Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got stopped, what to expect?

• 21-06-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Basically, i went through a red light on friday. Got stopped by the gardai, the gardai was very nice just asked do you know why im stopping you. So i told the truth that was fine, so she was like seeing as you told the truth i let you off the penalty points and fine.

Then she realized i had no tax, again that was fine she just said get tax. She said do you know thats i fine, i said yes. So she said we will let you off that as well. Just get some and produce it in ten days.

Then she realized i was only on a provisional, just said have you L plates up front and back i said yep. So that was grand, but then she said you might get a summons in the post.

So im just wondering what people think are the chances of getting a summons. And has anyone on here been summonised for not hving a full licence driver? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

So in summary you are a learner driver, who has no tax and ran a red light? Id say youd be very lucky to get away with it tbh. She was extremely lenient with the red light and the tax; most guards would have done you for one or both of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

djimi wrote: »
    So in summary you are a learner driver, who has no tax and ran a red light? Id say youd be very lucky to get away with it tbh. She was extremely lenient with the red light and the tax; most guards would have done you for one or both of those.

Yeah thats about right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'll be extremely lucky if you don't get points/summons(es) for those imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TBH, i'd be anxious too. It's impossible for any of us to say whether you'll be getting a summons, you'll just have to wait and see. I'd keep my nose clean from now on though, convictions will have a big effect on your insurance costs.

• Advertisement

You'll be extremely lucky if you don't get points/summons(es) for those imho.

Well the gardai said, i was getting off the tax and red light charge. But it was just the way that she said you might get a summons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

She has Six months to decide what to do.

Completely up to her.

snowman707 wrote: »

Its not actually out that long, since april. That thread was about a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

you wont get a ban for that anyways

the worse you will get is a large fine and a few points
    best thing you could do is tax the car and produce is to show that you care and that wont look so bad

She has Six months to decide what to do.

Completely up to her.

Ive a feeling that once i get tax and produce the insurance cert, itll be grand. She was very nice.

• Advertisement

sparky89 wrote: »
    you wont get a ban for that anyways

the worse you will get is a large fine and a few points
    best thing you could do is tax the car and produce is to show that you care and that wont look so bad

Yeah thats what ill do tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience of going to court over this?

Out of interest, were you alone in the car at the time or had you a fully licensed driver with you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Well the gardai said, i was getting off the tax and red light charge. But it was just the way that she said you might get a summons.

Unfortunately that means nothing. She can change her mind and impose points/prosecute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Wow! Wish there was a few nice Gardaí around my town like that. Had I three offences like that, I'd be nailed for points at least. And with the Traffic Corps around, they are seizing cars left right and centre for no tax and dishing out points for breaking red lights.

If she refers that above her head, it's more than likely that there'll be action taken on it, I'd be really really surprised if not tbh. It's not going to be a serious conviction but I expect something along the lines of penalty points. I don't think they'll refer you to court for being pulled in the first time.

And also, after all of the Garda bashing threads about, I say fair play to the Garda for not being a power hungry twat. She seems to have been fair and decent, perhaps too leniant, but she was still being sound.

Out of interest, were you alone in the car at the time or had you a fully licensed driver with you?

I was on my own. When she puts my reg into the computer in the car does it show up who my parents or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I was on my own. When she puts my reg into the computer in the car does it show up who my parents or anything?

Oh Noes! The database will only give her the owner of the car but she has other ways of finding your parents names.

But if an envelope comes to your house with a Harp on it, good luck trying to explain to your parents why there's been a letter sent to you. It will be obvious.

Oh Noes! The database will only give her the owner of the car but she has other ways of finding your parents names.

But if an envelope comes to your house with a Harp on it, good luck trying to explain to your parents why there's been a letter sent to you. It will be obvious.

Nah i was just trying to figure out if their was a reason she was being so nice. Thanks everyone for being helpful. Its off to the tax office tomorrow.

And also, after all of the Garda bashing threads about, I say fair play to the Garda for not being a power hungry twat. She seems to have been fair and decent, perhaps too leniant, but she was still being sound.
    Sound to the OP or sound to the potential victims of an unsupervised learner with poor observation skills running a red light? I'm sorry, but I find it impossible to see how charging the OP for the two most serious offences (driving unaccompanied and running the red light) could be construed as being a 'power hungry twat'.

@OP - If the car is registered to your parents then they'll come up on a search. You're the one being charged, though, so I don't think they'll be informed of the red light & driving unaccompanied at least. AFAIK the driving without tax issue is for you to deal with as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Basically, i went through a red light on friday. Got stopped by the gardai, the gardai was very nice just asked do you know why im stopping you. So i told the truth that was fine, so she was like seeing as you told the truth i let you off the penalty points and fine.

Then she realized i had no tax, again that was fine she just said get tax. She said do you know thats i fine, i said yes. So she said we will let you off that as well. Just get some and produce it in ten days.

Then she realized i was only on a provisional, just said have you L plates up front and back i said yep. So that was grand, but then she said you might get a summons in the post.

So im just wondering what people think are the chances of getting a summons. And has anyone on here been summonised for not hving a full licence driver? Thanks
    what do you expect? you can break all the laws?

what do you expect? you can break all the laws?

Nope, i just got lucky thats all. As my dad said if things hadve went the other way i wouldve had the car seized and at least 8penalty pounts.

Its my car, i was just wondering what info comes up.

• Advertisement

And with the Traffic Corps around, they are seizing cars left right and centre for no tax .
    can they seize a car for no tax?
    and dishing out points for breaking red lights.
    good for them.

I know it is road traffic act but is there a simpler way to know the powers of the garda in road offences than reading the act

can they seize a car for no tax?

good for them.

I know it is road traffic act but is there a simpler way to know the powers of the garda in road offences than reading the act

Yeah they can seize the car for no tax. Happened to someone i know.

Nope, i just got lucky thats all. As my dad said if things hadve went the other way i wouldve had the car seized and at least 8penalty pounts.

Its my car, i was just wondering what info comes up.
    very lucky.
    i am surprised you are surprised. To be driving at all you should know you need tax/cannot run a red light/drive alone on a provisional

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1515

Yeah they can seize the car for no tax. Happened to someone i know.
    Didn't know that, knew they could seize for no insurance. How did he get it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I would have shot you.

Didn't know that, knew they could seize for no insurance. How did he get it back?

Yeah they can seize it for no vrt as well. He had to get it taxed and show the new cert and pay a storage fee. He got off with the storage fee though.

I would have shot you.

Thanks.

I would have shot you.
    No need for that.

Yeah they can seize it for no vrt as well. He had to get it taxed and show the new cert and pay a storage fee. He got off with the storage fee though.
    they kept it till he got it taxed was it his first offence?

• Advertisement

they kept it till he got it taxed was it his first offence?

Yeah they seized it from his front garden. That is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Thanks.

In all seriousness why the hell did you blow a red-light in an untaxed car on a provo license? You do know that red lights mean STOP! don't you?

People don't run red-lights by accident. They run them on purpose. I got a ticket once in the US because I was in a really quiet suburban neighbourhood and I ran a stop sign. But I didn't do it on purpose. It was at a T-junction and I was daydreaming. But no matter how far away your mind is when you are driving, it's nigh-on impossible NOT to notice a red-light in front of you.

Well the reason i ran the red light, as i told the gardai was because i really had to go to the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Awful smell of bulls**t here...

gpf101 wrote: »
    Awful smell of bulls**t here...

I dont really mind if you dont believe me, but that is word for word what happened. Its not as if i set up an account just for the "craic". The reason i set it up was to talk to other people who have been summoized for no full licence driver. Not to share stories about how crazy i could make the story.

I dont really mind if you dont believe me, but that is word for word what happened. Its not as if i set up an account just for the "craic". The reason i set it up was to talk to other people who have been summoized for no full licence driver. Not to share stories about how crazy i could make the story.

Did you soil yourself after being pulled over?

p.s. The cops have heard it all before.

• Advertisement

Did you soil yourself after being pulled over?

p.s. The cops have heard it all before.

Nah i was only two mins from my house when i got stopped.

Well the reason i ran the red light, as i told the gardai was because i really had to go to the toilet.

No offense but that is exactly the reason why learners should not be on the road unaccompanied. You ran a red light and risked injuring/killing yourself or others because you needed to go to the bathroom? How long have you been driving; a week or something? Good lord...

Nah i was only two mins from my house when i got stopped.

So why did you run the red light? :confused:

No offense but that is exactly the reason why learners should not be on the road unaccompanied. You ran a red light and risked injuring/killing yourself or others because you needed to go to the bathroom? How long have you been driving; a week or something? Good lord...

Nah your right it was absolutly stupid of me to go through the red light, and very imature. I've been driving since the middle of feburary and have done just under 10000 miles, mostly motorways and primary roads.

I know it's no excuse but the light I ran was a filter lane for turning left leads into a housing estate.

So why did you run the red light? :confused:

Because I really had to go, it was a once off.

