Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backlit fountain C+C

• 21-06-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

3935040508_b78421d5d5_b.jpg

3935057398_52a58eba8b_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Nice but I think they're a bit too dark. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭plasticman3327

The framing of the shots doesnt really grab me either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

The framing of the shots doesnt really grab me either
    Maybe the buildings distract?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭plasticman3327

Yea there is alot going on and it just seems to take away from the fountain which should be the main subject.

I'm spending more time trying to work out what the buildings are then looking at the fountain.

Might just be me though but it seems to draw my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Overexposed where the sun shines through and underexposed for all the buildings. Presuming they were taken in the afternoon sun. Think they would be better taken when the light is a little less harsh.
    Also the first one isn't straight and the framing is a bit odd in both photos imo, nothing about them grabs me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I like the second one but maybe crop out some of the black at the bottom of the frame and possibly a little on the sides to take out the patch of sky stretching down on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Crispin wrote: »
    Overexposed where the sun shines through and underexposed for all the buildings. Presuming they were taken in the afternoon sun. Think they would be better taken when the light is a little less harsh.
    Also the first one isn't straight and the framing is a bit odd in both photos imo, nothing about them grabs me.

cheers, I'd love to know a way of getting it so the buildings are in correct exposure + the sun !!! impossible no ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

the_monkey wrote: »
    cheers, I'd love to know a way of getting it so the buildings are in correct exposure + the sun !!! impossible no ??

Lol, I didn't claim I was giving helpful C & C ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

the_monkey wrote: »

Multiple exposures or *whispers* HDR :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nforce wrote: »
    Multiple exposures or *whispers* HDR :)

HDR is something i need to try .. I keep putting it off, I fear it or something ??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

2nd is better than first but i'm not really warming to them.. Sorry...

Dynamic range of taking highlights and shadows is something that most cameras are fairly poor at (as are our eyes actually if you think about it - although much better than the camera sensors). Ever look at the sun for a couple of seconds, then cry as you think your eyes have just been burnt for a few minutes while your retina recovers? Cameras are pretty similar. They can differentiate just so much and beyond that you are talking 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 (shadows and highs)

Here's an old thread which I got some good feedback on on this subject. There are many different approaches, mostly some form of 'trickery' :eek: - all highlighting that basically cameras aren't cut out for dealing with such scenes particularly well without a certain amount of 'help'.

I'd almost suggest that the compositions are too 'busy' in what you've posted above and to simplify would be the way to go if you were to do it again and if it were possible.

I actually don't mind blown highlights or deep shadows for such an image (there are obviously inappropriate times to use it also) - it is the reality of the situation.

Hope that is of some use.

Advertisement