Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Slovenia, Wed 3pm RTE & BBC HD

1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DB10 wrote: »
    I seen England embarrass themselves today and not for the first time.

Still bitter?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I seen England embarrass themselves today and not for the first time.

Still bitter?

Is that the same England that won today and qualified for the next stage?

Yeah, that was deeply deeply humiliating.

You should stop now, really you should.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Is that the same England that won today and qualified for the next stage?

Yeah, that was deeply deeply humiliating.

You should stop now, really you should.

1-0 against Slovenia, have the wild celebrations stopped yet or is Capello still dancing around like an idiot I wonder?

Shows how far you have fallen, desperation goes to new levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

1-0 against Slovenia, have the wild celebrations stopped yet or is Capello still dancing around like an idiot I wonder?

While accepting that England have not performed to their potential, they turned things around today and have qualified, why shouldn't they celebrate. the pressure since the Algeria match has been intense.

They are not the only top team that have performed badly, as Irwin and Ronnie Whelan pointed out today things change when you hit the knock out stages, look at previous world cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You are still making a complete fool of yourself by the way. You have managed to get worse and that is quite the achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

You are still making a complete fool of yourself by the way. You have managed to get worse and that is quite the achievement.

Shame you continue to ignore people pointing out faults in your factually incorrect posts. Ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Shame you continue to ignore people pointing out faults in your factually incorrect posts. Ignorance.

Examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this thread has turned to sh*te.

look, England were meh, but had enough to win, as most expected.

they weren't magnificent, weren't crap. as i say, meh.

they have to play better to beat Germany. no sh*t.

on current form, Germany will win. no sh*t.

but it's a cup competition, and England have enough good players to pull out wins in a cup scenario. so they still have a chance, albeit IMO a pretty small one.

i'm pretty sure most people can see plain as day what the state of affairs is.

BBC, hilarious. RTE, just as hilarious. both as bad as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Now that was close. That's their Cup Final right there, if Germany finish top of Group D their fecked. If they win in the Last 16, they'll probably face Argentina.

Another little plug - http://backpagefootball.com/world-cup/revived-england-progess-in-group-c/ - Comments would be greatly appreciated!
    Or so we thought. The inclusion of James Milner again out on the right raised questions, but it proved to be a great move from Capello. After two terrible opening games, the reports that Milner was feeling ill must’ve been true and he has a genuine excuse for his underperformances.

This is pretty sloppy tbh, and no offence but making simple errors like this will have your readers questioning if you have even watched the games or if you're just rehashing other reports you've read.

Milner obv played no part in the game against Algeria and anyone reporting on Englands world cup so far should at least be aware of which players took to the pitch.

Questioning if he was actually ill is also a bit ridiculous to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

This is what happened:

In the first half England were the ****.

In the second half England were borderline just ****.

For some reason the RTE analysts weren't pointing this out much. England were far better in the first half, they seemed to somehow have a lot of possession in the second half and press on as well but not a quarter as much or as good chances.

In the first half they could have had 3 or 4 (OR they could have had 0 in which case they would be out), in the second half the pickings were more even... with Slovenia having lots of great chances where they nearly sent England home.

Slovenia is a very good side, they're "no mugs". They knocked out Russia and came out of a tough group. England just about got in ahead of them and deserved it.... it went according to script.

They're obviously not a crap team, they're obviously not world cup winning material. I predict they will go out next round, although they might pull off a surprise. Maybe they are about as good as Paraguay or USA. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I didn't get to see the match yesterday but I heard rooney had a horrid time I was told he was wasteful when he got the ball anyone able to add to that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I didn't get to see the match yesterday but I heard rooney had a horrid time I was told he was wasteful when he got the ball anyone able to add to that ?

Didn't look fit. Probably the only thing you could give him credit for was his little pass that set up a Steven Gerrard chance but apart from that he was dreadful.

He didn't look too pleased coming off either. Apparently Capello took him off to protect his ankle. It's a shame that a player of his calibre is not enjoying a good World Cup because of an injury sustained months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Would it be best to use Rooney in a 'super-sub' role for the Germany match? So, Capello could start with Defoe and Heskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would have thought that the idea is to start with your best players. I'm not sure that Heskey fits the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Would it be best to use Rooney in a 'super-sub' role for the Germany match? So, Capello could start with Defoe and Heskey.

:confused:

It would HAVE to be Defoe and Crouch. No two bones about it.

Heskey has shown he just cannot hack it at that level, has no touch, no speed, no skill, and holds the ball up poorly. Oh, and never scores.

Defoe gets his first start and scores. Picked.

Crouch showed in his few minutes of game time that he can hold the ball up well, win it in the air, has skill, a little bit of pace (more than Heskey anyway) and is a proven goalscorer. Picked.

Let alone tha fact that both play for the same club, and already have a decent understanding of each other.

Its a no brainer. Rooney needs to be dropped.

Problem is, it is hard to know who the best England players are right now!

Rooney has still not recovered from the injury in Munich.

I would have thought that the idea is to start with your best players. I'm not sure that Heskey fits the bill.

Take that back!

I would prefer Defoe-Crouch too, but it is clear that Capello does not really value Crouchy!

Given how injuries and suspensions inevitably happen, I think it was abit stupid not to bring a 5th forward, and probably Darren Bent should have been on the plane to South Africa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's such a big game, he will not drop Rooney if he's more than 50%.

he probably should, because it's clear he's not fit, but he won't.

at most he'll do what he did yesterday; take him off after 70 minutes.

Advertisement