Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan Brewing Company

• 21-06-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried these microbrews?

Always like to try a new beer, especially an Irish one. Had their Blonde Beer and Stout at the weekend. And was not impressed by either, both seemed fairly dull with some peculiar "off" flavours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Maybe you got bad bottles - any other review I've seen, and including my own experience, has been positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Had a bottle of Copper Coast (their Red Ale) last night and it was nice. 100 times better than Smithwicks anyway. Possibly a bit on the sweet side but very drinkable.

I've also had their Stout on draught and that was good also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think there have been some quality control issues on the blond and the red -- I've encountered bad bottles. Last I heard they'd got to grips with them though. If you get a bad bottle, bring it back, I guess.

But I've never had, nor heard of until now, problems with Black Rock stout. I think it's the best bottled Irish stout on the market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Have to agree that the Black Rock Stout has been flawless from the several different batches I've had bottles from - The blonde I haven't noticed any issues with either, just the red for me having some problems, with carbonation mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Had the stout last week. Delicious. Probably the best Irish stout I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Bought a Blond and a Red at the weekend, looking forward to trying them this coming weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

where in dublin sells this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

where in dublin sells this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bull and Castle Beerhall and Gastropub, Christchurch
    Deveney's Off License, Dundrum
    Drinkstore, Stoneybatter
    L Mulligan's, Stoneybatter
    McHugh's Off Licenses, Malahide Road and Kilbarrack Road
    Redmonds Off license, Ranelagh

From here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'd have to say I like the blonde (Helvick Gold) a lot - there is a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle though and I think it tastes better if you leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, Enjoyed several bottles of the Helvic Gold while in Dungarvan for a few days last week.
    Unlike Carlow, the local establishments seem to be supporting their local brewery!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

rottenhat wrote: »
    I'd have to say I like the blonde (Helvick Gold) a lot - there is a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle though and I think it tastes better if you leave it there.

get it into ya ya wuss!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭poitinstill

had the helvik and the copper coast both fine beers i will drink again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Like the Stout and the Helvick (nice little citrusy kick) but find the Red too fruity and estery for my taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had the red ale last night, found it a bit too sour and yeasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Had the red ale last night, found it a bit too sour and yeasty.

Same here, i thought it was a bit 'off'. Wouldn't be rushing back for the ale again.

I had the other 2 and found the stout was only ok. Although I have to say I found the helvick gold to be very good indeed. Nice and hoppy with a georgous aftertaste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I had their blonde beer at the Beer festival last night and thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Brockagh wrote: »
    I had their blonde beer at the Beer festival last night and thought it was very good.

mmmm. Had the blond and the stout last night at the beer festival. I really enjoyed the stout. It was smooth without being bland and surprisingly creamy and 'fizzier' than i expected. I'm not sure if this is a by-product of the bottle fermenting, but i liked it! Will be getting more!

[could the 'bad bottle' thing be down to the bottle fermenting ocassionally going wrong? - i have absolutely no expertise in this area so just a thought!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭yknaa

Off to visit Dungarvan in early September so marval as profits rise :D Looking fwd to trying out the product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I had some of the red ale last night. I thought it looked suspiciously cloudy after pouring, Then I noticed that you are supposed to store it upright and pour it carefully to leave the yeast sediment at the bottom.

Didn't enjoy it too much then, as too much yeast sediment in a beer can upset my stomach. The taste was a little sour and yeasty.

However, looking forward to trying it again and pouring it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I personally prefer the yeast in my beer from a bottle conditioned bottle.

The Helvick gold and Black Rock Stout are two of the finest beers produced in this country and are in fact world class beers in my opinion.

The Copper Coast I have yet to give a proper testing, from memory it was a good beer but not sure how it compares to O'Haras.

I was at the brewery a few weeks back for an open day. All the cask Helvick Gold and Blackrock stout I could drink :D It was a pour your own thing which puts the Guinness tables to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

I have to say that's harsh with the thumbs down symbol in the post-title. I drank a few of their "black rock" stouts and thought it was a lovely stout.

Had a pint of that trouble brewing the other day and my god it is disgusting, however it just might be that I don't like that type of beer (what type of beer is it?). Didn't like Galway Hooker either

Trouble Brewing's Ór is a Golden Ale but it is also quite hoppy. I like it myself though they are currently working on consistency and producing the same beer in each batch.

Galway Hooker is a fantastic beer. It is an IPA, in this case Irish Pale Ale but it is based on the American versions of the English - India Pale Ale.

It is a hoppy citrusy beer. Only 35 IBU (Guinness is about 45) but it is the type of hops that set it apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Saruman wrote: »
    (Guinness is about 45) b

I do wonder if this value is still true ?

Good point... It does not seem it, not even bottled Guinness is as bitter as it used to be.

Good point... It does not seem it, not even bottled Guinness is as bitter as it used to be.

If it is we should have not problem with 100+ IBU beers;)

Indeed I love my 100 IBU beers. My 106 IBU Double IPA was lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

Trouble Brewing's Ór is a Golden Ale but it is also quite hoppy. I like it myself though they are currently working on consistency and producing the same beer in each batch.

They've their work cut out. Clearly there's been trouble brewing it from the off - hence the name. Have never been a fan of any of these so called "pale ales".

Dungarvan deserves respect for bringing out 3 top quality beers. Great to see independent breweries in Ireland making quality beer, rather than these awful trendy IPAs.

You know something, I think I might get stuck into a few Dungarvans tonight!!!

30kmph wrote: »
    Great to see independent breweries in Ireland making quality beer, rather than these awful trendy IPAs.

IPA's go back to the start of the 19th century an further in the from of a stock ale and have been brew nearly continuous sine in some form or another;)

If you want awful trendy, then the blow in is pale lagers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Indeed I love my 100 IBU beers. My 106 IBU Double IPA was lovely stuff.
    Hops rule.

Advertisement