Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terra Nova - Fox *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Didn't like this show.

It's a lot of the small details that annoy me. Terra Nova itself, for example, doesn't even look remotely secure. Jurassic Parks boundaries in that movie looked genuinely formidable, the compound in this show looks like it's made of wooden logs that any dinosaur could tear down. They even focused on this by showing the kid feeding the herbivore which leaned over the fence with ease. I'd find it much more credible if they had a towering, electrified perimeter like they do in JP.

It's also gone a bit Starship Troopers for my liking, in that they have this focus on lightly armored soldiers with guns in a flimsy, equally lightly armoured fort fighting these prehistoric beasts. The whole thing just....just doesn't gel for me at all. Terra Nova looks like it could be overrun by a few dinosaurs effortlessly. Hell, even a handful of 6'ers almost compromised the entire place. Don't buy it at all.

Characters are annoying. Son's a total cliche, and an unlikable douche to boot. And as strange as this may sound, I just dislike the physical appearance of most the characters as well. Particularly the son. Everyone seems to hate that character, they could do worse then sacrifice him to the dinosaurs to sate the lust for meatier interactions with the dinosaurs.

A lot of people are praising the special effects, but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed. The opening was good, but the dinosaurs themselves have a very distinctive 'I'm CGI' look to them. I don't expect film quality effects, but I have most definitely seen better effects in other shows and having see the effects in Jurassic Park remastered (1993) in the cinema recently, they look better then this.

Meh. Don't think I'll bother with it after the first 3 episodes. I realized after it ended that I was actually relieved, hardly a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Having the show focus so much on just one family and a rather annoying and uninteresting one at that was a huge mistake from the start imho. A Battlestar Galatica sized cast of characters would of been a much better idea due to the simple fact characters could be killed off as is fitting with a show that's dealing with humans living with dinosaurs.

The writing is lazy on so many different levels that scream the writers didn't think very much about the shows premise. The lack of a roof on the settlement is a pretty big blunder when living in an era with giant flying man-eating creatures along with a serious lack of ground defences to prevent a stampead of giant 30 ton herbivores :rolleyes:

Worst tho is due to being locked into the harmless adventure of the week + happy ending every episode gig, is that zero tension will ever come about any members of the family every being in danger.

Spielberg name being attached to such rubbish such as Falling Skies and now Terra Nova is not far from the groan and avoid that M Night Shyamalan's name bring with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a cross between The Waltons and Jurassic Park.

They should move the Flintstones into the compound to inject some life into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Just watched the first episode- Terra-bull Nova more like.:P

The writers seem to be trying hard to run away from the fantastic possibilities afforded to them by the premise and are instead concentrating on the most generic elements. It's a show about building a civilization in the age of dinosaurs and yet they have managed to focus on teen angst and crime solving!

The cgi, music and production design are at Syfy movie level. It boggles the mind to read about the amount of time, money and effort put into this show because there is little evidence of it in the finished programme.

If you read it that Stephen Lang's character is gay and has a major crush on Jason O'Mara, the events of first episode do become slightly more enjoyable, not to mention, plausible (why else would he allow an escaped convict to live a consequence-free life in this relative paradise?!) but, really, there's nothing here to keep me watching.

There's so much that could have been interesting about this- a wasted opportunity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yup....this thread has turned into Falling Skies 2.0....great reading!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SVG wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode- Terra-bull Nova more like.:P

It's kinda fitting that this pun is better than anything the Terra Nova writers have come up with so far. The premise is good and has great potential but so far it's been pretty meh. Hopefully it gets good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Goldstein wrote: »
    Good God, quite possibly the stupidest, most idiotic, trope filled, cliché of a tv show ever made by humans. This is imbecilic even for low-attention span fox.

Brannon Braga hang your head in shame.
    He's just getting started. He's got a whole back catalogue of dodgy ST Voyager and Enterprise episodes to "homage" yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

KerranJast wrote: »
    He's just getting started. He's got a whole back catalogue of dodgy ST Voyager and Enterprise episodes to "homage" yet.

It's funny that dinosaurs from 85m years ago actually pose a threat to humans from 150 years in the future.

Yes, let's send back weapons that need a hundred bullets to take down a medium sized dino. How about some armoured cars that can be ripped to shreds! That's also a good idea.

Silly silly silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ive only watched the first 2 (Or the pilot episode whatever) but is it me or is the CGI about as good as it was in 1993? When Zoe was feeding the dinosaurs over the fence they looked really cgi-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

South Park made fun of this today. 'It's like LOST and Jurassic Park in the same TV show!'. Only funny part of the episode

• Advertisement

^ an insult to both shows tbh Mindkiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well settled down to watch the two part pilot with the Mrs and we gave up after the first part.

