Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

aero2k wrote: »
    There's always someone faster to look up to - unless your name is Haile!

Thanks aero, that was my attempt at being humble :)

Monday: 8 miles handy along canal and trails. Legs felt fine, a little sore at first but loosened out. Mileage for last week was just below 60 miles. Hope to get 2 solid weeks in now and then start easing off before GIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sunday: 9 miles total, 5km race in 16.05. Very happy with race. Haven't done any sort of 5k specific training so was pleasantly surprised I was able to go close to 16 minutes for 5km. Was a little windy out on certain sections of the course and definitely cost me a few seconds. Played it smart by not going off too hard as in previous years. Some of my splits (see below) would lead you to believe I ran erratically but it was a good sustained effort but did push an extra bit on the final km. I was constantly moving up through the field. Actually finished race quite strongly and feel there is a good 10k on the cards in 3 weeks time.

1km - 3.08
    2km - 3.14
    3km - 3.17
    4km - 3.20
    5km - 3.06

Looks like you were pretty close to one of our lads he came 15th in 16:02 - did you have a ding dong or were you closing on him?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Looks like you were pretty close to one of our lads he came 15th in 16:02 - did you have a ding dong or were you closing on him?

I think I know the guy you are talking about. Had a bray singlet on? Put it this way I never saw his face only the back of his singlet! I was closing on him but didn't get close enough to have any chance of beating him.

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 6.42 along canal and trails. Was in the mood to do more but didn't as 2 days after a race isn't the time to be pushing mileage. In my experience I usually get injured. If I'm honest I was only supposed to do 6 miles Monday and Tuesday. Need to watch my over exuberance.

Wednesday: 10.5 miles @ 6.28 pace. Work related stuff had me pissed off today so much so I was in no form to run. Managed to haul my ass and what a beautiful day it is today. Definitely helped develop my farmer tan. Surprised at pace, felt a lot slower. By the time I'd finished my run, a work related plan of action had been hatched and I'm no longer in the dumps, result :)

My plan to incorporate double days has not gone well. Half of it is a time issue and the second half is a routine issue. Realistically for me to do double days I need to incorporate it into my commute. I live too far from my place of work for this, but I may have a strategy to overcome this as I can get a lift half way into work and could run in from there and back there in the evening. Looks promising.

Will take is easy tomorrow and hit something hard either Friday/Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I think I know the guy you are talking about. Had a bray singlet on? Put it this way I never saw his face only the back of his singlet! I was closing on him but didn't get close enough to have any chance of beating him.

Yes, the understated bright orange with BRAY in small font :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭aero2k

Thanks aero, that was my attempt at being humble :)

I find having the odd browse here helps with the humility - warning: may lead to making a bonfire of running gear!
    Link

(It seems I'm either 9 or 70....)

Thursday: 8 miles @ 6.57 pace along canal and trails. Lovely day, ran a little quicker than planned as I was with a friend and he was dictating the pace.

Friday: 9.5 miles total. 5 X 1 mile reps with 2.5 minutes recovery. Average pace 5.20. This was a lot harder then it should have been. Have been running a little too fast during the week on my easy days and it came back to haunt me today. Legs were heavyish but breathing was fine. This was all done early this morning. Work wise and training wise I don't function well in the morning and am more of an evening person, which is a pity as most races are run early in the day :rolleyes: Will make sure to ease pace back next week as I've two tough sessions planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I find having the odd browse here helps with the humility - warning: may lead to making a bonfire of running gear!
    Link

jaysus - just clicked on that link....who lets a 5 year old run a marathon? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Link

People running marathons at 93! At that age, I'd be proud with being able to go to the toilet by myself.

jaysus - just clicked on that link....who lets a 5 year old run a marathon? :eek:

I'm very impressed with young Bucky Cox, he took 1hr 18 mins off his time in a year. Hats off to Wesley Paul though 4.04 to 2.56 in just over 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'm very impressed with young Bucky Cox

I wouldnt go round telling people that, you'll get a name for yourself...

Saturday: 4 miles @ 8 minute pace. Just wanted to loosen legs out.

Sunday: 16 miles @ 7.10 pace. Half on road half on grass. Met an old friend of mine and ran the grass part with hi. Very enjoyable run. Weekly mileage was ~65 miles. Have a toughish week ahead and then will ease back next week.

Monday: 6 miles very easy. Wasn't in the form or any fit state to run early in the day so waited until the evening. Had to drag my tired ass out the door. Not really enjoyable.

Tuesday: Session, 8*1km with 90 second recovery. Averaged 3.25 for each rep. Felt a bit slow at first as running partner wanted to keep pace down (he raced the weekend). Pace was probably sensible as have another session this week.

Wednesday: 8 miles in ~1hr along canal and trails. Running with a friend so took it nice and easy.

Thursday: 10 miles @ 6.45 pace along canal. Very breezy but enjoyable run, had to keep an eye on pace was moving too fast.

Friday: bottled a session. Crap day in work headed out for session but decided against it as was very windy and a fallen tree was partially blocking my loop:rolleyes: Just wasn't in the mood if I'm honest and decided to rearrange for Saturday. Was raging Friday night as I knew chances of running session would be reduced. 8 miles @ 7.15 pace along trails.

Saturday: Amazingly I got planned session in although bad discipline with my pace meant the session was all over the place and not what was prescribed. Plan was 14 miles with 8 miles between 46.30-47 minutes. Rest to be run very easy. First 2 warm up miles were too fast both under 7 minutes and was running up an incline as well. Lashed into session and after 3 miles realised I was moving way too quick, couldn't cool the pace though so when I reached first 8 miles I was on 47ish this meant miles 2-8 were way too quick kept going to bring hard running section up to 10k which I finished in just under 35 minutes. Obviously I was happy enough with running that in training but as the summer goes on longer tempo runs are required and lack of discipline like today's won't cut it. 14 miles total in 89 minutes.

Going to take it relatively handy next week. Will do a light session Tuesday/Wednesday but the rest will be handy running. I'm entering a mini racing phase :) I love to race but have held back in the hope that 4 months solid training with a couple of races will bring some personal success. This training phase hasn't gone to plan exactly but not bad overall. This is my 5th or 6th consecutive week hitting over 60 miles per week. I've ran more miles this year than I had at this time last last year (and I was training for an April marathon last year :o)

I Will race next Sunday. I expect to break my PB although course is a toughie so may not run what I think I should. Will take it easy for the following 5-6 days then run BHAA 10k in the K-club. I expect to run fast here again. I'm then going to do the Dundalk half marathon at the start of May. Half marathon will be used to judge progress and hopefully I'll run another in August and see further improvements. After Dundalk I will be taking it handy for a couple of weeks (weddings and few days holidays) before returning to base training, then mid June the Road to Berlin begins. Bring it

Sunday: Took day off. Was thinking of doing 4-6 handy miles but would have been late doing them so took a rest day. First in ages actually.

Monday: Felt like ****e, should have got out yesterday. Ran an 8 mile loop on canal bank and trails. Poxy wind better head off before Sunday. Last years attempt to break 34 minutes for 10km was seriously hampered by wind.

Tuesday: 8 miles @ 6.30 pace along back roads and canal bank. Felt ****e again this morning but grand when started running. Did plenty of stretching last night, something I neglected Saturday and Sunday, so that could be responsible for me feeling lethargic yesterday.

Was lounging along back roads when suddenly a dog came out of no where and bit me on the lower calf. Luckily I reacted quick enough and he didn't break the skin. Jarred my knee a little though although it feels grand now. I know the back roads quite well and where all the angry dogs live. Generally they can't get near ya but this is a new kid on the block. I'm thinking of going for a drive later and ramming the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

That's really not on.
    Ramming him with the car might be slightly OTT but I'd certainly call around and tell them what their dog did - might be advisable to bring a stick!
    If it belongs to a farmer who looks like he might not appreciate your visit it might be easier to send around your local dog warden either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 JinkyJ

Some amazing PBs there RoadRunner..........

