Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Slovenia, Wed 3pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Oh dear, oh dear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Still no Joe Cole... what has he done to Capello?
    Ask John Terry. After saying he should be in the team there was no way Capello was picking him. It would have sent out all the wrong signals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If Capello is going to play 442 again with this team, i can see it failing.

I wouldn't mind him playing 442 if he had 2 decent wingers playing.

Starting Gerrard on the left does you out of 1, and it robs you of his best game.

They are playing too much through the middle for me, it is all a bit too compact.

My Team would be

- - - - - -James- - - - -

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Lennon Barry Lampard Cole

- - - - - Gerrard- - - - - -

- - - - - -Rooney- - - - -

James because he started the last match, and another change now, whether it be Hart ot back to Green would be a disaster for the Keeper set up.

Keeping Cole on Johnson where they were.

Dawson ahead of Upson for me, and Terry because i can't afford to drop him.

Lennon and Cole because they are the best there at the tactics i would like, get it out wide, draw the Slovenia full backs out, Give Rooney a little bit more room to operate.

Have Gerrard where he is best, Lampard coming forward for the dropdowns etc - where he is best. Barry there to do a lot of things, protecting the back 4 at times, linking up the play, and supporting the attack at times - all of which he is infinitley better than Carrick at.

I don't think we'll see anything of the sort though, close enough to the last set up, with England winning by 1 goal is all i can see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My Team would be

- - - - - -James- - - - -

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Lennon Barry Lampard Cole

- - - - - Gerrard- - - - - -

- - - - - -Rooney- - - - -

Thats my exact team also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

England should play a 4-3-3 imo. The likes of Lennon and Gerrard are useless unless they get the ball in the final third, and the current 4-4-2 has them coming far to deep to collect the ball. Drop Heskey, put Carrick in the midfield so that you can push the wide players much further up the field and England should have a bit more bite to their attack.

James
    Johnson - Upson - Terry - Cole
    Carrick ---- Barry

Lampard
    Lennon
    Gerrard
    Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If Cole doesn't play the **** will really hit the fan. Hopefully it is a fun match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Early morning rumours reckon -

James

Johnson
    Cole
    Terry
    Upson

Milner
    Lampard
    Barry
    Gerrard

Rooney
    Defoe

The early morning rumour machine needs to go back and keep hi sear to Capello's door till he mentions Joe Cole is starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

England and USA wins please.

In fact I support whatever results give USA 2nd place in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Early morning rumours reckon -

James

Johnson
    Cole
    Terry
    Upson

Milner
    Lampard
    Barry
    Gerrard

Rooney
    Defoe

That side is really lacking pace if this is to be the starting line up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If Capello is going to play 442 again with this team, i can see it failing.

I wouldn't mind him playing 442 if he had 2 decent wingers playing.

Starting Gerrard on the left does you out of 1, and it robs you of his best game.

They are playing too much through the middle for me, it is all a bit too compact.

Looking at the stats against Algeria, England had 8% of possession on the left of the midfield and 25% in the centre of midfield. (Algeria's most possession came on the centre right section of the pitch, Englands left) 2 decent wingers, staying close to the touchline would give the two strikers a small bit of space, which could make all the difference

Capello played 4-2-3-1 against Slovenia last September (won 2-1 and Slovenia have only lost one international game since), he seems to be intent on playing 4-4-2, even though the system isn't working for them, especially with Gerrard playing on the left, he is more dangerous through the centre. Slovenia will keep it as tight as possible imo, if England score, I think Slovenia will be forced to come forward, and may give England space to get another. I think Capello hinted at changing tactics, and I hope he does for Englands sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

4-4-2 can't work if you CBs cant pass the ball. Terry is ****ing awful on the ball, and Upson isnt much better. Expect them to be hoofing it forward again and again. This is especially true when one of your central midfielders isn't a central midfielder naturally, he is the furthest forward midfielder in a system of 3 in the middle. They might nick through tonight, but unless they change this system, I don't think theres much hope for them.

I'd go with

Barry-Carrick-Lampard

Despite Carrick being ****ing awful this season. Why? Because it has balance. Put Gerrard on the wings if you absolutely must, but I'd prefer Lennon and Joe Cole. I'd have prefered Adam Johnson but sure it is what it is. Play Rooney up front alone as he does for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Anyone remember this? :pac::pac::pac:

the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Taken from, the BBC website
    "The quality of England is clear. England, for me, are still a favourite to win the World Cup. But, if we play our game, I am sure we can get to the second round. It's a fight to get to the knockout phase and it is an additional motivation to play against a team that has been so big. We feel confident, we are courageous and we will be able to face up to England."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"England has-beens!" slams Cocky Kek

"England has-beens!" slams Kek

will be the headline tomorrow morning if England don't get through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hope Rooney bags hatrick but they loose 4-3.

I really have nothing against the English and would be shouting for them had they not that John Terry in the side.

I hope he at fault if England get knocked out. Cant stand anybody who can question a manager with record Capello has. Who does Terry think he is. Once prick always a prick I suppose.

I'm hoping for a solid 2 or 3 goal win to set them on the way for the rest of the tournament.

The reality is a bit more worrying. Even if they do sneak a narrow win though, it'll just help them stumble to a defeat in a roudn or two. They need to open up and give some team a proper (footballing) kicking. Today if possible.

SSN: James, Johnson, Terry, Upson, Cole, Gerrard, Barry, Lampard, Milner, Rooney, Defoe

redout wrote: »
    SSN: James, Johnson, Terry, Upson, Cole, Gerrard, Barry, Lampard, Milner, Rooney, Defoe

Only one Cole :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

redout wrote: »

4 centre mids?

Ian_K wrote: »
    4 centre mids?

Sky said Milner on the right.

Presume Gerrard reamins on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ian_K wrote: »
    4 centre mids?

See, Capello is a great manager who is not stubborn and can learn from the past and his own mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

England to loose 3-1 and Capello to resign by 9pm tonight please.

Is that 4-4-2 or will Capello play 4-3-1-2, with Gerrard in behind the two strikers and Milner on the right of the midfield, the second formation would go some way to explaining 4 central midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

England to win 3-1, Rooney & Lampard to score, (possibly a Joe Cole goal too) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Is that 4-4-2 or will Capello play 4-3-1-2, with Gerrard in behind the two strikers and Milner on the right, the second formation would go some way to explaining 4 central midfielders

4-4-2 I'd reckon, Milner must have done some mighty training after his 29 minute cameo vs USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Capello? anything but 4-4-2?

you're having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Win for England, win for Australia, happy Betfair balance

SlickRic wrote: »

you're having a laugh.

It was more wishful thinking on my part! Though I hope for Englands sake that if the system isn't working, he will change it - he hinted about changing tactics, so maybe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

you're having a laugh.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Xavi - embedding of the vid is disabled. Well that's the error I am am getting.

Right click on the video and choose watch on youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I'm gonna go with a 2-0 win for England. The goals won't come until at least the 70th min though and i feel they will come in quick succession...England absolutely have to win this match. I cannot see them performing as badly as against Algeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No left sider then? Does crapello realise a football pitch has a left side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Again Ashley Cole will be left vunerable with two people on one on the left side, Slovenia could really exploit them there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

no doubt the people here predicting an England win are the same that predicted they would beat the US and Algeria, and are probably crazy enough to believe England can win the World Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Idbatterim wrote: »
    no doubt the people here predicting an England win are the same that predicted they would beat the US and Algeria, and are probably crazy enough to believe England can win the World Cup!

nope.

i just think they've enough about them to get out one performance good enough, to beat Slovenia (not Brazil, Germany, Spain, even Chile or Mexico), to get to the knockout stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Unreal is'nt it. I've seen nothing from England that would make me think they can win today in this tournament or even in the last few years. It seems to be a good England performance is the exception to the rule. Expect the media and fans to turn on Capello big style after tonight. They alway's need a scapegoat otherwise the truth comes out that they are'nt good enough to compete at this level anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm gonna shut up tbh. I said they would beat USA, when they drew I said they would have no trouble beating Algeria and they draw again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think they'll win, but Rooney will be sent off and that'll be enough to eliminate them in the next round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

nope.

i just think they've enough about them to get out one performance good enough, to beat Slovenia (not Brazil, Germany, Spain, even Chile or Mexico), to get to the knockout stages.