• Advertisement

Because I really had to go, it was a once off.

But you just said that when you were stopped by the cops you didn't actually have to go, and were only 2 mins from home.

You are contradicting yourself here.

But you just said that when you were stopped by the cops you didn't actually have to go, and were only 2 mins from home.

You are contradicting yourself here.

I did have to go, I haven't contradicted myself. I would really like to hear from people who went to court for not having a full licence driver with them.

I did have to go, I haven't contradicted myself. I would really like to hear from people who went to court for not having a full licence driver with them.

You said earlier that you told the cops you had to go to the toilet urgently, but when I asked what happened after you were pulled in you said - nothing, I was only 2 mins from home - so you didn't have to go that urgently.

You clearly made a conscious decision to place other road users at risk because you wanted to take a whizz. Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Alot of full licence drivers actually do more dangerous things than this on the road everyday. A bit of perspective on that issue perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Nah your right it was absolutly stupid of me to go through the red light, and very imature. I've been driving since the middle of feburary and have done just under 10000 miles, mostly motorways and primary roads.

I know it's no excuse but the light I ran was a filter lane for turning left leads into a housing estate.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

i was waiting for some comment about the motorways. I really dont think you should be on the road OP.

Alot of full licence drivers actually do more dangerous things than this on the road everyday. A bit of perspective on that issue perhaps.

Whats your point? That because fully licensed drivers do dangerous things as well that excuses learners for driving unaccompanied?

You said earlier that you told the cops you had to go to the toilet urgently, but when I asked what happened after you were pulled in you said - nothing, I was only 2 mins from home - so you didn't have to go that urgently.

You clearly made a conscious decision to place other road users at risk because you wanted to take a whizz. Not good.

You asked did I soil myself I said no, I was only two mins from home. Implying I held it for another two mins and got home and went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Whats your point? That because fully licensed drivers do dangerous things as well that excuses learners for driving unaccompanied?

Well that was a strange reply. The fact that full licence drivers ARE doing dangerous things doesnt worry you at all? Another fact is that there are more full licence drivers on the road than provisional drivers thats what worries me (ie a fair % them are dangerous drivers). I acknowledge that yes this learner was being dangerous but when full licence drivers are doing the same. (ie in cities everyone breaks red lights)

Tell me how the accompanying driver can prevent the learner from being dangerous or making mistakes? Doesnt have dual control does he? Who realistically has a person that can go everywhere with them? Do you not think that law is stupid?

I have a full licence myself but i think learner drivers are an easy target for poor driving standards and poor legislation in this country. A major change in test firstly must take place with more varied driving situations and perhaps a re-test upon renewing your licence to ensure the driver hasnt picked up bad habits.

I think you should only be allowed to drive on the road once you have passed your test. How would people blame then for all the poor driving.

Well that was a strange reply. The fact that full licence drivers ARE doing dangerous things doesnt worry you at all? Another fact is that there are more full licence drivers on the road than provisional drivers thats what worries me (ie a fair % them are dangerous drivers). I acknowledge that yes this learner was being dangerous but when full licence drivers are doing the same. (ie in cities everyone breaks red lights)

Tell me how the accompanying driver can prevent the learner from being dangerous or making mistakes? Doesnt have dual control does he? Who realistically has a person that can go everywhere with them? Do you not think that law is stupid?

I have a full licence myself but i think learner drivers are an easy target for poor driving standards and poor legislation in this country. A major change in test firstly must take place with more varied driving situations and perhaps a re-test upon renewing your licence to ensure the driver hasnt picked up bad habits.

I think you should only be allowed to drive on the road once you have passed your test. How would people blame then for all the poor driving.

An experienced driver might have told them not to break the red light for a start... Cant prevent everything but it certainly helps.

No its not a stupid law. In order to get a learners permit all you have to do is pass a multiple choice exam. It doesnt even require you to have ever picked up a set of car keys in your life. Do you think its okay that someone who has never sat behind the wheel of a car should be allowed to learn off some answers, pass their theory test then drive home alone because there wasnt an experienced driver available to go with them? Because thats what not having the "stupid law" would amount to.

I agree that there are dangerous fully licenced drivers as well, but at least someone with a full license has in some way demonstrated that they are capable of driving. Someone who has not passed their test might not know the difference between a clutch and a carrot and therefore should not be on the road on their own. Theyre an easy target because by definition they are learners; they are prone to make mistakes and when it comes to something as serious as driving I dont know how anyone can think its okay to let someone with little or no experience on the road on their own.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement