Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Slovenia, Wed 3pm RTE & BBC HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Can someone tell me if this game is being shown on rte online player today?
    If not, I'll have to go on the hunt for it somewhere else (pm me if someone has info)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Lineker with that grave face in the BBC montage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Interesting to see that BBC have it as a diamond formation, with Gerrard playing behind Rooney and Defoe. Everybody else has 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

jimbling wrote: »
    If not, I'll have to go on the hunt for it somewhere else (pm me if someone has info)

Yeah its being shown on rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

jimbling wrote: »

Both games will be available on the live player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lineker with that grave face in the BBC montage!

Yes...and those ears, often make me regret having a widescreen TV!

Interesting to see that BBC have it as a diamond formation, with Gerrard playing behind Rooney and Defoe. Everybody else has 4-4-2.

How do BBC know it's a diamond formation?

Whole BBC team is very positive about selection and formation, looking forward to the reality check on RTE in 8 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

If the team line up with the tactics the BBC are suggesting, then it is no doubt an attacking team,

It is still very central though, and makes it easier to defend if Slovenia are going to play that way.

If Capello is expecting Johnson and Cole to be the wingers, then god help Terry and Upson with any counter attacks.

I can't see a clean sheet, but can an England win,

2-1 England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mister men wrote: »
    Unreal is'nt it. I've seen nothing from England that would make me think they can win today in this tournament or even in the last few years. It seems to be a good England performance is the exception to the rule. Expect the media and fans to turn on Capello big style after tonight. They alway's need a scapegoat otherwise the truth comes out that they are'nt good enough to compete at this level anymore.

What utter tosh.

England 4-1 win away to Croatia.

England 2-1 win over Germany.

England 4-0 win over Slovakia.

England 5-1 win over Croatia.

England 2-1 win over Slovenia

None of those games, none of them, make you think it is possible England could beat Slovenia. None at all.

Right. What utter freaking tosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looks like a more attacking formation anyway. It looks like England should win this and USA and Algeria will have a scrappy draw. England and Slovenia to go through in that order, that's the vibe I get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Spud83 wrote: »
    Both games will be available on the live player.

Ah right, thought it was one on TV and one online. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

while i dont want to england to win the tournament, ill admit i want them to go through to the knockout stages.It keeps the tournament a lot more interesting for myself personally to be honest.Im indifferent to slovenia but my "hatred" for england keeps it more exciting.

(I dont actually hate them,I consider it a friendly rivalry, I have a lot of English mates who do my head in about the world cup)

The problem will be the exact same as Spain saw against Switzerland. Everything went down the middle which meant that the Swiss just needed a wall of players in the centre. Im not sure if the Slovenias defence is quite as up to it as they seem to foul alot but then Spain are far better then England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What utter tosh.

None of those games, none of them, make you think it is possible England could beat Slovenia. None at all.

Bit pointless though init? I mean what satisfaction are you getting out of coddling yourself into the idea they are actually good I ask myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

I dont know what the English media prefer, to win the world cup or to go out in the group stages. Lets all hope Rooney gets sent off and Slovenia get a last min winner/equaliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boskowski wrote: »
    Bit pointless though init? I mean what satisfaction are you getting out of coddling yourself into the idea they are actually good I ask myself?

he didn't say they are good.

he said they're able to beat Slovenia.

which they are.

a bit pointless you codding yourself into thinking they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If England finnish 1st in group and Germany 2nd or vica verca, they will face each other in the next round! I am salivating at the prospect!

would you ever give over. Always trying to antagonize people.

Are you honestly saying that over the last couple of years not once have England shown they can put in good performances or beat a team like Slovenia? Really, that is what you are arguing here? Because that is what my post refers to so by saying I am being an idiot with it you are arguing that a no point over the last few years have England shown they could beat Slovenia.

It is freaking rubbish imo - England are not a world class side, but that doesn't mean they are worse than Slovenia and couldn't possibly beat them based on what we have seen over the last few years.

A team that can put 9 past Croatia in two games couldn't possibly beat Slovenia. A team that beat Germany couldn't beat Slovenia. A team that put 4 past Slovakia couldn't possibly beat Slovenia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I hope they get hammered.
    that is all :)

SlickRic wrote: »
    he didn't say they are good.

he said they're able to beat Slovenia.

which they are.

a bit pointless you codding yourself into thinking they aren't.

fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Sky Sports News already discussing excuses for the England team if/when they go out.

Will be interesting to see how England line-up. If they expect Gerrard to stay wide left it could blow up in their face in spectacular style.

There is no doubt the England team are good, they have the players, it just has not worked so far in this World Cup,

They are still unbeaten,

What people might consider better teams, i.e. Spain and Germany have already lost in this World Cup.

Hope they get their act together today and deliver a big result. Capello will likely have used the last few days wisely to beat them into shape.

would you ever give over. Always trying to antagonize people.

Are you honestly saying that over the last couple of years not once have England shown they can put in good performances or beat a team like Slovenia? Really, that is what you are arguing here? Because that is what my post refers to so by saying I am being an idiot with it you are arguing that a no point over the last few years have England shown they could beat Slovenia.