I gonna try and leave my anti-England bias out and look at it purely from a footballing perspective for a change.

They are 'good enough' certainly if you define 'good enough' as 'should be good enough based on their individual strength when same players play in their big league teams'. Then they have plenty. Nobody can deny that.

But as they nearly always are they are again stuck in their anti-teamspirit arrogance pressure paralysis or whatever you wanna call it that is so unique to the English team and its environment.

Everybody who watches the same players week in week out play pretty good stuff finds it difficult not to expect them to turn the corner eventually.

However, looking at the situation they created for themselves I find it impossible to expect a miracle transformation, an explosion. The best I could expect for England is an improved but still cramped performance that allows them to advance and the self-betrayal continue until they meet a 'real' team against whom they will actually play their best match in the tournament but go out nonetheless. Seen it so many times, the writing's on the wall it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I think they'll win, but Rooney will be sent off and that'll be enough to eliminate them in the next round.

He was displaying all the signs of a very frustrated young man after the last game, I just hope he manages to keep his temper in check and puts on a decent performance today.

I predicted a draw against the U.S. I was correct. I did predict a win against Algeria and i think most people would have said that here before the world cup. We beat them 3-0 a few weeks back and we are not exactly blessed with great goal-scorers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Still no J.Cole??

Woul dbe interesting to see what Capello does should England be stirring elimantion in the face with 20 minutes to go, maybe drawing to Slovenia and the USA winning.

The amount of teams that "should" have beaten so called lesser teams at this WC and going on to draw or lose is shocking, dont think we have seen the last of the upsets just yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I really think England can struggle today. Really depends on their attitude.
    The team changes are superficial to me. Change of central defender might improve defence but won't get them goals which England have been lacking.
    Surprised at Milner being selected and after all the talk of Joe Cole he has been left out. Don't believe that Joe Cole was the answer anyway, he can't get into the Chelsea team and has been let go by them so that is good enough for me.

Main thing is that he has not really changed the tactics and is sticking with 4-4-2 that has caused them problems in the last 2 games.

I think there are too many problems in the squad to turn in a great performance and would not be surprised to see them follow France to the airport today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

teams:

Slovenia: 1-Samir Handanovic; 2-Miso Brecko, 4-Marko Suler, 5-Bostjan Cesar, 13-Bojan Jokic; 10-Valter Birsa, 8-Robert Koren, 18-Aleksandar Radosavljevic, 17-Andraz Kirm; 9-Zlatan Ljubijankic, 11-Milivoje Novakovic.

England: 1-David James; 2-Glen Johnson, 15-Matthew Upson, 6-John Terry, 3-Ashley Cole; 16-James Milner, 4-Steven Gerrard, 8-Frank Lampard, 14-Gareth Barry; 19-Jermain Defoe, 10-Wayne Rooney.

How the bookies have England 4/9 is beyond me considering how they have performed.

Is that 4-4-2 or will Capello play 4-3-1-2, with Gerrard in behind the two strikers and Milner on the right of the midfield, the second formation would go some way to explaining 4 central midfielders.

Thats basically what they just said on BBC1 4-3-1-2, Gerrard behind the two strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's possible it won't be a 4-4-2. It could be a 4-3-3, with Barry holding, Milner in the middle and Lampard at the front, with Gerrard on the left and Rooney on the right and Defoe up front. Would work better as a system imo. Doubtful though :)

A 4-3-1-2 could work maybe, with Johnson and Cole really pushing forward to provide width. It wouldnt work against a top class team, but it might beat Slovenia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

gavredking wrote: »
    Still no J.Cole??

Woul dbe interesting to see what Capello does should England be stirring elimantion in the face with 20 minutes to go, maybe drawing to Slovenia and the USA winning.

The amount of teams that "should" have beaten so called lesser teams at this WC and going on to draw or lose is shocking, dont think we have seen the last of the upsets just yet though.

It'll be crouch on and lumpy for 20 minutes i'd say

Advertisement