Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Osvaldo Ardiles is awful, bring in Guillum Balague or Roberto Martinez or someone

• 21-06-2010 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I have no idea what he is saying half of the time.

"it is' a good game today, the pitch plays good for the teams, who score most of the goals. I think the Denmark will win".

All in a rapid accent. Anyone with me? Can't they afford to hire Guillum Balague from Spain? He would be 10000X better than this pundit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Balague is the Spanish Dunphy. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ballague is a complete twat, but yes I agree Ardilles is also crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

CorkMan wrote: »
    I have no idea what he is saying half of the time.

"it is' a good game today, the pitch plays good for the teams, who score most of the goals. I think the Denmark will win".

All in a rapid accent. Anyone with me? Can't they afford to hire Guillum Balague from Spain? He would be 10000X better than this pundit.

Ozzie's a legend, you leave him alone.

Ballague is a spoofer

Coming from a Cork man OP ? :p

Only kidding, yeah I can't listen to him tbh. I'd sooner listen to Whelan which says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

But come on! Osvaldo appears to be brought in as the cheapest world cup winner they could get on the panel.

Balague would have great analysis, and he speaks fluent English and not too quick too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Christ, don't be afraid to try culture yourselves listening to a non-British Isles accent. It's a big world out there, embrace it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Balague would have great analysis

now i know you're taking the p*ss.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He does talk a bit fast sometimes but he seems to know his stuff.

SlickRic wrote: »
    now i know you're taking the p*ss.

thanks.

I listened to him before, he has been great for sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I sometimes wonder if people who have complained about Ossie have ever been abroad in their life.

The man, as I posted in other threads has a heavy accent but is perfectly understandable. You do realise he is speaking in a foreign language for him. Wonder if you realise how difficult that is?

I haven't heard anything wrong with his comments so far so just broaden your horizons....not every one can speak 'Cork'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he waffles, spoofs and covers his cr*p with 'my sources tell me' constantly.

he plays the 'i'm Spanish, therefore I have all the sources you wish you had' card far too often, and he generally has a smug face on him while doing it.

watch him next time.

he hedges his bets constantly with rumours; he'll never outright break any sort of news, but merely speculate using his 'sources' line.

he could have told you Rafa's leaving, while implying Rafa's staying, in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ballague makes Jamie Redknapp look like a top top pundit! I'd rather turn on the dodgy Chinese sopcast streams half time coverage than listen to Ballague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

SlickRic wrote: »
    he plays the 'i'm Spanish, therefore I have all the sources you wish you had'

Edit: Wrong man, sorry. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

he's great for what sky sports want, where the quantity of talking is of higher priority than the substance in whats been said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't dislike him as a pundit because of his accent, I dislike him because he offers nothing new. Hamann was different. Brush up on your South American football Dietar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Leave Ossie alone, Im having a great laugh at his mumblings, utterances and general manager like talk. He just waffles on without giving a whole lot of insight, he rarely mentions players names or talks about tactics. He just mumbles some sort of drivel and it has me in stitches laughing. Go on Ossie ya mad thing :D

murpho999 wrote: »

The man, as I posted in other threads has a heavy accent but is perfectly understandable. You do realise he is speaking in a foreign language for him. Wonder if you realise how difficult that is?

Have you heared Dieterr Hamann? I never even knew English wasn't his first english for a while, he spoke with such grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Have you heared Dieterr Hamann? I never even knew English wasn't his first english for a while, he spoke with such grace.

Haven't been watching football long then no? Did you not know he was German at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I can understand him fine, he is good for his knowledge on some of the lesser known teams.

Yes, but he is younger, and comes from Germany where they are thought English in school from a young age. The name Dietmar Hamman, is also a give away that German might be his first language, as well playing for Germany in 2002 World Cup Final.
    Ossie, is from another generation, growing up in the 50's & 60's in Argentina I'm sure didn't entail English lessons and arrived at 'Tottingham' without a word of English.

So he is completely self taught, and has done a pretty good job.

Think it's very unfair of you to come on here and berate him just because of his accent.

• Advertisement

i'm just saying surely RTE could get a better punter. I find difficulty in understanding him sometimes, and I reckon RTE could have got a better pundit.

I said I think Guillem Balague would be a good candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Guillem Balague??? Are you mad???

I can see it now

Bill: Take us through the first goal, Guilleme.
    Balague: Well my sources in Barchhelona tell me that it was definitely a goal.
    Bill: Well I think we can see that ourselves.
    Balague: Yessh my sources also tell me that Rafa Benitez thinks it was a goal and is very interested in the job at Madrid.
    Brady: He's a spoofer, Billlllll

Ossie is grand. The man is a world cup winner ffs, not some rent a quote journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

struggled to understand what Ardiles just said there, i doubt im the only one

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

He is not great. Definitely a real step down from Hamann anyway.

