Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got stopped, what to expect?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You asked did I soil myself I said no, I was only two mins from home. Implying I held it for another two mins and got home and went.

So you broke the light because of an overwhelming need to go to the loo (must have been pretty urgent to do something like that) but got pulled over by the cops - who quizzed you about L plates, tax, and your license, and then you drove 2 minutes home and went to the loo.

It just doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

djimi wrote: »
    An experienced driver might have told them not to break the red light for a start... Cant prevent everything but it certainly helps.

No its not a stupid law. In order to get a learners permit all you have to do is pass a multiple choice exam. It doesnt even require you to have ever picked up a set of car keys in your life. Do you think its okay that someone who has never sat behind the wheel of a car should be allowed to learn off some answers, pass their theory test then drive home alone because there wasnt an experienced driver available to go with them? Because thats what not having the "stupid law" would amount to.

I agree that there are dangerous fully licenced drivers as well, but at least someone with a full license has in some way demonstrated that they are capable of driving. Someone who has not passed their test might not know the difference between a clutch and a carrot and therefore should not be on the road on their own. Theyre an easy target because by definition they are learners; they are prone to make mistakes and when it comes to something as serious as driving I dont know how anyone can think its okay to let someone with little or no experience on the road on their own.

I think you should only be allowed to drive on the road once you have passed your test

You obviously didnt read this part of my post then. I was saying its a stupid law to allow a learner driver to drive with an experienced driver because it isnt feasible for someone to babysit you whilst you go about your business. Thats why it is a stupid law. Many learner drivers are blamed for poor driving in this country yet it is the legislation that is governing it that is a farce. Would you blame some of them for driving without an accompanying driver? They have a licence but in reality they shouldnt. Who do you blame for that?

My original post said to put in perspective the driving standards in our country. Many full licence drivers do far worse than this man did, yet we wont worry about them let them continue away. Yet the learner driver who ran a red light you seem to think you should fine him up to 1000 euro for not having an experienced driver with him, which you admitted might not have made any difference. Learner drivers are only trying to operate within a law that isnt feasible.

The real problem I believe is guys/gals that have a full licence and drive like lunatics. Unless from your experience its always learner drivers that do stupid things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You obviously didnt read this part of my post then. I was saying its a stupid law to allow a learner driver to drive with an experienced driver because it isnt feasible for someone to babysit you whilst you go about your business. Thats why it is a stupid law. Many learner drivers are blamed for poor driving in this country yet it is the legislation that is governing it that is a farce. Would you blame some of them for driving without an accompanying driver? They have a licence but in reality they shouldnt. Who do you blame for that?

My original post said to put in perspective the driving standards in our country. Many full licence drivers do far worse than this man did, yet we wont worry about them let them continue away. Yet the learner driver who ran a red light you seem to think you should fine him up to 1000 euro for not having an experienced driver with him, which you admitted might not have made any difference. Learner drivers are only trying to operate within a law that isnt feasible.

The real problem I believe is guys/gals that have a full licence and drive like lunatics. Unless from your experience its always learner drivers that do stupid things?
    If you want to start a new thread about the law regarding unaccompanied learners then feel free, but let's keep this one on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you want to start a new thread about the law regarding unaccompanied learners then feel free, but let's keep this one on topic.

No probs it kinda spiralled from me saying to give a bit of perspective of the standard of driviing on our roads in regards to this chap being a learner driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Learner drivers are only trying to operate within a law that isnt feasible.

stupid or not it is the law,what difference does a tax disc make to your ability to drive? Of course it makes a difference having an experienced driver to advise in traffic situations, to say 'slow down' even if it is the L driver who presses the brake. To say 'indicate' or 'stop for red light'. Many inexperienced drivers cannot do all the things they need to do at once and might not notice a red light until too late. sorry Anan1 just saw your post that this is OT

Yeah they seized it from his front garden. That is another story.
    Thought they could not seize an untaxed car from private property, it was not on a public road in his front garden

I've been driving since the middle of feburary and have done just under 10000 miles, mostly motorways and primary roads.
    OMG :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

The garda appears more then nice in this situation, I think she let you off enough, with all those offenses you have to at least get done for one of them. Probably the most serious one of driving alone.

