Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - How'd it go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Liveit wrote: »
    how was the ice dried anyone know?

The steam you mean? A steam trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

muffinz wrote: »
    for Q3 i said it would lead to greater percentage error, but thats just a guess... i use "greater precentage error" for every experiment-related Q:pac:

yeah i said that too, but i also said that if the angle was any smaller then the angle of refraction would be smaller which makes it harder to get an accurate result and any errors made would be significant and would affect the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

IronGirl92 wrote: »
    Aye, but G is written in the maths tables. Am I pure dense or were we missing M as well? 81 times the mass of the moon...er, mass of the moon le do thoil!?

we're not supposed to have to look at the tables though this year because we're doing the 2008 leaving cert which is suppsoed to supply us with those details... i tried doing it with and with the value for G but didn't work out eitehr way... how are you supposed to do it when there's no mass of the earth or the moon.. ugh 81moon = mass of earth...

like in fairness...

other than that it was pretty handy.. experiments were grand.. question 5 was really easy too...
    q11 looked sooooo tricky but one you read the passage it was really esay

q12 - part A - wtf my teacher said that their not supposed to ask that question so i can see that causing a bit of bother perhaps..

delighted it's over anyways B2 for me me thinks.. spent the last 2 minutes running through the paper marking myself and being hard on myself so...

hopefully I'll get it anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Well that went badly...all I can say is thank the lord jesus for those math tables! Section A was lovely but it went a bit awry after that....

James Joyce? Really SEC? Really??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

did anyone, for 10 (a) (iii) write more than one meson? i think it was just meant to be pion and anti-pion but it's not really clear, so in the exam i wrote pion +, pion -, kaon + and kaon - :S

I didn't understand the question. It said something about quarks and then said to find the combinations so I wrote down up-down etc. :S Ah well.

I thought the experiments were fine. I found the long questions to be fairly hard. Did 5,6,9,10,12. I thought 5 was hard enough, mostly because I left out a lot of topics, but at least they only count your best 8. 9 and 12(b and d) seemed ok. Thought 10 was fairly hard. Then I did 6, even though I've literally done no mechanics in over 6 months, and I wasn't even good at it back then. I too was confused my the M thing, although I did figure it out somehow but it may have been wrong.
    I didn't like the look of te electricity q(then again I don't like the look of any of them). Couldn't do 7 as I didn't study waves and couldn't do 11 either, whatever that is. So I didn't have much choice.

Overall it wasn't too bad, I suppose.

• Advertisement

yeah i said that too, but i also said that if the angle was any smaller then the angle of refraction would be smaller which makes it harder to get an accurate result and any errors made would be significant and would affect the results.

??? that's the exact same thing but said in a defferent way :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i did the same thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

ummtea wrote: »
    Well that went badly...all I can say is thank the lord jesus for those math tables! Section A was lovely but it went a bit awry after that....

James Joyce? Really SEC? Really??
    yeah that Q was bullsh*t.... james joyce wtf!

Anyone get the speed of that star in the Doppler effect question?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Does anyone know if saying 'Set up a speaker emmiting a continual frequency and then observing the change while running away from it' will work for the explanation of the Doppler effect?I know it was supposed to be the ripple tank!

Holysock wrote: »
    Does anyone know if saying 'Set up a speaker emmiting a continual frequency and then observing the change while running away from it' will work for the explanation of the Doppler effect?I know it was supposed to be the ripple tank!
    the ripple tank?D: i wrote all about a person swinging an object emitting a continous pitch, and when it came towards us it was higher etc.... 0 marks for me then D:

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't know what the Doppler effect one was:)

I said set up 2 speakers connected to a signal generator and walk up and down between them. Observer will notice the frequency changes. I know thats the 'prove sound is a wave' one but its the best I could think of! Will that work?

james joyce :D:D:D that was such an easy couple of marks.. surely every teacher told their students that james joyce named the quarks :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    good job mine did anyways lol :P

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    ??? that's the exact same thing but said in a defferent way :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i did the same thing :p

:D
    Conor108 wrote: »
    The steam you mean? A steam trap

ah that's it! i couldn't remember what you call it. I said steam filter though. I think I'd get away with it. well I hope so. :pac:

and yes I got the speed of the star but can't remember the exact figures.
    I used the doppler's effect formula and c= (lamda)f formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Well if they were going to put on a writer it should have been Eavan Boland!

the ripple tank?D: i wrote all about a person swinging an object emitting a continous pitch, and when it came towards us it was higher etc.... 0 marks for me then D:

Well I think it was supposed to be a ripple tank ,thats in the book. I wanted to write about F1 cars going around tracks but then remembered it said lab experiment:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

james joyce :D:D:D that was such an easy couple of marks.. surely every teacher told their students that james joyce named the quarks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My teacher didn't even do the option question(among other things) :pac:

hahahah, i WILL get my eavan boland essay into my exams somehow xD
    my teacher didnt... or else he did, but i wasnt listenting... most likely the latter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Conor108 wrote: »
    Anyone get the speed of that star in the Doppler effect question?

yup but probably wrong i got 50.847x10^6 ms-1

Well I think it was supposed to be a ripple tank ,thats in the book. I wanted to write about F1 cars going around tracks but then remembered it said lab experiment:(

i put a signal generator on top of a trolley and rolled the trolley along the desk ;) surely that's right

if it's not i'll be so shocked:rolleyes:

FKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
    ah i did the signal generator too :(

• Advertisement

bahaha love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

Blerdiii wrote: »
    FKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
    ah i did the signal generator too :(

I'm pretty sure neither the signal generator or the ripple tank are the doppler efect, the ripple tank is about interference!!

I couldn't remember a demo for it so i said about the pitch of tuning forks as you bring them away from or towards your ear.

Also for the particle physics, I answered pions AND kaons... both are mesons like... is that right to say both?

I'm pretty sure neither the signal generator or the ripple tank are the doppler efect, the ripple tank is about interference!!

I couldn't remember a demo for it so i said about the pitch of tuning forks as you bring them away from or towards your ear.

Also for the particle physics, I answered pions AND kaons... both are mesons like... is that right to say both?

yeah but with the relevant motion of the observer maybe i can get away with it XD

yup fully right!

I think the ripple tank can be used to show the wave pattern created for a moving object.That question really annoyed me.Ah well, whats done is done!

is the right answer to this possibly "flavourful" messons... :confused::confused:
    Flavourful mesons are mesons made of pair of quark and antiquarks of different flavours.
    to quote wikipedia's deffintion of flavourful...

i hadn't a clue what to write down in the exam so

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

i thought it went well bar Q6
    i didnt do the thermistor experiment which i doubt many did.

i did Q5,6,7,9,11,12 in the longs
    i just abandoned Q6 after a while.
    it was really hard but Q5 was lovely

Q11 looked hard but was relatively easy IMO
    coming out of the exam i realised i left out the 9 marker on the modern physics question. thats around 2%. pitty

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

My version was a lot calmer, with a gentle stroll from A to B :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

i got 1.495x10^6..ms-1

and for the expt i also said set up a speaker and signal generator and run away from it...:pac:
    ..but to be fair I don't think there was an expt to verify it in our book??.

oooo, I think I got that too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

We didn't have a book :rolleyes: I said a beeper emitting a sound of known frequency attached to a string and swirled around in the air. The person swinging hears the same frequency but then two observers either side hear variations???

Advertisement