Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Aftermath

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Leavenotrace

I thought section A was grand also a bit put off by two reasons for 30 degrees i just said that it would make the angle of refraction much harder to measure accurately and also percentage error, kind of the same thing but hey :P

Also for the electricity experiment as to why oil and not water, did anyone else say that oil had a higher specific heat capacity and so heated the thermistor more gradually, to be fair i was bluffing that bit of the q

I thought section b was ok except for Q6 and Q10

and just on a side not papers cant be boy/girl orientated! Also how can you even say its a boy orientated paper when clearly theres a whole question about a hairdryer??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    proving your not an A student in physics... i know it sounds harsh but when you try to brag about an A in the mocks and then cry that you couldn't do it today what do you expect...

...Maybe a bit too far? :S

Re: Leavenotrace
    I think water would cause bubbles to form on the thermistor when its heated, so that would lead to inaccuracies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

i'm also gonna take a dig now by saying how she got an "A" in her mocks...

luv as much as you may hate to hear it.. an A in the mocks means ntohing if you get lost altogether if you have to stop and think for a second like we did today... Q6 was hard.. yes do anoteher question.. surely an A student would know enough about a different topic to get away from the hardest question on the paper... Q11 like i said before had every answer spelled out in front of you...

todays paper wasn't boy orientated... how was it possibly... if you want to say boys are better at numbers or something... then cont up how many calculations did we have today... exactly - todays paper had a wee bit more understanding involved and you couldn't cope...

proving your not an A student in physics... i know it sounds harsh but when you try to brag about an A in the mocks and then cry that you couldn't do it today what do you expect...

im sorry but yes you are completely right!!! if sh considers maths an electricity boy orientated... i cant even begin to complain about how much she has just offended alot of female physicists.
    the mocks mean jack all with grades , if anything doing bad in them makes you work harder, or els some people like you get complacent.... and assume your a will be handed to you.her comment actually has seriously pissed me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DogsOnDub

I thought section A was grand also a bit put off by two reasons for 30 degrees i just said that it would make the angle of refraction much harder to measure accurately and also percentage error, kind of the same thing but hey :P

Also for the electricity experiment as to why oil and not water, did anyone else say that oil had a higher specific heat capacity and so heated the thermistor more gradually, to be fair i was bluffing that bit of the q

I thought section b was ok except for Q6 and Q10

and just on a side not papers cant be boy/girl orientated! Also how can you even say its a boy orientated paper when clearly theres a whole question about a hairdryer??

I'm pretty sure that oil is used because it has a lower heat capacity then water so that an accurate temp can be found immediately.
    That's what i said.
    Complete opposite really :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

DogsOnDub wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that oil is used because it has a lower heat capacity then water so that an accurate temp can be found immediately.
    That's what i said.
    Complete opposite really :o

gycerol is an even conductor of heat so the temp of the gycerol is equal to the temp of the thermistor...
    water isn't an even conductor of heat so the heat of the water is different at different spots so we can't assume the temp of water is the same as temp of thermistor...

gycerol is the oil...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pheima

Im sorry if it offended you,it was just my view. I really didn't think there was a need for that outburst. Yes I know I found Q6 hard but I did do another 2 questions so I was just saying I couldn't find 11 in the book, but ok I do accept I was wrong. I work really hard for physics and I deserved my a so I would appreciate if you didn't try to slate me as much just to make yourself feel better. Iam not complacent I was just saying as I good student of physics I found the paper hard

Pheima wrote: »
    Im sorry if it offended you,it was just my view. I really didn't think there was a need for that outburst. Yes I know I found Q6 hard but I did do another 2 questions so I was just saying I couldn't find 11 in the book, but ok I do accept I was wrong. I work really hard for physics and I deserved my a so I would appreciate if you didn't try to slate me as much just to make yourself feel better. Iam not complacent I was just saying as I good student of physics I found the paper hard

ehm hun it is not making me feel any better saying that to you , just irritates me when physics is the career i want and girls like you come out with crap like that.
    and thank you for admitting that
    *all good*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pheima

Yeah me too:)

I always found electricity kinda tough(in parts!) and I think its great that you like it:) honestly,Iam sorry for dividing physics to male and female, after all I consider myself to be a bit of Boland:P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

I consider myself to be a bit of Boland:P

Sure being a boland's much better than being a moany Rich! :D

Yeah me too:)

I always found electricity kinda tough(in parts!) and I think its great that you like it:) honestly,Iam sorry for dividing physics to male and female, after all I consider myself to be a bit of Boland:P

irs all good!
    FreeT wrote: »
    Sure being a boland's much better than being a moany Rich! :D
    epic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

gycerol is an even conductor of heat so the temp of the gycerol is equal to the temp of the thermistor...
    water isn't an even conductor of heat so the heat of the water is different at different spots so we can't assume the temp of water is the same as temp of thermistor...

gycerol is the oil...

Darn, I have all that in the back of my head. I ended up just writing: "oil is a better conductor of heat than water" ..... "FACEPALM".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

Also how can you even say its a boy orientated paper when clearly theres a whole question about a hairdryer??

this one was priceless :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

H2student wrote: »
    Darn, I have all that in the back of my head. I ended up just writing: "oil is a better conductor of heat than water" ..... "FACEPALM".
    so "it ensures good thermal contact" is wrong then, I suppose? I was thinking of some heat experiment I think.

Advertisement