It is freaking rubbish imo - England are not a world class side, but that doesn't mean they are worse than Slovenia and couldn't possibly beat them based on what we have seen over the last few years.

I'm holding my hand up, you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lennon isn't even kitted out apparently. Spotted on the bench in a suit.

John and Eamon on :D

Xavi6 wrote: »

Seems like he doesn't need width today.....

Has he picked up an injury then, or is there any word yet on why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

What utter tosh.

All that could mean, is that England once again have the Spain syndrome (pre Euro 2008), looking great in qualifiers, but not cutting it at the major tournaments.

if they win in style today - then they are contenders. If they limp through - forget it! If they can't win - self explanatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Xavi6 wrote: »

Has to be injured so, there is no way they wouldn't have him kitted out even if he was a disciplinary thing (which I doubt it would be)

• Advertisement

England to win 1-0.

Will see a cagey first half from England with Slovenia hitting the crossbar 15 times along with Gerrard & Rooney both missing open goals. Rooney in frustration headbutts the Slovenian goal keeper and gets himself sent off. No action will take place for some time as the Slovenians camp in & infront of their box, it will be the 2nd half nearing the 90th minute when out of the shadows the English Pele makes his way off the bench to come on for Defoe, as Heskey walks on the pitch he means fúcking business. Picks up a great through ball from Michael Carrick who also came on for a very tired Barry. Heskey punts it in the top corner from the centre circle and England go through. England get all the way to the final with Heskey picking up an incredible 11 goals. In the final against Spain he scores 4 goals & England win 4-0. Heskey receives a knighthood and is England's first hero in 44 years.

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ray Houghton seemed very fired up there. I reckon England to win 3-1. It's too tall an order for Slovenia.

RTE have Gerrard on wing, whist BBC have him as head of diamond. Interesting to see who is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I fine it distrubing when I agree with Dunphy's tactical analysis.

All that could mean, is that England once again have the Spain syndrome (pre Euro 2008), looking great in qualifiers, but not cutting it at the major tournaments.

if they win in style today - then they are contenders. If they limp through - forget it! If they can't win - self explanatory.

you're right and I am saying no different. I am simply saying that it is idiocy to claim that at no point in the last few years have England shown that they are capable of winning today vs Slovenia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SV wrote: »
    I hope they get hammered.
    that is all :)

I can't understand why so many people watching now will be up for Slovenia instead of wanting England to go out in the knockout stages instead. They've no chance of winning the wc so would it not be a lot better to have them in it for another 1 or 2 rounds?

Hope England win this game and think they have a decent chance, but it's ONLY so that I can savor the prospect of them getting knocked out by a team like Germany

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    RTE have Gerrard on wing, whist BBC have him as head of diamond. Interesting to see who is right.

BBC would be more likely. I reckon they would actually have reporters close to the proceedings, while RTE are simply going off the team sheet and their own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

How do BBC know it's a diamond formation?

Whole BBC team is very positive about selection and formation, looking forward to the reality check on RTE in 8 minutes.

Almost TOO positive. Non-offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A diamond formation would be an interesting one. Would love to see it deployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Greyfox wrote: »
    I can't understand why so many people watching now will be up for Slovenia instead of wanting England to go out in the knockout stages instead. They've no chance of winning the wc so would it not be a lot better to have them in it for another 1 or 2 rounds?

Hope England win this game and think they have a decent chance, but it's ONLY so that I can savor the prospect of them getting knocked out by a team like Germany

... on penalties no doubt :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

This Harry Redknapp piece is cringeworthy!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm hoping England step it up this afternoon and really BATTER 'EM!!

Don't make me regret taking a half day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I reckon this could be an exciting draw game

This Harry Redknapp piece is cringeworthy!

based on the actual line up a diamond with Gerrard at the top is the wrong way to go imo.

I would go

....................Barry
    ......Gerrard.............Milner
    .................Lampard

Gerrard is more capable of providing width (on the right) and effecting the game from there than Lampard is.

Almost TOO positive. Non-offensive.

I find the BBC analysis to be non-existant compared to RTE. Giles just did it good piece there showing how England don't get tight and chase down players. See nothing like that on Brit channels.

God, that video on the BBC just there was terrible!

Linekar should have quit rather than try introduce that with a straight face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

God, that video on the BBC just there was terrible!

Linekar should have quit rather than try introduce that with a straight face.

I'm watching on RTE. What was it if you don't mind describing it?

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm watching on RTE. What was it if you don't mind describing it?

He said something along the lines of

"sorry i must interrupt you and the build up there as we have an important breaking news story"

Then a video about an epidemic sweeping the country, basically World Cup Fever,

it was terrible!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I find the BBC analysis to be non-existant compared to RTE. Giles just did it good piece there showing how England don't get tight and chase down players. See nothing like that on Brit channels.
    You mean like they're doing right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Im not a fan of Johnny Giles as a pundit anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Diamond formation would be nice, Barry holding midfielder, Gerrard on the right, Cole on the left and Lampard in his advanced midfield position. Pity it won't happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement