Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Aftermath

• 21-06-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Couldn't have been happier with it!

Experiments were a doddle and question five was probably the easiest ever!

Question 10 was tough enough but there were plenty of decent alternatives to avoid it!

Was dreading physics the most but now....weight off my shoulders!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Cipango wrote: »
    Couldn't have been happier with it!

Experiments were a doddle and question five was probably the easiest ever!

Question 10 was tough enough but there were plenty of decent alternatives to avoid it!

Was dreading physics the most but now....weight off my shoulders!
    was an overall nice paper i thought! 10 was a bit tough (think messed up iii) but overall think it couldnt have gone better!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

I think I must be a bit weird because I thought overall it wasn't the best of papers, but I thought the question 10 could have been a lot worse :D hahaha. Either way, DELIGHTED to have my options started, roll on Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 velvets-rule

It was alright. I am happy with it though. Most of the questions were fine.

Only issue was some of the calculations - I think I messed up a few. I got over 4 millions meters for the lenght of the coil in the Hairdryer question!
    Is the marking scheme for the calculations the same as in Maths - with blunders, attempt marks and such?

Very happy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

chillian17 wrote: »
    I think I must be a bit weird because I thought overall it wasn't the best of papers, but I thought the question 10 could have been a lot worse :D hahaha. Either way, DELIGHTED to have my options started, roll on Thursday :D

I suppose it was just everything I had learned so to me it was easy rather than an easy paper in general

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I was fairly satisfied with it. I only got one part wrong which I know of, and it was the chemical effect of current, which I couldn't remember for my life.

Otherwise, I found all other questions a doddle. Question 10 wasn't bad either. Muon and Kaon are the only mesons like.

• Advertisement

Ruski wrote: »
    I was fairly satisfied with it. I only got one part wrong which I know of, and it was the chemical effect of current, which I couldn't remember for my life.

Otherwise, I found all other questions a doddle. Question 10 wasn't bad either. Muon and Kaon are the only mesons like.
    muon is an elementary particle... pion is the other meson

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Blerdiii wrote: »
    muon is an elementary particle... pion is the other meson

Ah feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Ok so in the last few seconds i noticed that one of my graph papers was ripped!! you know the whole that you put the thread through, that had a tear so the thread would just slip out through it!! i sealed my booklet even though the examiner told me not to for some reason, do u reckon it will be ok? i have my name on it, but im terrified.. plus its the sin i sin r graph, which is worth a good few marks that i need D:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

muffinz wrote: »
    Ok so in the last few seconds i noticed that one of my graph papers was ripped!! you know the whole that you put the thread through, that had a tear so the thread would just slip out through it!! i sealed my booklet even though the examiner told me not to for some reason, do u reckon it will be ok? i have my name on it, but im terrified.. plus its the sin i sin r graph, which is worth a good few marks that i need D:

I'd say so! Like I slipped my Irish aural into the booklet without the thread

Cipango wrote: »
    I'd say so! Like I slipped my Irish aural into the booklet without the thread

• Advertisement

Ruski wrote: »
    Ah feck.
    youll be grand any way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

You have your name on it? Then it isn't okay.

You have your name on it? Then it isn't okay.
    my number not my name sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

my number not my name sorry

Ah! That's alright.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

Was everyone else told about the mistake on q12?

Was everyone else told about the mistake on q12?
    yup!
    didnt matter i had no idea what the feck they were on about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

probably the easiest physics exam paper I''ve ever seen. Particle physics question was harder than most years though.

Yet again, you can see that they're tryin to get rid of predicting, everyone was CERTAIN joules law was coming up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

yup!
    didnt matter i had no idea what the feck they were on about!
    ya what the feck were they on about, how to graph it on your calculator or something??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

probably the easiest physics exam paper I''ve ever seen. Particle physics question was harder than most years though.

Yet again, you can see that they're tryin to get rid of predicting, everyone was CERTAIN joules law was coming up!!!