Calling it awful really does a disservice to awful shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

3rd episode was awful, terrible CGI, terrible writing and it was all so predictable. Very disappointed in this series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

so should people expect 3 pages of bitchiness every week till this is canceled, :rolleyes:

don ramo wrote: »
    so should people expect 3 pages of bitchiness every week till this is canceled, :rolleyes:

Snark...pages of snark, worth the price of admission alone! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Awful waste of money.

A family escapes to paradise from an earth thats about to die.

15 mins later they are in their new house bitching at each other

episode 3 was terrible, this show will go on and on like lost did.
    no answers and more stupid plots, and pointless character actions than you could shake a stick at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh, forgot about this show - I posted a while back that I paused half way through the first episode (the combined 1st / 2nd episode) I never actually bothered watching the rest of the debut in the end, and reading the rest of this thread I don't think I'm inclined to either!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm part way through Ep1, but I'm so dismayed by what I've seen that I knew there'd be a thread on it here. I didn't know it was a Fox show, but that explains a few things. It's for a Fox audience: white, right-wing, socially conservative, "family values voters".

It starts in a future police state, where a 2-child policy is brutally-enforced ... but our heroes defy the law and have a third child, of course. Real Americans have large families, only "liberal intellectuals" worry about overpopulation. Then, when our police officer hero picks up the rucksack after escaping, it's full of $1000 bills: there must be over $1m in there. The suggestion is that there has been rampant inflation in the previous years. Guess whose face is on the money? That's right: President Obama, instead of the old Presidents. The implication is that he turned the future USA in to a banana republic, with hyperinflation, and put his own face on the money like some African dictator.

So I think the comparison to The Waltons is a good one ... it's a throwback to a more "white" era in US history. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Can people shut up about T-rexes in this thread? T-rex lived 65 million years ago, Terra Nova is 85 million years ago, GAWD! :p
    You all fail palaeontology.
    (I saw in the credits ether have a dino advisor guy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Watched the first episode of this, super cheesy, cliched and awfulness. Is the first episode the highpoint and does it go down hill from there ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Watched ep1 last night, started well I thought but faded off badly and not very impressed with the CGI. For me I think this is going to go the same way as "V", where I have to stop watching after a couple of episodes due to the annoying teenage son!

It's dead Jim........ :eek:

FOX will cap the freshman run of "Terra Nova" with a two-hour season finale on Monday, December 19 at 8:00/7:00c, network sources have confirmed. Terra Nova will air every Monday until then except October 24 and December 5th. FOX has also confirmed there will be no back 9 order.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Crap.... it wasn't a stellar show, but it was fun.
    Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shame, I watched the first two-part episode and didn't think it was "terrible"..

.. but as I've said elsewhere, not one new network drama has grabbed me this year.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Can people shut up about T-rexes in this thread? T-rex lived 65 million years ago, Terra Nova is 85 million years ago, GAWD! :p
    You all fail palaeontology.
    (I saw in the credits ether have a dino advisor guy)

SpoilerTV have an awesome Dino refrence guide...incl. human kills count! :D

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/09/terra-nova-season-1-dinosaur-reference.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1, I've enjoyed it. I know it's crappy saturday-afternoon family drama, but I wasn't expecting anything more from it. I suppose though it was way to expensive to survive as that type of show.

It really annoys me that they take on relatively unique and original concepts for shows, but then ruin them by scripting them with the same old tired cliches and tropes that have been hashed out countless times in every other show.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Guys, from reading that post, the show isn't dead.
    FOX entertainment president Kevin Reilly told reporters at the TCA Summer Press Tour the network could only commitment to 13 installments for its first season. "Even in success there's no scenario that 'Terra Nova' comes back this year for timing reasons," he said at the time. "Whether it's 22 next year, contractually it's 22. Whether that's something we can ultimately do we're going to have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found the recent episode disappointing and the show has come across a bit too Stargate-esque for my liking whereas I was hoping for something a bit more challenging and Lost-like (but with a more logical plot). It's a bit too family-oriented and typical Spielberg (son with daddy issues, eldest girl experiencing her first love etc.)

I wouldn't like to see it canned as I think it could be good but right now the dinosaurs seem like background scenery for an emotional drama rather than a significant part of the show. I think perhaps it would be better if their home gets destroyed fairly sharpish and they must then fend for themselves in the wild to give it more of a Jurassic Park feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The whole kids thing is absolutely mind numbing, the son should do us all a favour and get himself eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yerone seems a bit too keen on him whats her agenda?

Advertisement