Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sandbox/sandpit

Options
  • 21-06-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Can someone refer me to where I can get a very ordinary wooden sandbox[with a cover]. decent sized.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Smyths. They have pretty big ones with a cover.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Those plastic with lid ones are actually flippin' rubbish. We have one and they're great until the lid blows off in the winter time on a stormy night. Then you're screwed because your sand is all wet and there's a puddle in the sand pit that you can't get rid of and that represents a danger / pain in the bum.

If you can get a wooden one that you can somehow build into the garden (so that any water drains away into the soil) it's gonna be substantially more useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pfm

I bought one of these and they're great:

http://www.outdoor-toys-europe.com/wooden-sandboxes-sandpits/index.html?gclid=CNXL-pW0s6ICFZ6Y2AodpyZ_3w

4ft x 6ft one shipped from Germany for €15. They have bigger ones but the this is the biggest you can get for €15 shipping.

It requires basic DIY skills to assemble but I would recommend you use an electric screwdriver if you don't want a sore hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They are not so good unless you have a lid other wise cats from miles around will use it as a large litter tray, this negating the point of getting the sterilised play sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

pfm wrote: »
    I bought one of these and they're great:

http://www.outdoor-toys-europe.com/wooden-sandboxes-sandpits/index.html?gclid=CNXL-pW0s6ICFZ6Y2AodpyZ_3w

4ft x 6ft one shipped from Germany for €15. They have bigger ones but the this is the biggest you can get for €15 shipping.

It requires basic DIY skills to assemble but I would recommend you use an electric screwdriver if you don't want a sore hand.

I had a look at these. It looks like you get just a frame? Do they come with a base? How do you stop the grass in the garden growing through and can you move them when you need to get the lawn done?

• Advertisement

Yes you also need the lid to stop the sand blowing away.

Obviously the sand stops being sterile once you open the bag.

I had a look at these. It looks like you get just a frame? Do they come with a base? How do you stop the grass in the garden growing through and can you move them when you need to get the lawn done?

The site sells a barrier sheet for a couple of Euro which prevents grass and roots growing but allows rain water to drain through to the soil. They're too big to move. If you want a decent sized sand pit that the kids cant get in to, the weight of sand makes it an immovable object anyway. You're talking about a few hundred kilos of sand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They are not so good unless you have a lid other wise cats from miles around will use it as a large litter tray, this negating the point of getting the sterilised play sand.

A very simple lid
    make-wooden-sandbox-1.6-800X800.jpg

OP, if you google it, there's even a person in Dublin who makes and delivers them for free (locally)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Khannie wrote: »
    Those plastic with lid ones are actually flippin' rubbish. We have one and they're great until the lid blows off in the winter time on a stormy night. Then you're screwed because your sand is all wet and there's a puddle in the sand pit that you can't get rid of and that represents a danger / pain in the bum.

Easy to secure the lid surely for when it is not in use. Loads of ways of doing it. Use something like this or a DIY job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

There are a few half price in Argos UK. If you are able to go up north or have someone to deliver to up there, it might be an option.

Argos Sandboxes

45-3650543aA69UC450055T.jpg Half Price £22.49 (€61.99 in Argos Ireland)

45-3650976A73UC624280T.jpg £29.99 (€39.99 in Argos Ireland)

45-3650093A67UC321896T.jpg Half Price £24.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

We got one of these in Argos for €99.99. Great investment, our kids love it! The lid lifts off for sand-pit mode and goes on again for food mode.
    It's self assembly, but my hubby had it done easily enough in about half an hour with a screwdriver.

image.php?type=P&id=16175

Advertisement