Patrick_K wrote: »
    That's really not on.
    Ramming him with the car might be slightly OTT but I'd certainly call around and tell them what their dog did - might be advisable to bring a stick!
    If it belongs to a farmer who looks like he might not appreciate your visit it might be easier to send around your local dog warden either.

Survival of the fittest is my motto ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Hahaha you're probably right. You live by the sword, etc etc ... ;)

*Disclaimer - I in no way condone cruelty to animals.
    **No dogs were maimed, injured or killed in the making of the post - yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Was lounging along back roads when suddenly a dog came out of no where and bit me on the lower calf. Luckily I reacted quick enough and he didn't break the skin. Jarred my knee a little though although it feels grand now. I know the back roads quite well and where all the angry dogs live. Generally they can't get near ya but this is a new kid on the block. I'm thinking of going for a drive later and ramming the bastard.

Nightmare scenario. Happened to me during the Athlone 3/4 marathon last year, really shakes you up. I hate cruelty to animals but if you're being attacked, the gloves are off. As Tom Cruise said in Magnolia: If they come near me, I'll F u c k i n g drop kick those dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Next time launch him into the canal and see if he can swim.

Next time launch him into the canal and see if he can swim.

Ah yes, a la mon ami "Milo". Unfortunately I was no where near the canal when the mutt sunk his fangs of death into my beautiful legs.

I took the scenic route home (golf club ready for protection) to see if the dog was still around. No sign of him and the house where he came from said they don't have a dog. Must have been an angry littlest hobo

tunguska wrote: »
    Nightmare scenario. Happened to me during the Athlone 3/4 marathon last year, really shakes you up. I hate cruelty to animals but if you're being attacked, the gloves are off. As Tom Cruise said in Magnolia: If they come near me, I'll F u c k i n g drop kick those dogs.

Ah wasn't so bad really just got an awful fright. You running Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sorry to hear about the dog bite RR. Kick in the snout definitely ok in that situation.

...or you could grab the f***er and bite back....

Wednesday: 7 miles with 8*2 minutes hard 1 minute recovery. Little bit tired as yesterdays pace was a little quicker than planned. Legs felt good though. Will now pamper the legs to get them nice and fresh for Sunday. A nice warm bath and stretching this evening. Heading to the magician tomorrow evening so he can magic any little knots out. Will run 6 tomorrow, 5 Friday and 4 Saturday, all at recovery pace and will throw in strides as well.

Ah wasn't so bad really just got an awful fright. You running Sunday?

Yeah gonna give it a crack. It'll be a howler though, been out for 8 weeks with heel injury. Just gonna turn up on the day and see what happens.
    No pressure on me, but sub 34 is expected of you sir.

Yeah gonna give it a crack. It'll be a howler though, been out for 8 weeks with heel injury. Just gonna turn up on the day and see what happens.
    No pressure on me, but sub 34 is expected of you sir.

How did you get the heel injury?

How did you get the heel injury?

Remember that evening we did the 1 mile reps and I said that my heel was giving me a bit of trouble? I should've stopped running then and there but I did a cross country race the following week, which was a mudbath, and really fecked myself up. Been on the sidelines ever since. Probably shouldnt race on sunday but I feel the need for a good blowout.

• Advertisement

Remember that evening we did the 1 mile reps and I said that my heel was giving me a bit of trouble? I should've stopped running then and there but I did a cross country race the following week, which was a mudbath, and really fecked myself up. Been on the sidelines ever since. Probably shouldnt race on sunday but I feel the need for a good blowout.
    if it's any consolation that session messed my shins up for a few weeks and they are still a little tight now!

Did you get your number in the post yet? Mine still hasn't arrived. Rang AAI office today and they said there is a delay as they are coming from UK. The fact they asked me for my date of birth and my t-shirt size over the phone doesn't fill me with confidence.

Advertisement