I thought the experiments were predictable. I only covered about 10 and 4 of those came up. I mean if you're only doing 4 you're obviously taking a huge risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

ya what the feck were they on about, how to graph it on your calculator or something??:confused:

well me and you go to a poor school that can't afford the graphing calculator yoke or whatever it was

i'm assuming your used to using a ticker timer and ticker tape... an absouulte disgrace that they put that up on the paper... not every school uses this set up or whatever it was...

i think this is what it is anyways... according to my teacher that question isn't allowed because their not supposed to be allowed to tell us what way to do any experiment because different schools do it different ways...

like our school doens't even own one of them yokes so how in the name of god was i supopsed to know how to do that question... which threw q12 out the window in my case as it turned out because i was only able to do 1 of the other parts out fully...

can't believe they were naive enough to put this up thinking that people wouldn't complain... then again - suppose the more controversial it is the better

• Advertisement

oh well would have been no bother to Salman85 XD

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Am I the only one here that had a problem with that paper? I thought it was awful!

I couldn't think of a second reason for not measuring below 30 degrees,
    I didn't know why the F=ma wouldn't go through the origin,
    I found it hard to describe the red shift,
    I'm sure my explanation of the x-ray is wrong,
    Question 10a was a disaster and
    I had to guess for most of question 11.

Overall, I thought it was more difficult than other years, and I'm starting to worry about the good responses here now.

ps. Also really disappointed about the lack of circular motion, SHM, density and other mechanics

FreeT wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that had a problem with that paper? I thought it was awful!

I couldn't think of a second reason for not measuring below 30 degrees,
    I didn't know why the F=ma wouldn't go through the origin,

i agree with these 2 points as well... 2 reasons :confused::confused: greater percentage error is all i can possibly think of...

also - if f=ma didn't go through the origin then obviously their doing something wrong :confused::confused: how are we supposed to know what they did wrong.. for all we know they set it up wrong... if it didn't work then that means either the experiment doesn't work or they did it wrong by taking innacurate measurements or by actually forgetting to do something...

that's just way way way to vague to be fair in fairnes... like if it doesn't pass through the origin your suppsoed to pick your best straight line sur...

like what's the odds of it being a dead straight line through every point but not passing through the origin as well...... their either to incompentent to put their best straight line through the origin or they did it wrong... i can't see any other reason why it wouldn't work tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pheima

Did anyone else notice that Q11 wan't even in the book!Never in my life have I done a question on that!!Radio waves?? And Q6 what an absolute bitch! Like I got an A1 in the mock and I thought that was a horrible section B, A was grand, Bwas unfair! Such a boy-orientated paper too

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Hey John, did you get 3.51kg for the mass in question 1?

Realistically, it seemed a bit heavy to me, but I had double checked my work...

Re: Pheima
    Male orientated? In what way?

Pheima wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that Q11 wan't even in the book....................................
    Such a boy-orientated paper too

:confused::confused::confused: how.... what's that supposed to mean...

also the answer was in the passage if you'd bothered to jsut take 2 secs to read it :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    sars are measured in kg per watt.... radio waves are converted to heat... blah blah

i didnt't do the question but i was looking at it because i had time over and i seen that question and it irked me the way it was phrased is all

Pheima wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that Q11 wan't even in the book!Never in my life have I done a question on that!!Radio waves?? And Q6 what an absolute bitch! Like I got an A1 in the mock and I thought that was a horrible section B, A was grand, Bwas unfair! Such a boy-orientated paper too

what a stupid comment!
    eh i am a girl and it was in NO WAY boy orientated?
    and sorry to tell you sweetheart nothing about physics is boy orientated?

Re: Pheima
    Male orientated? In what way?

i got 2. something and so did my whole class..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Considering how s**t I am at Physics and how I got 32 in the mocks, I'm happy enough. I'll take a C and run.:D

• Advertisement

what a stupid comment!
    eh i am a girl and it was in NO WAY boy orientated?
    and sorry to tell you sweetheart nothing about physics is boy orientated?

i'm also gonna take a dig now by saying how she got an "A" in her mocks...

luv as much as you may hate to hear it.. an A in the mocks means ntohing if you get lost altogether if you have to stop and think for a second like we did today... Q6 was hard.. yes do anoteher question.. surely an A student would know enough about a different topic to get away from the hardest question on the paper... Q11 like i said before had every answer spelled out in front of you...

todays paper wasn't boy orientated... how was it possibly... if you want to say boys are better at numbers or something... then cont up how many calculations did we have today... exactly - todays paper had a wee bit more understanding involved and you couldn't cope...

proving your not an A student in physics... i know it sounds harsh but when you try to brag about an A in the mocks and then cry that you couldn't do it today what do you expect...

Advertisement