Seems heavily biased towards S.American countries and yes I know he is from there. Kept rubbishing the Swiss team. Their tactics worked against Spain Ossie, that is why they used them again and if they didn't have a man unfairly sent off they might have attacked more.

There was alot of people they could have got in instead.

whats this about "the crazy one" who locks himself in his farm for six months and only watched football? from the mouth of Ozzy

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

whats this about "the crazy one" who locks himself in his farm for six months and only watched football? from the mouth of Ozzy

I guessed the Chile manager. Who knows really...:(

If you concentrate you can make out most of what he says. But in all fairness who wants to concentrate on making out a pundits words. We should not need to.

Panel have spouted some bollocks in this analysis. Maloney encouraging them as well.

he was on about england and france in the world cup final there.

RATM wrote: »
    Leave Ossie alone, Im having a great laugh at his mumblings, utterances and general manager like talk. He just waffles on without giving a whole lot of insight, he rarely mentions players names or talks about tactics. He just mumbles some sort of drivel and it has me in stitches laughing. Go on Ossie ya mad thing :D

basically so we have an Argentinian Dunphy albeit with a world cup medal in his arse pocket (oh sorry....i meant in the bank :D)

i like Ossie. he is funny and not afraid to shoot from the hip if not a little hard to understand. :)

Didn't he play for "Tottingham" one time?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, but he is younger, and comes from Germany where they are thought English in school from a young age. The name Dietmar Hamman, is also a give away that German might be his first language, as well playing for Germany in 2002 World Cup Final.
    Ossie, is from another generation, growing up in the 50's & 60's in Argentina I'm sure didn't entail English lessons and arrived at 'Tottingham' without a word of English.

So he is completely self taught, and has done a pretty good job.

Think it's very unfair of you to come on here and berate him just because of his accent.

f*ck you beat me to it. i really must start reading these threads :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

OP you must be joking. Balague is a gobshyte of the highest order. Plus Martinez is on ESPN in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i think ossie is ok,has a joke or two too, speaks fast but hey its all good, thumbs up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ossie is grand, a lot easier to understand than Adebayor on BBC. Its impossible to work out what that man is saying.

With Didi and Ossie there at least it is keeping Kenny Cunningham off our screens for a month or so. For that we should be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The irony with the OPs name.

He pronounces Argentina the Spanish way as well, as in "Ar-hen-tina" rather than the english way of "Ar-gen-tina".

Though tonight I think he will be alright since he should have good inside into argentine football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He pronounces Argentina the Spanish way as well, as in "Ar-hen-tina" rather than the english way of "Ar-gen-tina".

Though tonight I think he will be alright since he should have good inside into argentine football.
    Why should he pronounce it the way u want? It's his country.
    Ossie>>>>>>>> roberto Martinez IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

im starting to understand him a bit more. A bit like the Copa America it took a while to grasp. He is a legendary player and im very interested in what he has to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Ballague is not a twat. Why all the hate? Leave him alone. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Dean820 wrote: »
    Ballague is not a twat. Why all the hate? Leave him alone. :(

He's a spoofer.

Why should he pronounce Argentina the English way?

Fromvert wrote: »
    Why should he pronounce Argentina the English way?

Because he is speaking his views for a largely english speaking audience. Lots of people won't know what "Ar-hen-tina" means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Because he is speaking his views for a largely english speaking audience. Lots of people won't know what "Ar-hen-tina" means.

:pac:

I would really worry for those people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

:rolleyes: Clutching at straws Man. ffs the man is Argentinian. Perhaps you'd like Souness to drop his Scottish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

But sure you lot pronounce 'Cork' as Cark when youre speaking to an english speaking audience. I dont know what youre saying and demand you disist. :rolleyes:

Do you honestly believe that people who have tuned into RTE2 to watch Greece v Argentina, will see the very famous Ossje Ardilles from Argentina and when he says 'Argentina' the correct way that the audience will have no idea what he was talking about. Your post beggars belief.
    So if Hamman had accidentally said 'Deutschland' last week you think the whole nation would be scratching their head?
    I wonder if you are just trolling at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't wait for Apres Match to take the piss outta the guy. I like him but its hard to keep up with what he says.

"The Greeks don't have the mentality to take on Brazil"

"I was disappointed with the swiss tonight"

?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

He may be impossible to understand, but he made a grat point about Greece. Greece can't go toe to toe with Argentina and expect to win. they'd be picked off. There are only about 4 teams in the competition who could do it. Greece played them the only way they had a chance and had Samaras scored, it would have worked.
    Crist, even Brazil didn't try to play them at their own game in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ozzie's not that hard ti understand. Yeah, you have to strain your ears a bit, but he gets his point across.

I think he's a great addition with his knowledge of South American football!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Are you having a laugh? So it's perfectly fine that Paul McGrath went through his whole career in England being pronounced Paul McGratt? And that Andy Keogh is pronounced Keyho? And I'm sure there are numerous other examples.

Things should be pronounced the way they are in their home countries no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement