for them! and even at that they were unconvincing, roll on the Germans,Argentinians,Spanish etc!

They didn't show much in the previous two matches either (Slovenia that is), and were actually shocking against Algeria, despite winning!

USA were superior to them in every department!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well it could be Germany next Sunday which would bring the history of pen shoot outs to life - and if they did somehow overcome the auld enemy - Argentina could be next on the horizon - mouth watering or what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The three stooges and the RTE crew know their audience, if England were to sweep their opponents away 3-0 in the next round you know they'd still be picking holes where-ever possible. Its Paddyland punditry for Paddyland people now the smart guys (like Hamann and Souness) have left the building.

Think you're giving Souness way too much credit there.
    He's the England basher along with them when he's on RTE - then he's the England cheerleader when he's over there!

Think you're being very seletive in the things you pick out

I thought Rooney did OK. He was subbed because he was limping - not becasue he was subdued!

Terry does deserve praise as you say - but it's not as if the England defense was stretched alot!

milner had a great first half.

Ashley Cole did all that was asked

Dafoe finished well (even if the 'keeper didn't exactly cover himself in glory). Should have had a second

I actually thought Gerrard is doing reasonably OK for a guy who's been asked to play in a position that's alien to him.

As for your point about them not tearing Slovenia apart.
    Didn't Argentina only beat nigeria 1-0....and RTE said that was a good performane. Same when Holland beat Japan 1-0. and when Brazil beat N Korea 2-1. So if the final score is the be all and end all in judging a performance, then why not be consistent! The RTE analysis is what I am taking issue with!

Well even in your analysis no England player was outstanding. I would strongly disagree about Rooney. Thought he was quiet. Not so sure he was limping at the end, despite reports as he did not look happy when he was taken off.

Your comparisons to Brazil and Holland are incorrect. Both games where the first games and they were both always in control of the games and won comfortably enough. This is England's third game and they should be building up their performances and they are not.
    Neither Brazil or Holland were time wasting in the 90th minute to try and hang on to a win, whereas England were. This is hardly the performance of a team that is exuding confidence and they have no chance of progressing far in this tournament unless their is a dramatic improvement in form.

I think Souness does his bashing from a position of knowledge rather than playing to the gallery, unlike Larry, Curley and Moe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I don't think Germany will have anything to fear - it was an improved performance from England but I still think Germany would beat them. When Barry gave away the ball in the corner in the second half, Slovenia broke and had a good chance, defending like that would put England in huge trouble. I haven't watched any of the analysis by RTE or BBC because it is way too biased, nothing in the middle. It might suit England going in as underdogs against Germany (if that happens), pressure would be off.

The over-optimistic muppets already talking to Alan Green!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/23/england-qualify-as-runners-up-following-defeat-of-slovenia/
    Match report. Not so optimistic as other match reports.

England were quite good in the first half but turgid in the second. I cannot understand the new-found optimism in the British media. They will not win the World Cup. They won't even be that close. They beat a very mediocre side today and their route to the final is potentially :

Germany-Argentina-Spain-Brazil

Good luck with that.

• Advertisement

RichTea wrote: »
    http://worldcupdailyblog.com/2010/06/23/england-qualify-as-runners-up-following-defeat-of-slovenia/
    Match report. Not so optimistic as other match reports.

England were quite good in the first half but turgid in the second. I cannot understand the new-found optimism in the British media. They will not win the World Cup. They won't even be that close. They beat a very mediocre side today and their route to the final is potentially :

Germany-Argentina-Spain-Brazil

Good luck with that.

Thats going with the assumption Spain top the group...!

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Thats going with the assumption Spain top the group...!

I think they will. Chile are a lovely team but I don't think they'll be able to stop Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I think Souness does his bashing from a position of knowledge rather than playing to the gallery, unlike Larry, Curley and Moe.

Larry, Curley & Moe tell it like it is....unlike the guys on bbc & itv who are friends of friends in a cosy clique too afraid to speak their mind.

England stumbled across the finish line today simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

LOL, talking about winning the world cup again on BBC news already

CiaranC wrote: »
    LOL, talking about winning the world cup again on BBC news already

It's disheartening to see such a respected broadcaster get caught up in the mire of over the top England optimism. What's changed between now and 2006? The squad is almost exactly the same, if not a little worse. Granted the manager is much improved but there's very little to be excited about if you're an England fan.

It's disheartening to see such a respected broadcaster get caught up in the mire of over the top England optimism. What's changed between now and 2006? The squad is almost exactly the same, if not a little worse. Granted the manager is much improved but there's very little to be excited about if you're an England fan.

C'mon....they just beat the mighty Slovenia by a single goal....World Cup is the bag!

If it were to come to a peno shootout between Germany and England, Germany have never lost a world cup penalty shootout, they have only missed 2 penalties in world cup history, one against Serbia several days ago. England & Italy have lost the largest amount of world cup penaty shootouts (3 times)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Ok I havent read any of the comments in this thread but am I going mad or were England actually pretty damn poor today? Listening to Gabbys interviews, the bbc pundits talking its like they were some sort of magnificent beast today!??

They were very average against a very poor side. Rooney was terrible and bar the goal defoe got he didnt get a touch.

The RTE lads for as bad as they can be at times with the stuff they come out with were actually laughing at Gabbys interviews with Capello and Defoe and deservedly so. She made a fool of herself.

Some lines she came out with "The shackles were off" "You have your team back" "Played with no fear" "Played with freedom again".

Im highly confused.....

joe123 wrote: »
    Ok I havent read any of the comments in this thread but am I going mad or were England actually pretty damn poor today? Listening to Gabbys interviews, the bbc pundits talking its like they were some sort of magnificent beast today!??

They were very average against a very poor side. Rooney was terrible and bar the goal defoe got he didnt get a touch.

The RTE lads for as bad as they can be at times with the stuff they come out with were actually laughing at Gabbys interviews with Capello and Defoe and deservedly so. She made a fool of herself.

Some lines she came out with "The shackles were off" "You have your team back" "Played with no fear" "Played with freedom again".

Im highly confused.....

They weren't bad in the first half but they were desperately poor in the second half. When you take into account the opposition they were playing against they were not very good at all.

I don't know how some sections of the media/fans in England are getting so overjoyed about this one. I'd let them off with it if they had played well and thrashed Slovenia or if they beat a good side like that but...no, they didn't.

• Advertisement

Joe123. Your post sums up why I want England out of this tournament ASAP! Their media really knows how to get peoples backs up. It makes me laugh, you have highly accomplished teams like Germany, who are a proven team, the last time they failed to make it to the last 8 was in the 1950's or so & thier media are probably overly pessimistic, you then have absolute underachievers i.e England, who go into every tournament mouthing off, and its based on nothing. I hope that they dont just get knocked out, but that they get humiliated in the process!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

They weren't bad in the first half but they were desperately poor in the second half. When you take into account the opposition they were playing against they were not very good at all.

I don't know how some sections of the media/fans in England are getting so overjoyed about this one. I'd let them off with it if they had played well and thrashed Slovenia or if they beat a good side like that but...no, they didn't.

I think whats making it worse is that the English media are claiming that this was a return to being a quality side. The Irish pundits called it spot on when they said for a team with so much talent in the side they were terrible.

Very strange reaction from the english media on this one :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Gabby Logan "Brilliant performace"

HAHAHA

No wonder the lads ripped her to shreds. Pathetic England performance against the might of Slovenia, scraping a win.

Slovenia, their best player Koren just released by West Brom.

Mind you I would be disappointed if I was Slovenian going out in the last minute and losing to such a poor side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

www.sourgrapes.ie

I'm loving all the bitterness. All the England haters who are crying in their beer makes this win so much sweeter.

DB10 wrote: »
    Slovenia, their best player Koren just released by West Brom.

Mind you I would be disappointed if I was Slovenian going out in the last minute and losing to such a poor side.

They may be poor, but they qualified.

Viva Les Bleus.

They may be poor, but they qualified.

Viva Les Bleus.

Haha.

Beating Slovenia 1-0, from one of the supposed best teams in the world.

If we only beat them 1-0 I would be embarrassed. But England??

How can you sleep at night?

• Advertisement

www.sourgrapes.ie

I'm loving all the bitterness. All the England haters who are crying in their beer makes this win so much sweeter.

We aren't crying just laughing at another pathetic England performance and the shambles on BBC.

All the better, get to see yous spanked by Ze Germans.

Bring on the Haters etc!

/waves flag in the front garden and gets pelted by natives...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

flag_of_england.png
    John-Terry-of-England-cel-002.jpg
    gerrardDM0609_468x390.jpg
    41086030_rooney.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

www.sourgrapes.ie

Are you serious? They are way way under par.

Qualifying just glosses over the obvious shortcomings and is ultimately just delaying the inevitable.

DB10 wrote: »
    Haha.

Beating Slovenia 1-0, from one of the supposed best teams in the world.

If we only beat them 1-0 I would be embarrassed. But England??

How can you sleep at night?

When I have trouble sleeping, I just watch re-runs of Cyprus (that mighty footballing nation) v Ireland (with their premiership stars).

I usually fall asleep laughing.

What about you, how do you sleep with all that wood on your shoulder?

• Advertisement
Advertisement