Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - How'd it go?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

i hate how the physics paper isnt split up into (i) (ii) etc, its so easy to leave a part of a Q out, which i probably did :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

muffinz wrote: »
    i hate how the physics paper isnt split up into (i) (ii) etc, its so easy to leave a part of a Q out, which i probably did :(
    yeah that really pisses me off too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

This question 6 analysis going on is so depressing...........

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

How did everyone get on at OL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockerlkj

did anyone do question 8? that was a bitch of a question! it asked to find the current going through the coil, but you didnt know the relevent resistances so it was damn as hell impossible. can someone help out? i swear, if i lose my A1 because of that, i'll shoot someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 karen-xxxxx

dmp07 wrote: »
    i got the same answer by using ratio
    g= 9.8 when R= earth's radius
    g= 9.8/4 when R= twice the earth's radius
    g = 9.8/9 when R= three times the earth's radius

9.8/9=1.08888888889

great! It took me like three pages but got the same answer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

How did everyone get on at OL?

It was simple. Like Maths there is such a vast difference between each level. I failed the Higher Mocks, pretty sure I've got an A there.

Question 11 was a joke. Half of it was just reading it straight off the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Because I already know I made loads of mistakes on the paper?!
    Don't even remember what I answered to be honest, planning on never needing to learning Physics again as long as I live!?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

hoping for an A2 , at last b2 :)
    Nice paper it was :) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

rockerlkj wrote: »
    did anyone do question 8? that was a bitch of a question! it asked to find the current going through the coil, but you didnt know the relevent resistances so it was damn as hell impossible. can someone help out? i swear, if i lose my A1 because of that, i'll shoot someone.
    I'd say very few people did it. It was a nasty-ish question on an unpopular topic.

You were given the power, and the voltage. P = IV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

I'd say very few people did it. It was a nasty-ish question on an unpopular topic.

You were given the power, and the voltage. P = IV

I'm pretty sure the 10 HL people in my year did it ^_^ I'll throw up my methods tomorrow if I'm still able to function after chemistry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Adding ice is the wrong way:P The way you find the mass of the ice is subtract the initial mass of the apparatus from the final mass i.e. the ice+water+calorimeter minus water+calorimeter = ice.
    The way to find the mass of the steam is the same: steam+water+calorimeter minus h20+calorim = steam.

If you add ice to cool, then put steam in it, how do you know at the end where the extra mass came from? you can find out that say 100g of ice and steam were added, but how much of that 100g was ice and how much was steam?

You could probably argue that youd add the ice, wait for it to melt, then weigh the lot, THEN add the steam....but a fridge is easier!

q6 ya didnt need G or M....f = GM over D^2....for the guys to be weightless the gravitational force of the earth = gravitational force of the moon. so G(81)M / d^2 = GM / D^2....G and M cancel...end up with 9d = D...your given the dist between the centres...solve from there its jus algebra:)

The Q8 (i think?) one with the hairdryer....it said "the fan develops a fault"....how are we supposed to know whether the fault was a short, an open circuit, or the fan jamming? They all have different results but could all be read as "fault"

no you got me totally wrong i had the copper calorimeter within a beaker of ice...there was no ice added to the water at all XD thats how we did the experiment like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Blerdiii wrote: »
    no you got me totally wrong i had the copper calorimeter within a beaker of ice...there was no ice added to the water at all XD thats how we did the experiment like

me friend wrote that you can cool it in a fridge / freezer . xD
    i don't think they will accept that , what you guys think ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Areq wrote: »
    me friend wrote that you can cool it in a fridge / freezer . xD
    i don't think they will accept that , what you guys think ? :pac:

What, I wrote that too :( it's not the most "physicsy" answer but it still makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

What, I wrote that too :( it's not the most "physicsy" answer but it still makes sense.

tisn't exactly physiccy but it's still right so don't worry about that.. that's what a fridge does..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jawileth

FreeT wrote: »
    Q10ii: My kinetic energy worked out at 3.69x10^(-14) J

When I got to (iii) I was seriously considering just trying 10B!

RE: blerdii
    It's really starting to look like i fecked up question 1...
    sorry! you are correct! i did everything right untill the very end!

i got hf=mc^2+Ek! then instead bringing it across to get hf-mc^2=Ek,
    I stupidly divided across to get hf/mc^2=Ek!