I would have came up with a better excuse then needing to take a Number 2.
    Surprised she believed you, you must have had it written all over your face that you needed to go.

10k in 4 months is big mileage for an inexperienced driver. Good luck with whatever happens. I'd be expecting somthing in the post ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

mondeo wrote: »
    The garda appears more then nice in this situation, I think she let you off enough, with all those offenses you have to at least get done for one of them. Probably the most serious one of driving alone.

I would have came up with a better excuse then needing to take a Number 2.
    Surprised she believed you, you must have had it written all over your face that you needed to go.

10k in 4 months is big mileage for an inexperienced driver. Good luck with whatever happens. I'd be expecting somthing in the post ..

Yeah, I'm not really expecting to get off Scot free. How long do summons usually take to appear? Has anyone on this forum got a summons for driving alone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

You asked did I soil myself I said no, I was only two mins from home. Implying I held it for another two mins and got home and went.

Well, mate, the urge to take a leak doesn't just hit you in 5 seconds. It builds up, ya know. Why didn't you pull in to a lay-by/pub/filling station when you were, say, 10 minutes from your house? And how come you didn't wet yourself when the guard was quizzing you? In all honesty I hope you do get slapped with a summons because if you had blown that light and gotten away with it, you would continue to blow red lights for other trivial crap like wanting to get home before Big Brother starts or seeing if you can make it to your driveway before the song on the radio ends. Wise up kid!

"Go about your BUSINESS" ?????

Dude, a provisional license is not a license for you to drive. It is not a license for you to take the car to the shops/work/football match/girlfriend's gaff/whatever.
    It's a license to PRACTISE driving. You are not going about your "business". You are practising under the supervision of someone who has passed the test and who can kick you off the wheel into the passenger seat and drive the car home himself/herself if they think you are making a balls of it.

"Go about your BUSINESS" ?????

Dude, a provisional license is not a license for you to drive. It is not a license for you to take the car to the shops/work/football match/girlfriend's gaff/whatever.
    It's a license to PRACTISE driving. You are not going about your "business". You are practising under the supervision of someone who has passed the test and who can kick you off the wheel into the passenger seat and drive the car home himself/herself if they think you are making a balls of it.
    Did you not read my warning about keeping this on-topic? Read the thread first, then contribute.;)

Thanks for all the replys lads. Just going up to tax the car now, what do I need to bring with me? Just wondering from the previous post if you have a lad in the car with a full licirnce does he need to be insured in a car. I never heard that before.

Nope, i just got lucky thats all. As my dad said if things hadve went the other way i wouldve had the car seized and at least 8penalty pounts.

Its my car, i was just wondering what info comes up.

Just wondering what info comes up? Hmmm.....sounds like you've got something to hide here. Do you have a crime record like Charles Manson that you would like kept quiet? On the run? Wanted in another country?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did you not read my warning about keeping this on-topic? Read the thread first, then contribute.;)

The OP is asking about summonses for provisional licenses. I responded to you by illustrating for what a provisional license is intended. That's hardly off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Thanks for all the replys lads. Just going up to tax the car now, what do I need to bring with me? Just wondering from the previous post if you have a lad in the car with a full licirnce does he need to be insured in a car. I never heard that before.

Not that Im aware of but I could be wrong.

To tax the car you need your insurance cert, maybe the NCT cert (although when I taxed my car I wasnt asked for it) and I think photo ID.

djimi wrote: »
    Not that Im aware of but I could be wrong.

To tax the car you need your insurance cert, maybe the NCT cert (although when I taxed my car I wasnt asked for it) and I think photo ID.

Yeah i have it all done now, the form asks for the chasis number, insurance number and nct number. I just filled in the insurance one and it was grand.

Went down to the gardai station, some heat in the place. It actually took a little while i thought it was just going to be in and out. Gardai came out and asked if the gardai just told me to get insurance. She kind of looked confused as to why i gave it to her.

Didnt get anything to say thatd id produced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 byrno11

failed to produce insureance and lic ran a red light thats why he stopped me

now i have a licence but a [prov] now the car i was in was my mums what do i expect to get fine points all that any help would be great ps i didnt have insureance on my mums car

byrno11 wrote: »

now i have a licence but a [prov] now the car i was in was my mums what do i expect to get fine points all that any help would be great ps i didnt have insureance on my mums car

WTF!!!!!

You punks deserve a week in Mountjoy. Get your sh1t together! Get the necessary documents and insurance and tax and whatever and stop driving like dickheads!!!

Blowing red lights.

Give me peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 byrno11

sorry jackie

but i will get what is coming to me but im just wondering does anyone know what i should expect ? fine points or even prison im told

Please HELP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No insurance - fine plus points.

Red light - possible prosecution and/or points.

Not producing - a fine.

I'd say your looking at a ban, at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭notel70

how can people not see that this person is a troll.

Stand back a second, the poster is admitting to doing everything that all the people on their high horses enjoy spouting about and all at the same time:
    -unaccompanied prov licence
    -ran a red light
    -no tax
    -drives on the motorway
    -hinted that the car is not in their name but they own it

stop feeding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

seems to me you must be one hot guy, and if you had no tyres on your rims she would have said, ahh its ok, get some and produce them in ten days,
    seem she wants to see you again in no more than ten days
    ITS A DATE!:D

notel70 wrote: »
    how can people not see that this person is a troll.

Stand back a second, the poster is admitting to doing everything that all the people on their high horses enjoy spouting about and all at the same time:
    -unaccompanied prov licence
    -ran a red light
    -no tax
    -drives on the motorway
    -hinted that the car is not in their name but they own it

stop feeding

Lol a person with less than 30 posts is calling me a troll. The only reason i posted was so I could hear from someone that had ever been in the same situation as me.

argosy2006 wrote: »
    seems to me you must be one hot guy, and if you had no tyres on your rims she would have said, ahh its ok, get some and produce them in ten days,
    seem she wants to see you again in no more than ten days
    ITS A DATE!:D

I'd love a date with her, she was beautiful.

Thanks for all the replys lads. Just going up to tax the car now, what do I need to bring with me? .
    you don't seem to know or care much about responsibilities of driving. could you not ring the motor tax office and ask what you need??There is more to driving than running red lights

I'd love a date with her, she was beautiful.
    why not ask her? would that be illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I'd say your looking at a ban, at the least.

And now you're the one handing out advice.???
    Get a grip,!

Chippy01 wrote: »
    And now you're the one handing out advice.???
    Get a grip,!

I think his next question will be how to go about asking the policewoman for a f**kin' date....what to wear, what to say, etc.

I think this thread is over. If this guy can't just pick up the phone and ask what to bring when he goes to get his tax disk then he's too helpless to drive a damn car.

• Advertisement

I think his next question will be how to go about asking the policewoman for a f**kin' date....what to wear, what to say, etc.

I think this thread is over. If this guy can't just pick up the phone and ask what to bring when he goes to get his tax disk then he's too helpless to drive a damn car.

Why would people waste time ringing, when you can ask here and google it. It's much quicker than ringing. You are very negative/agressive with your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If she does you for everything you can expect to go to court where you will probably get a massive fine and at least 4 points. If you have previous convictions you may also get a ban or prison sentence. Wait til you either get a summons or fine and consult a solicitor.

Rather than allow this to descend into bans, i'm going to close it now. OP, I think you've got all the advice Motors has to offer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement