Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - How'd it go?

• 21-06-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I dropped to pass. Don't really know why, but it's done now.

Holy God, was it easy...

Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow..

In 1819 the Danish physicist Hans Christian Oersted discovered that an electric current flowing through a wire deflected a compass needle...
    etc.

(a) Who discovered that an electric current can deflect a compass needle (7)

And so on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Lol. I wish I did physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

I wish I didn't do Physics and Accounting on the same day or I might have gone for the 100 marks this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

higher level was sooo handy!!!! i am so happy with it! i was able to avoid evil electricity!!!! :D:D so happpy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

''Name the famous Irish writer....''

Bit bitchy of the SEC to shove James Joyce onto the paper imo. Sat there for a few mins debating whether or not to put down his name and decided against it. Argh.

Experiments were quite sound :D

Anyone else find that Q6 was pure rotten? I did tried to do it as an extra question...

Was an OK paper but still doubtful of my A1 now :( Eek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

IronGirl92 wrote: »

Bit bitchy of the SEC to shove James Joyce onto the paper imo. Sat there for a few mins debating whether or not to put down his name and decided against it. Argh.

Anyone else find that Q6 was pure rotten? I did tried to do it as an extra question...

I agree, there wasn't a value for G? that confuse anyone else ?

• Advertisement

I agree, there wasn't a value for G? that confuse anyone else ?

Aye, but G is written in the maths tables. Am I pure dense or were we missing M as well? 81 times the mass of the moon...er, mass of the moon le do thoil!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

Aye, but G is written in the maths tables. Am I pure dense or were we missing M as well? 81 times the mass of the moon...er, mass of the moon le do thoil!?

yeah but i was confused that they gave us some values from the tables and not others. I just left that question then. And question 11 actually involved reading the paragraph for once :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Thought it was ok-ish.. yeah thought Q 6 was horrible.. same with th particle physics.. seems like they want more people to do applied electricity as it was far softer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

yeah but i was confused that they gave us some values from the tables and not others. I just left that question then. And question 11 actually involved reading the paragraph for once :p

Haha yeah for the question the radio frequency energy absorbed by the body was it just that its converted to heat like it said in the extract?

And I wrote in my I value for my R value in Q8 (iii). :( Will that be counted as a slip or will I just get attempt marks for filling in most of the formula right? So annoyed at myself :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Haha yeah for the question the radio frequency energy absorbed by the body was it just that its converted to heat like it said in the extract?

you convert the jouels and 3 mins to watts and then divide that by mass, i git >2 wkg-1 :) ( i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Yes! That annoyed me too. Even called up my supervisor about it. But talking to people after the exam I think we were meant to find the mass using some formula ? Not sure myself though. That was the first long question I started and after that part of it I felt the whole question was horrible. So then I discounted that question and went on and did another five =/ It'll probably end up as my extra question, hope it does otherwise that would mean I really messed up some other question(s) :s Haha.
    Either way, thought it was all, okayish. I got 35% in the mocks and so now I thiiink I did okay. Not spectacular, but then again I never really expected an A1 in physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭E0inz

Pretty good exam. Exp's were so predictable. The STS question was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Yeah 6 was tricky. You were given the value for g at the earth's surface so I use g = GM/r^2 to get M for earth. Then they told you that the moon mass was 81 times the earth mass so just multiply and then stick it back into the g=GM/4R^2. It was tricky though. Experiments were nice I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

This.
    I thought I was going mad, but I couldn't find M anywhere! Were we supposed to work it out?! I couldn't see how to..

Also, I didn't know data-loggers were a required part of the course. I've always used ticker-tape timers and whatnot instead of them. Question 12 (a) was a bust for me - I've never seen a data-logger let alone used one!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 s0ur_cherry

did anyone, for 10 (a) (iii) write more than one meson? i think it was just meant to be pion and anti-pion but it's not really clear, so in the exam i wrote pion +, pion -, kaon + and kaon - :S

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. I got a lot wrong on the higher paper, but I was quite happy with the X-ray question and Option cause modern Physics was all I studied for the exam. The rest of it was just made up on the spot. . . Two precautions using a mobile phone. . . Don't talk to long or it costs loads, and switch it of on airoplanes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Yeah 6 was tricky. You were given the value for g at the earth's surface so I use g = GM/r^2 to get M for earth. Then they told you that the moon mass was 81 times the earth mass so just multiply and then stick it back into the g=GM/4R^2. It was tricky though. Experiments were nice I thought.

You were meant to solve q6 using ratios! I think! :pac:

Taco Chips wrote: »

Well balls, I thought about doing that but then thought 'cause we were getting a that......BLEHHHH okay, I'm just going to pretend that I never even looked at that Q! ^_^ did 7 Qs in section B so I should be covered...that said I'm sure I made a balls of 4 of them. Eek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

did anyone, for 10 (a) (iii) write more than one meson? i think it was just meant to be pion and anti-pion but it's not really clear, so in the exam i wrote pion +, pion -, kaon + and kaon - :S

I wasn't sure either! A kaon has "Strange" quarks in it though, so it couldn't have been a kaon

Yeah I wrote the 6 out. As did my friend who attempted it. They didn't word it very clearly tbf!

I WROTE OUT EVERY POSSIBLE COMBINATION XD was so silly!
    all i knew for sure were the pions! ah sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I was sh*tting an absolute brick for physics!
    I learned off nearly every single definiton except the feckin photoelectric one, and that was the only feckin one that came up!!

experiments: nearly died of happiness with the sin i sin r one, so easy!!

overall i reckon i got a D1/C3... which is brilliant by my standards!!

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. I got a lot wrong on the higher paper, but I was quite happy with the X-ray question and Option cause modern Physics was all I studied for the exam. The rest of it was just made up on the spot. . . Two precautions using a mobile phone. . . Don't talk to long or it costs loads, and switch it of on airoplanes?
    that Q was so annoying, it was like "they arent dangerous in any way" then asked for 2 precautions :pac: i said dont use it for prolonged periods can damage hearing and be harmful, then i said dont sleep with it under ur pillow hahaha xD

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

a balls of a test. Q6 was really annoying. q8 I didn't have a clue about but i still attempted it. Section A was the only good thing about the paper.. how was the ice dried anyone know?... and for the last part in q3 was it because of total internal reflection?

muffinz wrote: »
    that Q was so annoying, it was like "they arent dangerous in any way" then asked for 2 precautions :pac: i said dont use it for prolonged periods can damage hearing and be harmful, then i said dont sleep with it under ur pillow hahaha xD
    ah i just said to not have it close to your head when the call is connecting as its most dangerous and that when its out of signal it spits out radiation like nobodies business( thank you richard hammond XD)

Liveit wrote: »
    a balls of a test. Q6 was really annoying. q8 I didn't have a clue about but i still attempted it. Section A was the only good thing about the paper.. how was the ice dried anyone know?... and for the last part in q3 was it because of total internal reflection?
    for Q3 i said it would lead to greater percentage error, but thats just a guess... i use "greater precentage error" for every experiment-related Q:pac:

it was steam not ice, ehm i just went on about steam traps and lagged delivery tubing

• Advertisement

Wasn't it to dry the steam? Steam/Water trap!
    Making i smaller than 30* means r is smaller again and thus increases percentage error in reading the protractor etc etc

Advertisement