DUhh!! hopefully i'll get most of the marks!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

So is the consensus that it was a hard paper? I just need a C3 and I'm fairly sure I got that, but whatever I get, I think I could have done a lot better. I don't remember reading about Dirac discovering Positrons anywhere, just "Antimatter" in general, and the Nuclear equation threw me off (How do you use the MeV part?) and I don't remember any experiment about the Doppler Effect, all I could think of was the one for interference of waves.....:( I guess I didn't look over the book carefully enough. Thankfully I did Question 11 as an extra question in my time left over rather then trying to go back over stuff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mmmmmmmKayyyy

For Q12(c), I think, the nuclear fission one anyway, what did ye get the "element X" to be? I got Krypton but I'm not sure it's right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

For Q12(c), I think, the nuclear fission one anyway, what did ye get the "element X" to be? I got Krypton but I'm not sure it's right?

I got Krypton also!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cman_21

Yeah I got Krypton for that too!
    Also, I find it strange that no one has said anything about the complete lack of derivations on the paper! Not a single one! I find that a bit strange seeing as there weren't any theorems on Higher Maths either....just goes to support the theory that the SEC want to clamp down on people relying on stuff learnt off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I think got krypton too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 leavingcert 2010

cman_21 wrote: »
    Also, I find it strange that no one has said anything about the complete lack of derivations on the paper! Not a single one! I find that a bit strange seeing as there weren't any theorems on Higher Maths either....just goes to support the theory that the SEC want to clamp down on people relying on stuff learnt off

yeah exactly, there was no derivations in maths

or definitions in physics
    those log tables were a blessing and a curse at the same time

however for physics i already knew all the formula inside out, i only used log tables for the units to use

btw i also got krypton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mmmmmmmKayyyy

OK good on the Krypton thing.

Yeah, I didn't learn any theorems for Physics so I was delighted. But I'm sure it was kinda annoyin for people who did.

As for maths, our school was chosen to do the trial paper 2 for project maths which is goin to be the new curriculum I think. Anyway my point is that there's a question on that paper where a theorem is gauranteed to come up.. You'd probably of liked the Project Maths paper 2 cuz it had theorems.. It completely ****ed up my maths result but yeah it has theorems so it's awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Exasperated_

I loved it.. waay easier than the Chemistry. I have to admit it was different compared to previous papers. Overall it was a great paper. I wasn't expecting the James Joyce question in the Particle Physics section. (I just guessed James Joyce. Good thing I was correct). I thought the mobile phone question was interesting. Overall it was a decent paper. I hope I get an A lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

i'm delighted over that :D:D:D:D i didn't learn any derivations off or any theorems :P :P :P have to say it was a great decision by the SEC to leave this learned off stuff out.. i reckon I did pretty good on both maths and physics as a result because I didn't have to rely on learned of stuff... it was just actually knowing how to do the stuff this year.. pretty happy overall with both papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

FreeT wrote: »
    Hey boarders, did anyone get any of these answers?:

Q1: Mass = 3.51 kg
    Q2: Latent heat = 2,338,477 J/kg
    Q3: n = 1.492
    Q6: a = 1.09 m/s/s
    Height above surface = 3.392x10^8 m
    Velocity = 1022.9 m/s
    Q7: Speed = 1.48x10^6 m/s
    Q11b: 0.2 W/kg
    g: 6.25 cm

Thanks in advance.

got all dem answers :pac:
    except for q.6 cos dat question was simply beyond me.
    so thank you very much for the reassurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

UglyFuc wrote: »
    couple of questions here

how was the water cooled below room temperature - i said leave it in the fridge
    i said sensitive thermomerer gives more accurate result

below 30 degrees = total internal reflection occurs, no emergent ray to measure angle

what was the conditions of equlibrium?
    what device adjusts the radio tuning? please say diode
    why does a note sound different wih different instruments?
    tell me the direction of the charge P was to the right

i got to the right :) any1 take down the figure for electric field strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    i got to the right
    AFAIK it was to the left, as it's the direction a charge of +1 C would be forced in the the field. That's away from positive charge, toward negative charge, ie to the left.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I got to the left as well for that question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I got to the left too, but I messed up the actual calculation >.<

Advertisement