Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labernese cross problem with his ears

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi we have a Labernese cross we weighs 45kg he is rehomed from Guide dogs of Ireland we have him nearly two years we have a BRILLIANT Vet who looks after him but maybe two three times a year he has to take him in and sedate him to clean his ears no WAY will he let you touch them this morning he is going around fiercely shaking his head we have had to sit on him to get his drops in and he is now very distressed has anyone else got this breed and do they have the same trouble with their dogs ears as us or are we just unfortunate with our big beautiful dog he is the same about grooming we have been asked not to bring him in again as he is too much trouble we do it ourselves now with the new hair thingy on the market would Rescue Remedy be any harm to give him before we do his care on him anyone got any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Rescue remedy probably won't do any harm, but in his case I rather doubt you'd see a dramatic improvement. You could try getting him to gradually accept having his ears moved/touched/etc by starting with barely touching them for a second and then rewarding him, then moving on to prolonged time touching/rubbing ears with reward and eventually working up to being able to look into and place meds into ears. This is a very long term process though.
    I don't think it's really a breed problem, but it's not uncommon in floppy eared, hairy dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm sorry, but what on earth is a Labernese?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ISDW wrote: »

I am guessing a cross between a Lab and a Bernese Mountain Dog, which is a cross in itself so I dunno what a Labernese cross is?!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ISDW wrote: »

Its not a breed, im guessing its a labrador crossed with a Bernese??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Labrador / Bernese mountain dog cross.

I think the idea was to breed a large assistance dog - large enough to be physically able to support the weight of someone who could need help moving to a phone if they fell over, or somesuch - I'm not being very clear, but that's the idea I get.

OP, if your dogs ears are flaring up regularly, look into the food you're feeding him and a possible connection there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 little lamb

Thanks all of you all correct with what the breed is so need to waste time on that one

yes we have been playing with his ears like you suggested since we got him as we were told by the people in Cork he had issues with VETS and personnel grooming and we understand that dogs like him can have trouble with his ears but he cant even go for a run in the bushes in the park never mind the a browse in our own garden without him coming in and have his ears give him trouble I just feel so sorry for the poor pet its what dogs do sticking their heads in bushes I wont even tell you if he gets into water and I KNOW we will be back in the Vets in the next few days and he was only in and sedated last month to get them done Thanks for the replies will try the Rescue Remedy will check it with the Vet also as he is is just as concerned as we are about always having to sedate him to do any work on him

Thanks all of you all correct with what the breed is so need to waste time on that one

yes we have been playing with his ears like you suggested since we got him as we were told by the people in Cork he had issues with VETS and personnel grooming and we understand that dogs like him can have trouble with his ears but he cant even go for a run in the bushes in the park never mind the a browse in our own garden without him coming in and have his ears give him trouble I just feel so sorry for the poor pet its what dogs do sticking their heads in bushes I wont even tell you if he gets into water and I KNOW we will be back in the Vets in the next few days and he was only in and sedated last month to get them done Thanks for the replies will try the Rescue Remedy will check it with the Vet also as he is is just as concerned as we are about always having to sedate him to do any work on him

Sorry, I don't think we were wasting time, there is no such breed, your dog is a Bernese/labrador cross, so I'm guessing that it is the Bernese in him that is causing the ear problems? If you ask the question for Bernese mountain dogs, you may get more help, as I'd say there are more people with them than there are with the particular cross you have.

Have you considered a DAP collar for him, or the DAP plug ins you can get? It might help him to calm down.

Do you ever take him to the vets when he doesn't need treatment? If you can, take him there, just give him some treats while he's there, then back out again, so that he starts to associate with nice things, not nasty things happening all the time.

Best of luck, poor guy, must drive him nuts.

My reasoning for saying not waste time was that he was in stress this morning and I was looking for a solution as fast as possible regarding the breed his paper work from UCD Vet college has him down as Labrador/Bernese hence why we say Labernese this is how he was introduce to us see the link below
    http://www.mira.ca/en/our-dogs/8/the-labernese_37.html

to all the very welcome comments

He is on an Royal Canine food Hypo-allergenic because of a skin condition he has (expensive but worth it)

Whenever he is out for his walks and we pass the Vets we take him in to say hello (loads of treats) outside of his general visits

We have played with his ears when it is not necessary at all to go near them and he gets treats so he may allow us but he will fortified the treat rather than lets us touch them

I have come up with an solutions which I'm trying out today in desperation if I think it will help I share it but for now I'm keeping it under my hat

He attends agility classes and visit doggy daycare in the DTI so if anyone has any other ideas I am willing to give it a try

He is very sociable around other dogs in Daycare and in the park and also in the doggy park all of which we attend He is with us two years this coming July and we understand it is always work in progress

My apologies if I did not explain the breed correctly or it seem that I was taking any advise offered on board and all your comments are much appreciated

He did not make the grade in the Dogs for the Blind because he is much too strong and head strong for any match they tried him with but we love him to bits all the same and are very very grateful to have been given the chance to know him

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Just a suggestion, if you have to get him sedated to have his ears cleaned, why don't you go to a vets that has a groomer as well. That way he can get his ears done and his grooming while under sedation. Less stress for him.

That is something we have consider but we have a very good working relationship with our Vet and he is always willing to see him regardless of us having an appointment so we are a little concerned about moving Vets, the groomer who has refused to take him is the TOP of her field here in Ireland Rosettes and medals galore "we don't take dogs like him" so we walked away with our tails between our legs and me with tears running down my face as we walked back to the car, we did give it ago when he was in kennels which are just Fab with him Best Kennels they got to give him a good brush which he is ok with till he has had enough as they understand that it is not good for him to be stressed so they worked with him till he said ENOUGH NOW and now the girls in DTI have their own grooming rooms and are willing to give it a try when they have him as after a day with them playing and running he will be tried and we might get lucky he gets his nails done while he is under sedation so that's good and we put lots of baby powder on him and rub it in well so he always smell BEAUTIFUL just out of curiosity anyone know a Vet and Groomer combined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

and we put lots of baby powder on him and rub it in well so he always smell BEAUTIFUL

This would be the first thing I would STOP doing if my dog had a skin condition and a problem with his ears. When your animal is having a reaction to something and you're not sure what, strip everything in its environment back to absolute basics - no powders or perfumes, no detergents or conditioners, no air fresheners, and no food with colours and preservatives.

Thanks COOOOOO we have done all that of the above believe me we are extremely responsible dog owners and have checked out just about anything that touches him our first and only priority is his comfort so thank you but none of what you mentioned above effect his skin or his ears But thank you for your comment my original questions was and is has anyone had any "issues with this breeds ears" from all the comments received and much appreciated I have to presume the answer is NO

Thank you everyone

Thanks COOOOOO we have done all that of the above believe me we are extremely responsible dog owners and have checked out just about anything that touches him our first and only priority is his comfort so thank you but none of what you mentioned above effect his skin or his ears But thank you for your comment my original questions was and is has anyone had any "issues with this breeds ears" from all the comments received and much appreciated I have to presume the answer is NO

Thank you everyone

Google Bernese Moutain Dog forums, see if you can find one, I'm sure there would be one in the uk or the USA, and there may be people on there that have had the same issues. There seem to be forums for most breeds, so hopefully you'll find one.

Best of luck.:D

Advertisement