Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Rig 1100 euro Limit.

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I built my first computer just before xmas for a friend with help from this board and ive finally got some money to build my own :D

Hoping someone can help me put together a gaming rig. Have about 1100 to spend but i need everything (monitor, os, keyboard and mouse, speakers). I should be able to put it together fine but picking out the parts is a different story :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

smithy1981 wrote: »
    Hey,

I built my first computer just before xmas for a friend with help from this board and ive finally got some money to build my own :D

Hoping someone can help me put together a gaming rig. Have about 1100 to spend but i need everything (monitor, os, keyboard and mouse, speakers). I should be able to put it together fine but picking out the parts is a different story :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tell me the site you are ordering from and what resolution you want for the monitor and I'll see what I can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Tell me the site you are ordering from and what resolution you want for the monitor and I'll see what I can do :)

Haven't picked a site to order from, whatever works out cheapest i guess :)

1900x1080 i suppose, I was looking at this: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2701048/art/lg/w2361v-pf-23-tft-widescre.html#tech-specs

Im not set on it or anything so if you know of something better, leave me know :)

Here, you may want other's opinions on this though, as I am still a week or two away from building my first PC.

dolvtc.png

Also, you'll want to order the Operating System from somewhere else, get an OEM 64-bit version (or a retail version, as they have both 32 and 64-bit).

Also, I can make it better if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

One thing I might recommend is a newer revision on the motherboard, e.g.,
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4959163/art/gigabyte/ga-890gpa-ud3h-am3-socket.html

Newer features such as USB 3, SATA 6Gbps. Also, I'd invest more in the processor than a dual core, if the budget can extend to €1100, unless you want to take the risk of possibly unlocking it.

• Advertisement

If you can make it better then work away :) I changed the cpu and mobo as advised by monotype and came up with this
    build1.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hows it looking now?

Looks good :D Similar to the build I am making soon, except I'm getting the DualCore version of that CPU and a 5830 instead of a 5770.

Remember to get the OS from somewhere else, unless you want an Italian Windows 7 xD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

In case you go ordering that straight away, that motherboard takes DDR3 ram, and you have DDR2 in that shopping list

Looks good :D Similar to the build I am making soon, except I'm getting the DualCore version of that CPU and a 5830 instead of a 5770.

Remember to get the OS from somewhere else, unless you want an Italian Windows 7 xD

Will do, thx again for the help.
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    In case you go ordering that straight away, that motherboard takes DDR3 ram, and you have DDR2 in that shopping list

I'll be ordering it soon, thanks for pointing that out. Will this one do?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3777396/art/ocz/obsidian-low-voltage-2-x.html

Yup, should do.

• Advertisement

Should do, might help if you say what you will be using it for. If you are doing a lot of video encoding etc. might be worth plumping for the hexacore, and whether you intend to overclock it.

Also if you don't order in the next day or so you might get some advice from some of the experienced system builders on here, as i certainly am not!

They will point out things like you seem to be missing a PSU :pac:

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Should do, might help if you say what you will be using it for. If you are doing a lot of video encoding etc. might be worth plumping for the hexacore, and whether you intend to overclock it.

Also if you don't order in the next day or so you might get some advice from some of the experienced system builders on here, as i certainly am not!

They will point out things like you seem to be missing a PSU :pac:

I have the PSU from VenomIreland's build above as well as cheap speakers, keyboard and mouse. Price is 1085 euro now so dont want to go over that.

I'll mainly be using it for gaming and general pc stuff, ill wait a while to see if anyone else has anything to add before I order. Thx again

I have the PSU from VenomIreland's build above as well as cheap speakers, keyboard and mouse. Price is 1085 euro now so dont want to go over that.

I'll mainly be using it for gaming and general pc stuff, ill wait a while to see if anyone else has anything to add before I order. Thx again

That's 1085 without an operating system. Don't forget, you need to buy one of those, get an OEM 64-bit Windows 7 to save a little money.

I have the PSU from VenomIreland's build above

Oops, should have triple checked, just couldn't see it :o

i5 build might be just about in budget as well, just to throw another option out there

I just compared some of the prices with ebuyer.com; CPU, GPU, harddrive, motherboard a cheaper. Delivery is also a good bit cheaper (weight dependent but usually <€20). Monitor is a good bit dearer because it's on a good deal with pixmania, but you might find an alternative. Also ebuyer must use google checkout. - Just a suggestion, but I don't really have the time to check up all the totals, especially with flicking between xe.com all the time!

Also for about €4 more (incl €6 delivery) that that RAM you can get this:
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/4GB_OCZ_DDR3_PC3_12800_Gold_Series_Low_Voltage_Dual_Channel_kit-8_8_8_24_/index.html
    which is nearly the same as the one you have, but a bit better on the timings (8-8-8-24 vs 9-9-9-24; lower is better).

Monotype wrote: »
    I just compared some of the prices with ebuyer.com; CPU, GPU, harddrive, motherboard a cheaper. Delivery is also a good bit cheaper (weight dependent but usually <€20). Monitor is a good bit dearer because it's on a good deal with pixmania, but you might find an alternative. Also ebuyer must use google checkout. - Just a suggestion, but I don't really have the time to check up all the totals, especially with flicking between xe.com all the time!

http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/4GB_OCZ_DDR3_PC3_12800_Gold_Series_Low_Voltage_Dual_Channel_kit-8_8_8_24_/index.html
    which is nearly the same as the one you have, but a bit better on the timings (8-8-8-24 vs 9-9-9-24; lower is better).

Ebuyer recently removed Google Checkout (at least, last I checked) so there is nor way to order from them anymore, as Paypal doesn't work.

Ebuyer recently removed Google Checkout (at least, last I checked) so there is nor way to order from them anymore, as Paypal doesn't work.

:eek: :(

I liked them. Their delivery was really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

That's 1085 without an operating system. Don't forget, you need to buy one of those, get an OEM 64-bit Windows 7 to save a little money.
    I'm sure he has factored in "buying" an OS ;)

Monotype wrote: »

Thx, ill check a few more sites for prices when I get in this evening.
    Deaddude wrote: »
    I'm sure he has factored in "buying" an OS ;)

Yeah I have the OS covered ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

If you're willing to drop 1 inch on that monitor, you can get the 22" version for €149.99 (I just invested in it myself). They also have a non-HDMI (but still 1920*1080) version for €119.99 at 22 inches.

• Advertisement

I Held off for a week and was able to increase my budget to about 1200 excluding the monitor which ill get somewhere else.

Could somebody have a look at this and see will everything work together?/ and if its good value or not? Cheers [IMG][/img]build2.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You want 2X2GB sticks of RAM, not 3X2GB.

That was quick :)

Changed them for this http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22729&agid=891

hows the rest of it looking?

Awesome looking :)

Awesome looking :)

Cool, ill be ordering this in a couple of hours unless anyone else has anything to add. Thx again Venom.

The psu i had wont be in stock for 2 weeks. How much power will i need for this system? I read the advice on this forum about never getting a cheap psu so any recommendations on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Why 2x2 instead of 3x2?

Deaddude wrote: »
    Why 2x2 instead of 3x2?

AM3 isn't Triple Channel.

The psu i had wont be in stock for 2 weeks. How much power will i need for this system? I read the advice on this forum about never getting a cheap psu so any recommendations on one?

You'll want more than just me saying this, but the Corsair 750W would be more than adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Advertisement